Spectator delay

Spectator delay

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

tzaeru

Spectator delay

Post by tzaeru »

Hi,

it'd be cool if the engine could support spectator delay, i.e. having spectator gamestate lag a little behind from the players' gamestate. This could be configurable as a modoption. The primary motivation would be making spectator cheating less viable.

I could look into adding this myself if you guys think it's feasible given the current architehture of the engine.
ThinkSome

Re: Spectator delay

Post by ThinkSome »

How about removing the ability to spectate altogether by refusing non-player connections?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

AllowSpectatorJoin already exists to block unauthenticated late-to-the-party clients.

Artificially delaying packets by a few minutes is easy, you just have to find something for specs to do on startup (blackjack and hookers?) until at least <delay> amount of game time has passed.
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

Kloot wrote:AllowSpectatorJoin already exists to block unauthenticated late-to-the-party clients.

Artificially delaying packets by a few minutes is easy, you just have to find something for specs to do on startup (blackjack and hookers?) until at least <delay> amount of game time has passed.
Yeah, was figuring that it might be as easy as just adding a delay to some specific function that handles sending the old game state to specs. Need to dig into the code at some point, see if I can find something. Pointers would be much welcomed too, if anyone can give such.

Chatting, I suppose, is a bit tougher. It'd be good if spectator messages were still "real time", but how that would be handled, I don't know. But I'm sure something can be figured out.
Senethril

Post by Senethril »

The most simple way to do it wihtout any change in the engine and hosts, wait the usage of a bot named bow by interested hosters, do not allow spec for tourney and show the replay on a live after a certain amount...the code is still developping but put in standby for one or 2 months due to activities and priorities, should be out this summer,if you dont understand see forum and bow

:wink:
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

Some games are more dynamic then others.
For example, if you delay a "BA + DSD" for 3 mins - nothing will be changed. You can still "spec cheat" base locations, intentions etc. But you will significantly reduce the amount of pleasure for spectators.
(my opinion on this topic)
Senethril

Post by Senethril »

Yeah its right but stream tend to be exhaustive content and multiply easily so at least there should be a delay a little bit more for tourneys or completly.

Return to “Engine”