Balance derail from BA model replacements

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Falcrum

Post by Falcrum »

I don't like new models of aircraft. Too much contrast to the rest of the great models, these significantly deviate from the style of OTA... :roll: Ugly Krow... :( These rotors also do not fit ...Do not make another starcraft
Last edited by Falcrum on 23 Mar 2011, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Re: BA model replacements

Post by AF »

zomg Blizzards going to sue them, they shouldve copied supcom
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

edit: video showing harrier hovering and turning on the spot in midair:
http://noolmusic.com/my_video/harrier_j ... _video.php
Attachments
harrier2.jpg
(53.33 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
harrier.jpg
(47.36 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
vstol-4post.jpg
(16.1 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by momfreeek on 23 Mar 2011, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

like i said in the first post about punisher, i like how it reminds DoW :D
you'll never find a design that pleases everybody
its not about pleasing anyone. its about making krow to work as it should
smoth

Post by smoth »

Wombat wrote:its about making krow to work as it should
this can end up with people trying to shove in their own conceptualization of the unit role and balance.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

well, as far i understand whole point is to remake existing models but to keep old hitboxes, roles and balance. if someone wants to make threads/posts how should HIS BAR looks like, i dont give a F.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Nobody really cares what an energy storage looks like but i predict tons of drama for the units :roll:
So just do what you want.
Also lol@ hitboxes, there is crap like this
also the arm/core solar hitbox difference so if the krows hitbox is 5% bigger/smaller than current its nothing compared to those.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

these are obvious bugs :> for me

all 3 turrets can shoot same unit

2 turrets can shoot same unit

is huge difference
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Lol at the way small details are considered so sacred to BA's reportedly flawless balance.

Of course no one will be forced to play the remodeled BA; if you prefer the original to Bob's interpretation you can still play that.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

lol at raging ca players

im not commenting bobs interpetation itself, but how it affects gameplay.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

no1 is raging...

You just called a balance issue a bug as if BA's "Balance" was hardcoded or something. That is all...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Lol at the way small details are considered so sacred to BA's reportedly flawless balance.
comments from ca players how ba balance or anything else is bad is getting boring :(

i called too big hitbox a bug and it got nothing to do with bobs models. *facepalm*
smoth

Post by smoth »

"player(s)?" lol Waldo is one guy. Otherside only showed up because you said ca and that tickles his nut hairs.

A couple of things, firstly ba's balance having anything to do with well orchestrated unit collision shapes. Oh please ba just uses what is assigned by the engine.

Second I can understand the concern about the krow weapons but it still can perform the same role. Might even perform it better.

Ba's balance is terrible and honestly I don't want to derail the thread
However key to ba's balance is actually the nano economy and wonky build times not really the weapons or retarded damage classes.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

smoth wrote:"player(s)?" lol Waldo is one guy.
welcome to spring, i see u new here
smoth wrote: Second I can understand the concern about the krow weapons but it still can perform the same role. Might even perform it better.
how it can perform better if not all guns will shoot ?

i think TFC made very clear statement about BAR/BA*mods. or bob changed his mind and he wants to make own game (what would be best imo)
smoth

Post by smoth »

As in I do not pla ca.

This attitude is why no one wants to do shit for ba. "He should just go make his own game" It's like the default rebuttal for any suggested change, "go make a new *a. " You would have been with the lot of ragers when caydr decided to up the size of the Krog. *A has seen many changes over the years this is minor compared to some things. Any time someone suggests something be different even slightly you guys act like howlers
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

smoth wrote:
Wombat wrote:its about making krow to work as it should
this can end up with people trying to shove in their own conceptualization of the unit role and balance.
this is why i think he should make own game. as always it will end with 'hey bob, hlt sux, make it better !' (good example is triton whos only post here was 'i can help with balancing). lot of such threads still to come.

anyway

bob is not the one responsible for balance in BA (he got no influence on that + check TFC threads)
knorke

Post by knorke »

how it can perform better if not all guns will shoot ?
the third could shot at other targets. or damage of the guns could just be upped by 1/3
The krow does not even have to have 3 lasers, ie one laser with 3x rate of fire would be the same in most cases.
Most of the time people have bawbawbalance discussions half of them does not even know the stats of the units they talk about ie see this thread or any other really:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25146

Anyway, the model could be easily changed ie tilt the gunpods more downwards.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

BA's balance is constructed by a spectacular confluence of bugs, accidents, forgotten defaults, and unintended behavior. And since nobody actually *understands* all those features, the only way to preserve BA's balance is to never, ever change anything, even ridiculous things like having weapons mounted on three corners that can all shoot in every direction, or absurdly malformed hitboxes, or anything like that.

If you're making a BA replacement mod, preserving the bugs is just as important, if not more important, than preserving the features. Otherwise it isn't BA and all the hardcore players who have heavily invested their skillsets in those existing bugs and exploits will BAWWW. Core can shoot over solars but arm can't? Other games call that a bug. BA pros treat it as a feature. BA defenders call it Balance. And the players raeg when it changes.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

There's no obvious line where something is a bug or a feature in BA. In any game "bugs" ie. unintended behavior can be a lot of fun and a game can have really shitty intended features.
Any designers intent is pretty slim argument, when there's been so many developers and none of them raelly seemed to have a clear direction on how the game should be shaped to play. It's a kind of mess really, but somehow it still works well (even if it could be better on many things).

But in a case of a graphics update it's quite clear to me that changing little gameplay details, can be considered bugs and should be pointed out, even if they are ultimately deemed small enough to not be worth the time it takes to fix it.

And no Krow wouldn't perform better with guns having less freedom to shoot in pretty much any situation, that's ridiculous thing to argue.
Otherside

Re: Balance derail from BA model replacements

Post by Otherside »

People acting like it would be a huge deal.

It might change Krow balance a bit but would hardly break the game.

A big deal would be if a model changed flash/gator balance.

A tier 2 rarely used niche unit having altered firing behavior will have very little/no effect on how BA is played.

Get off your high horse BA isn't Starcraft.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”