im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts - Page 7

im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

User avatar
Hobo Joe
Posts: 1001
Joined: 02 Jan 2008, 21:55

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Hobo Joe »

Yeah, I join them occasionally when there's nothing else and I cba to gather people for a game, but if they didn't exist imo a lot of those players would end up in smaller 2v2-5v5 games and as a result there would a a lot more games happening faster on more hosts and that would foster a bigger and more skilled player base. It's a win-win-win but the only way to make it happen is to somehow forcefully remove 8v8 games, and not just dsd either. If DSD was removed 8v8's would just go to tabula/folsom/rockfinal etc.

All autohosts should be limited to 5v5, and if people want to play bigger games they can host them manually. I honestly do not see a downside to that. Remove the 8v8dsd plague while making it still a possibility so people can't really complain much or ragequit spring forever because of it.



But of course I'm just dreaming because the people in control of these issues would never do something so drastic and so Spring will continue to be stagnated by 8v8BADSD woohoo


And seriously all the people saying "ask people for a game" you know that's not a solution, only works for people who have been around for a while and are familiar with Spring. The average new player is not going to come into the lobby, join/host an empty game and spam multiple channels to get people to join. No, the noob is going to join the game with lots of people in it and get sucked into the endless cycle that is 8v8DSD. You say "oh it's a matter of choice". Well for the few people who host 8v8 autohosts and the annoying few who always start votes for dsd and autolock 16, yes. Most people don't actively choose 8v8 dsd. Only a small minority does. The rest only join because it's what has people in it and they don't want to take the effort to host a smaller game and get shit on by experienced players.
Last edited by Hobo Joe on 01 Dec 2010, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
Wombat
Posts: 3379
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 15:53

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Wombat »

Hobo Joe wrote:I cba to gather people for a game
aaaaand we come back to good, old 'lets baw baw on forums and play dsd'
0 x

User avatar
Hobo Joe
Posts: 1001
Joined: 02 Jan 2008, 21:55

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Hobo Joe »

Wombat wrote:
Hobo Joe wrote:I cba to gather people for a game
aaaaand we come back to good, old 'lets baw baw on forums and play dsd'

edited post, the 'bawwing' on the forums isn't just me being lazy, every single person here knows that 8v8 dsd is a problem and that all the people in it aren't just like "OH YEAH FINALLY 8v8 DSD JUST WHAT I WAS WAITING FOR." The game gets filled cause a small group of people vote for dsd and autolock 16 and then others join simply because it has people, not because it's the game they wanted. I'm willing to bet that's true for 90% of the people on this forum. God knows it's the only reason I join them.
0 x

Google_Frog
Moderator
Posts: 2444
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 09:24

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Google_Frog »

I'm willing to bet that's true for 90% of the people on this forum.
What about the large portion of people on the forums that don't play BA or even play Spring anymore?
0 x

User avatar
Hobo Joe
Posts: 1001
Joined: 02 Jan 2008, 21:55

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Hobo Joe »

Google_Frog wrote:
I'm willing to bet that's true for 90% of the people on this forum.
What about the large portion of people on the forums that don't play BA or even play Spring anymore?
I meant 90% of those who join 8v8dsd on occassion. They don't do it because they want to play 8v8dsd, they do it cause it's what's going on.
0 x

User avatar
bibim
Lobby Developer
Posts: 901
Joined: 06 Dec 2007, 11:12

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by bibim »

Wombat wrote:btw bibim, again, i still vote to remove 'one side' pset. like example i showed u. both 'sides' need to pset, not only one noob who wants to stack with other clan without their knowledge. plox :<
Theorically, it shouldn't matter that much because SPADS should only allow it if it doesn't break balance. The problem is that default SPADS configuration used to be too permissive concerning balance breakages implied by clan preferences. I fixed it, but all autohosts installed before the fix still have the old default value... Try telling autohost admins to change their clanMode preset setting from "tag;pref(10)" to "tag;pref(5)" in spads.conf file, it should improve things a lot.
0 x

klapmongool
Posts: 843
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 13:19

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by klapmongool »

@moderators, feel free to split this into one or two new topics if you feel like it.
Sucky_Lord wrote:Dear god what happened to you man?? the only thing WORSE than 8V8BADSD is bleedin' tech annihilation!
Well, clearly DSD drove me insane. I don't care about the 'BA-community' anymore, im voting with my feet. Besides, and maybe this is caused by my newfound insanity, tech anni does has some good ideas (like morphing units, changes to sea, and more). Since it is a real mod instead of that madness that was baked into one map it is pretty good (since now it is played on a range of different maps).
bibim wrote:
Wombat wrote:btw bibim, again, i still vote to remove 'one side' pset. like example i showed u. both 'sides' need to pset, not only one noob who wants to stack with other clan without their knowledge. plox :<
Theorically, it shouldn't matter that much because SPADS should only allow it if it doesn't break balance. The problem is that default SPADS configuration used to be too permissive concerning balance breakages implied by clan preferences. I fixed it, but all autohosts installed before the fix still have the old default value... Try telling autohost admins to change their clanMode preset setting from "tag;pref(10)" to "tag;pref(5)" in spads.conf file, it should improve things a lot.
Bibim, im pretty sure that wont really work since the balance system is based on playtime and as such ignores skill and smurfs. Maybe you can explain why people should have the right to pset to someone who doesnt want them psetted to them? At the very least provide a way (a command) for people to ignore psets. More could be said on this topic but since i'm sure you agree with me after thinking about this post I wont for now.
0 x

User avatar
bibim
Lobby Developer
Posts: 901
Joined: 06 Dec 2007, 11:12

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by bibim »

klapmongool wrote:Bibim, im pretty sure that wont really work since the balance system is based on playtime and as such ignores skill and smurfs. Maybe you can explain why people should have the right to pset to someone who doesnt want them psetted to them? At the very least provide a way (a command) for people to ignore psets. More could be said on this topic but since i'm sure you agree with me after thinking about this post I wont for now.
A bit off-topic indeed, I answered here.
0 x

User avatar
Teutooni
Posts: 717
Joined: 01 Dec 2007, 17:21

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Teutooni »

klapmongool wrote:It is really simple: just switch mod.
Hobo Joe wrote:limited to 5v5
Both have been suggested years ago. At least trademarks idea was new! :P

Speaking of past years, when did this phenomenon start? I remember the momentary trends of playing 8v8 altored divide and 8v8 greenfields, but they both died in a few weeks. What the hell happened with DSD? It's like a cancer cell that can't destroy itself when it's no longer useful.
0 x

User avatar
forest_devil
Posts: 139
Joined: 14 Aug 2009, 17:36

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by forest_devil »

i dont see the problem with the DSD hosts. by the sounds of it you "pros" are insulting the players because they play the map and because they are noobs.

1) if they are noobs and they were on your team you would be raging just as much even if they arnt playing DSD

2) if they want to sit in the host all the time then you know they wont be fun to play against anyway so why complain when DSD == cage for
"poor" players

and tbh i havnt played DSD in the last week and a half and havnt had any difficulty finding open games with skilled opponents
0 x

User avatar
albator
Posts: 866
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 14:20

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by albator »

forest_devil wrote:i dont see the problem with the DSD hosts. by the sounds of it you "pros" are insulting the players because they play the map and because they are noobs.

1) if they are noobs and they were on your team you would be raging just as much even if they arnt playing DSD

2) if they want to sit in the host all the time then you know they wont be fun to play against anyway so why complain when DSD == cage for
"poor" players

and tbh i havnt played DSD in the last week and a half and havnt had any difficulty finding open games with skilled opponents
Yeah of course it is because thoses so called "PRO" cannot win DSD against a bunch of tecking noob.

becasue they are tecking too instead of spamming t1 to death ccr style ... :D
0 x

User avatar
knorke
Posts: 7971
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 01:02

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by knorke »

1) if they are noobs and they were on your team you would be raging just as much even if they arnt playing DSD
I think many "pros" would mostly rage because the "noobs" might try playing any game with tactics they picked up on 8v8DSD.
0 x

User avatar
crazy dave
Posts: 65
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 21:39

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by crazy dave »

i like DSD but i cant help but think its stopping us noobs from learning vital skills on BA ive been playing for 3 months now and i still haven't a clue how to play water properly :S
0 x

User avatar
Sucky_Lord
Posts: 531
Joined: 22 Aug 2008, 16:29

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Sucky_Lord »

crazy dave wrote:ive been playing for 3 months now and i still haven't a clue how to play water properly :S
Try 6 years ^_^
0 x

User avatar
Gota
Posts: 7151
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:55

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Gota »

Thats cause nobody plays water maps with ba and nobody bothers making good water maps..
0 x

User avatar
Pxtl
Posts: 6112
Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 01:43

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Pxtl »

Gota wrote:Thats cause nobody plays water maps with ba and nobody bothers making good water maps..
Yup. The most popular water map is really two separate water zones that are each completely imba (but in opposite directions).
0 x

User avatar
oksnoop2
Posts: 1207
Joined: 29 Aug 2009, 20:12

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by oksnoop2 »

What makes a good water map anyway?
0 x

User avatar
Sucky_Lord
Posts: 531
Joined: 22 Aug 2008, 16:29

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Sucky_Lord »

oksnoop2 wrote:What makes a good water map anyway?
I've found water helps, dunno what other people's take on this is
0 x

User avatar
Jazcash
Posts: 5302
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 17:39

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Jazcash »

Sucky_Lord wrote:
oksnoop2 wrote:What makes a good water map anyway?
I've found water helps, dunno what other people's take on this is
I agree.
0 x

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 1265
Joined: 17 Sep 2010, 15:49

Re: im soon gonna quit spring because of DSDhosts

Post by Johannes »

oksnoop2 wrote:What makes a good water map anyway?
Depends on game
0 x

Locked

Return to “Ingame Community”

cron