[game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

[game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Happenin' news on what is happening in the community. Content releases, new tutorials, other cool stuff.
Post Reply
User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

[game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by Forboding Angel » 07 Aug 2018, 18:44

Image

Holy crap. Clickbait title indeed! So this is what happens when you amusedly search google for a clickbait title generator and plug in your own stuff (No, evo is not moving away from github… we aren’t insane lol).

Before I get into anything though, I want to mention that I’m trying out a new format for newsposts. I HATE writing news stuff with a passion. So what I’m going to try now is “micro news”, as in, I’m going to pick narrow subjects that are important, write a paragraph or whatever I need to to explain it, and call it a day. Perhaps if I do news this way, I can be persuaded to write news stuff more often.

Continue Reading...
1 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

[game][Evolution RTS] The uncensored cheat sheet to Energy Usage!

Post by Forboding Angel » 07 Aug 2018, 18:45

Image

Energy usage has changed, a lot. No longer will your units require energy to fire. This change means that you will no longer have to worry about your army being completely unable to fire if your energy economy tanks. The energy to fire mechanism was unique and was a neat little mechanic, but the problem is that it was always simply to opaque to end users, especially newbies.

Continue reading "The uncensored cheat sheet to Energy Usage!"
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

[game][Evolution RTS] The Future is all about flashy Effects

Post by Forboding Angel » 07 Aug 2018, 18:46

Image

Evolution RTS has seen a little bit of an effects overhaul recently with regards to base structures. In this screenshot I tried to cram all of them in one shot, but I’m missing a few. Regardless, the effects are actually color coded to show the structure’s tier level. Orange is Tech 0; Orange and blue is Tech 1; Orange, blue, and purple is Tech 2; Orange, blue, purple, and green is Tech 3.

Continue reading "The Future is all about flashy Effects"
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

[game][Evolution RTS] The top 5 most annoying things about Defensive Turrets

Post by Forboding Angel » 07 Aug 2018, 18:47

Image

If I had the smallest sum of money every time that I thought that I had defensive turrets dialed in, I would be an exceedingly rich man. However, past failures of balance help shape the balance of tomorrow, or something like that. But while we’re on the subject of pointless lists…

Continue reading "The top 5 most annoying things about Defensive Turrets"
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

[game][Evolution RTS] Drones on a low budget  – 4 Strategies to make it work

Post by Forboding Angel » 07 Aug 2018, 18:48

Image

Aircraft have been revamped, renamed, and are now Drone Platforms. Aircraft (Drones) in the Spring Engine are a difficult beast. They are unpredictable, impossible to really control. In a lot of ways, it’s almost as if aircraft in the spring engine follow form over function. By that I mean that they tend to look really good if you set them up properly, but at the same time, their dps tends to be all over the place due to unpredictable flight behavior, sometimes they will leave the map and become unresponsive, etc.

Continue reading "Drones on a low budget  – 4 Strategies to make it work"
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

[game][Evolution RTS] Messing with music: What your mother never told you…

Post by Forboding Angel » 07 Aug 2018, 18:49

Image

The Enigma TNG is back!!! But it gets even better! We recently got permission from the AMAZING Dreamstate Logic to use his music in Evolution RTS! If you haven’t heard either of these guys, let me just say that they are INCREDIBLE. That is what your mother never told you, because she wasn’t cool enough to find them on her own.

Continue reading "Messing with music: What your mother never told you…"
1 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 9961
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: [game][Evolution RTS] Messing with music: What your mother never told you…

Post by PicassoCT » 07 Aug 2018, 21:02

Wow
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3494
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: [game][Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by abma » 08 Aug 2018, 14:48

merged the posts, please avoid posting minor things.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32596

"3) It has to be major enough"


also it doesn't show up for some reason on the frontpage: https://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=6028
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: [game][Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by Forboding Angel » 09 Aug 2018, 01:28

abma wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 14:48
merged the posts, please avoid posting minor things.

I just won't post any news here at all, that saves me a lot of time. Please delete this topic.

Edit: And, for what it's worth. Every single one of these things was a major change as each affected gameplay in a pretty significant way.

Energy usage
Well, when you completely change a core element of gameplay that has been established for years, what is that called?

DAI
Might not seem like a lot, but a complete AI overhaul isn't exactly a small thing.

Flashy Effects
Yeah this is much more trivial than most, but it has a direct effect on being able to see tech level at a glance.

Defensive Turrets
When you completely change how turrets int he game work and completely change the way they are used, that is also a major change.

Drones
This completely changed the way that ALL air worked, Including how you use them. But no, definitely not a major change.

Music
Massive overhaul of how the player works, adding tons of new content, adding the ability for playing snippets and parts dynamically, far beyond what my original TA based music player does. No big deal.

Why don't you say what you mean?
abma wrote: merged the posts, I only accept full length dissertations.
0 x

User avatar
Floris
Balanced Annihilation Developer
Posts: 590
Joined: 04 Jan 2011, 20:00

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by Floris » 09 Aug 2018, 12:50

i think merging the posts was reasonable, since it was kinda spammy
4 x

gajop
Moderator
Posts: 2982
Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 20:42

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by gajop » 09 Aug 2018, 13:22

I think there's nothing wrong with writing smaller posts, but it might be best to split them over a larger interval.
This thing in fact crashed the main page and took a while to figure out what the cause was (did you figure it out btw?).
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3494
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by abma » 09 Aug 2018, 13:26

gajop wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 13:22
This thing in fact crashed the main page and took a while to figure out what the cause was (did you figure it out btw?).
no crash, it was by design.

https://github.com/spring/spring-websit ... ws.php#L28 + https://github.com/spring/spring-websit ... ws.php#L38

made it skip all 5 news because title was "wrong" / regex didn't match.
2 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by Forboding Angel » 09 Aug 2018, 19:30

Floris wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 12:50
i think merging the posts was reasonable, since it was kinda spammy
If that was his reason, I would have been ok with it, but that wasn't his reason, this was:
abma wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 14:48
merged the posts, please avoid posting minor things.
1 x

User avatar
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper
Posts: 9961
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 21:12

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by PicassoCT » 09 Aug 2018, 20:50

Let forb post. Post better stuff / More stuff to validate critic.
0 x

abma
Spring Developer
Posts: 3494
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by abma » 09 Aug 2018, 23:50

If that was his reason, I would have been ok with it, but that wasn't his reason, this was:
it was posted like this is the evorts homepage. posts where spammy, minor, difficult to understand, topic had very few todo with the content and should have been one post.

in other words: this is no place for "micro news" as you posted yourself in one of the posts..

do i have to explain everything in detail? sorry, i don't have the time for this. Please inform yourself. 5 News in 5 Minutes... no.

it seems you did not notice that it shows up on the front page of https://springrts.com as you did not notice that it wasn't shown at all because of invalid format of the topic and your posts made the frontpage empty. also atm format is still broken for an unknown reason.

so please the next time: one post in a few days is enough. multiple posts in one day is to much: it can't be major which should be a requirement for a post for the frontpage of springrts.com.

i appreciate your efforts but please, not at all costs. please try to be more sensitive. :?

if you still want to post micro news please use the evorts subforum.
5 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14436
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by Forboding Angel » 10 Aug 2018, 23:55

I'm starting to see what the problem is... You completely misunderstood the purpose of "Micronews". This was not a twitter 140 character sort of thing. What I meant was news about a single subject that was roughly 300 words (Optimal for SEO). However, I had a 4 month backlog, so I made several posts one right after the other.

The idea was never to take a long post and break it up into a bunch of smaller ones. You completely misunderstood the point.

That aside, it isn't my fault that your regex broke. I did nothing different in these posts than I have at any other time. In fact, the subject line was copy pasted from another post to make sure that I got the tags right.

Edit: That said, you really should be happy that I'm even bothering to try. Obviously no one else is. You may like a wasteland for a front page, but that's your issue to work out. Better to have a lot of somethings, than a whole lot of nothing.
1 x

sprunk
Posts: 80
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 07:36

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by sprunk » 12 Aug 2018, 17:00

I think by dumping all the micronews at the same time you completely ruined your attempt to convey what the purpose of the micronews is.
3 x

sprunk
Posts: 80
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 07:36

Re: [game] [Evolution RTS] Bye bye, GitHub. Hello, new DAI!

Post by sprunk » 12 Aug 2018, 17:09

(doublepost since I can't edit)

...because it made it look precisely as if you just broke up a larger post. If further microposts happen regularly every now and then (instead of being stockpiled and dumped all at once) it sounds like a decent improvement for activity though.
1 x

Post Reply

Return to “Community Blog”

cron