IceUI, spring 98 and Ba 8.03 ...

Discuss your problems with the latest release of the engine here. Problems with games, maps or other utilities belong in their respective forums.

Moderator: Moderators

qray

Post by qray »

Just noticed when running BA 8.03 with IceUI on Spring 98:

Somehow the standard widgets (or built-ins?) for ressource bars, clock, fps, tooltip and console don't get disabled anymore. Or rather enabled again after IceUI disabled them...
So in the end, I have both displays: from IceUI and the standard ones (though they are displayed as disabled in the widget list).

ATM, I work around by a simple small widget that disables them using Spring.SendCommands, which I have to do in GamePreload(), since when I do it in widget:Initialize() it is also resetted.

But would be nice to understand where this comes from. Somebody has an idea what has changed that affects this?
The work-around seems a bit ugly to me :-)
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: IceUI, spring 98 and Ba 8.03 ...

Post by CarRepairer »

Are you running it on Windows 95? Upgrade to Windows 98.
qray

Post by qray »

:shock: ... and I would have thought at least ZK folks could understand my preference for old versions :wink:
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Nothing comes to mind, if you attach the IceUI code I'll have a second look.

With your widget that does a SendCommands, maybe try setting its layer to some crazy large number and then using widget:Initialize.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Not sure if it's relevant, but some widgets need 'widget' or 'self' as argument to the shut down method instead of just void, You could try that.
qray

Post by qray »

Thanks for the layer tip: this worked for my work-around widget :-)

The code of the IceUI version I can be found here: https://github.com/ecraven/ice-ui. I tried to simply give it a high layer number in gui_iceui.lua but to no effect...
I compared and Red UI also seems to do only a simple Spring.SendCommands("console 0").

I started to dig through the code of IceUI, but so far to no success. Well, maybe I just have to pull up my sleeves and dig harder :wink:
...and if nothings helps live with the work-around
Grimshad

Post by Grimshad »

Did you find a solution or could i possibly have access to your work around?
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Also interested in this. Atm I run some modified version of iceUI on spring 100 and latest BA version. Works fine after I disable/enable red console, tooltip, map, every game. Then it just shows iceUI.
Floris

Post by Floris »

what is so attractive to ICE ui over RED ui?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Works fine after I disable/enable red console, tooltip, map, every game.
Why every game? Can't you just turn off the RedUI widgets permanently in the widget selector?
Floris

Post by Floris »

...one argument for ICE ui over RED ui is fixed in ba 9.03.

It is: UI elements in ba 9.03 wont be draggable with middlemouse anymore. You must be in tweakui mode (ctrl+f11) to be able to do that.

(oh and you can also already disable icon spacing gaps with /iconspace)
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Floris wrote:what is so attractive to ICE ui over RED ui?
Widget list is better imho: see all widgets in one screen instead of long list to scroll through
It shows handy information about your team like metal and energy income per player in a decent menu. Also current m/e bars of allies which also allow for easy sharing (better than redui). Better because you can share less/more depending on where you click on the m/e bar of your ally.
Console looks way better and less annoying (but maybe i see a bugged version of RedUI console cos it look insanely bad).
qray

Post by qray »

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.
Grimshad wrote:Did you find a solution or could i possibly have access to your work around?
Sorry for the muuuuuuuch too late answer. I didn't find a solution, but the workaround still works (when red ui widgets are disabled). Apart from widget selector.
The workaround widget is attached, just place in Luaui /widgets.
Floris wrote:what is so attractive to ICE ui over RED ui?
Basically what klapmongool said, but IMHO sharing works also fine with the current redui.
Apart from that simply: Configurability.
I can easily without going to configuration files set a lot of things to my liking. Most importantly for me the size of order/build menus and chat, so I don't have to scroll through pages, which I personally find extremely annoying when it gets busy ingame, and I can get them small on the side. I have a rather big monitor and want to see more of the map and not large menus :wink:
As an example a screenshot of my current setting below (chat window of ice vanishes when not used).

compared to the standardui

Doesn't mean that the BA standard UI is bad. Many of my friends like it and play with it. It's just personal taste... and I like to configure things to my taste :wink:
Attachments
screen00271.jpg
(457.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screen00260.jpg
standardui
(328.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
gui_disable_standards.lua
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Return to “Help & Bugs”