Mission editor

Mission editor

Hearken back to the days of yore and enjoy the first major Spring module!

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Jools
XTA Developer

Mission editor

Post by Jools »

I tried making a mission, here are some things I observed.

The mission editor crashes after you dump the units to file. Infolog:

Code: Select all

[f=0000602] Error: LuaRules::RunCallIn: error = 2, RecvFromSynced, [string "LuaRules/Gadgets/mission_dumper.lua"]:150: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
I still could complete the dumped file manually. It works almost, but the gaia team seems to be filtered out. Trigger dont work for it and if I try to add it to the spawn list, it's not spawned. I put the gaia team as team 2.
Deadnight Warrior

Re: Mission editor

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

I'll look into it, but in Spring dev build you can't spawn for Gaia via Spring.CreateUnit(...) it fails and you get nil as unitID. Same error is observed in knorke's Critter gadget.

I also deliberately filtered out Gaia units and features as map features are counted as Gaia, so in order to avoid confusion, it's not allowed ofr now.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Deadnight Warrior wrote:I'll look into it, but in Spring dev build you can't spawn for Gaia via Spring.CreateUnit(...) it fails and you get nil as unitID. Same error is observed in knorke's Critter gadget.
Then maybe that should be mantised. But the meteors are gaia units, and so are the aliens that come from them. Does it only not work in Spring dev build then?
Jizmo

Post by Jizmo »

Ive tried it, and couldn't even load anything that was made, let alone make anthing new.

Some help would be nice!

Its been a while since last post, has there been any developments?
Deadnight Warrior

Post by Deadnight Warrior »

Jizmo wrote:Some help would be nice!
I was planing to write a tutorial on how to use the mission editor, but the interest wasn't big enough.

In next posts I'll delve into details, but for now the basics.

In order to use the mission editor, you need to copy it from XTA SVN, the one in game archive is outdated, so don't use it.

You should place the missioneditor.sdd where you usualy keep your Spring games. You might need to edit modinfo.lua and check if the dependancy information matches your XTA version. Start your lobby client (if not already running) and host a new 1v1 game vs NullAI, but instead of XTA, host XTA Mission Editor game (off-line game, using single player lobby options). Make yourself and AI of different sides and keep the colours tied to sides, ARM blue, CORE red. Choose a map by your liking, and setup all other options. Start the game.

Once started, you'll nottice that instead of a commander, you have a mission wizzard unit. That unit can build any unit or structure possible in XTA. So use it to build all the bases and outposts you like (for both sides), place all the units, walls etc. Once you're satisfied how the map looks, select all units that should belong to AI and share them to it. Press the "Dump" command in the mission wizzard's build/order menu.

A note like "SpawnData dumped into Spring/LuaUI/XTA_mission_editor_dump.lua" should appear. Exit the game.
Look for the file and rename it to xta_your_mission_name.lua, and move it to Spring/missions or /My Documents/Spring/missions, or inside the XTA archive in the missions folder.

Take a look in your Spring folder for a script.txt. Thats the start script for the mission, open it in an editor and change the modname to XTA, version 9.729 (or whichever version you have), and among the modoptions add a new entry mission=xta_your_mission_name; . You can also change the AI from NullAI to KAIK/E323AI. Save the startscript as xta_your_mission_name.txt and exit editor.

In order to play the mission, just drag and drop the xta_your_mission_name.txt on the Spring.exe.

Some other docs I wrote about the mission editor: Readme from SVN, Test mission data file (contains all the trigger docs and some samples on how to use them), Test mission startscript, Sniper Alley mission startscript (some sample start scripts).

Return to “XTA”