map render artifacts - spring settings?

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

qray

Post by qray »

While testing a map in progress, I noticed some artifacts (is this the right word?) when testing in-game (click for higher res):

1) in the blue circled area: the reddish border gets some steps/spikes which appear/vanish depending on the zoom factor
2) in the green circled areas: the same texture is rendered quite different depending on the zoom level/distance
(since it's WIP don't bother about other areas, where incorrections probably come from the fact that they are not finished yet)

My graphics card seems bored (150-200fps), so I could turn graphics up. But I haven't yet found a variable in the settings that helps...
Is there some spring setting that could remedy these effects? Am I missing something?
Attachments
ingame_artifacts.jpg
(217.25 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
qray

Re: map render artifacts - spring settings?

Post by qray »

Thanks for the tip :-) Don't know how I could miss this when going throught the list.

But unfortunately it didn't help much. I have the impression that setting it from 120 sth. to 200 did help a bit but not much (hard to judge objectively, since finding the exact same viewing spot in-game again is a bit of luck).
Setting it to 20 (to test if it does sth.) definetely gave some funny deformations :wink:

In mapconv I used max quality and in springlobby graphic settings everything is set to max quality. So I guess I'm maybe just hitting engine limitation with all the straight lines in this map seen from large viewing distances...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

qray wrote:finding the exact same viewing spot in-game again is a bit of luck
There's a widget for that.
qray

Post by qray »

Thx. I should have guessed that there is such a widget/tool :mrgreen:

Will play around with it tomorrow.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Changing "GroundDetail" setting can be done ingame, keys are Home/Pos1 & End.

But it seems GroundDetail has no effect on texture, it only changes how detailed the map geometry is.
The artifacts with the texture on the ramp grids remind me a bit of mipmapping levels changing?

Return to “Help & Bugs”