Horizontal takeoff - Page 2

Horizontal takeoff

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Re: Horizontal takeoff

Post by Argh »

Then, instead of adding one line to the fbi, you add 1 or 2 lines to the bos.
Exactly.

I really must apologize though, if it seems like I'm just trying to push you around- you're doing the work, do whatever you think is best. Sorry, I think I argued my points overmuch.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

just did some quick testing on the DSD cliffs. even with the current takeoff behavior the planes act totally retarded if they are too close to the cliffs when they first take off, same goes for attack runs.

the way i'm seeing htol=1 being implimented isnt going to be any more broken than it already is, although it does lower the threshold a bit. but then again, ANY takeoff system is going to have trouble with giant cliffs rearing up in the takeoff zone, so i dont really see how using a lua/cob solution is going to make that work either.

the s44 plane lua is 16KB of code i understand very very little of, but thats for a very specific application (being the s44 airfield) and a reasonably complex application (landing, taxiing, takeoff all in a realistic manner) as i said earlier in the thread, if i was looking for behaviour that was that complex, id be using lua. perhaps a cob get/set could also be added, im certainly not averse to the idea.

and heres something interesting, in OTA you could force your units to abandon their vtol rise, and just move by giving them a second move order while they were on the way up. thats the kind of thing im looking to do.

*edit* and yeah Argh, srsly, no offence taken dude.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

I've messed with the htol patch a bit more and fixed the endless sliding problem. Now the aircraft actually takeoff, even from an absolutely flat surface (actually they do a short vtol style takeoff until they are at their model radius height, so that the ground doesn't interfere with ascend movement, and then switch to FLYING state - looks more or less good imo). They still land in an old VTOL fashion however, not sure what to do with that.
Attachments
htol2.7z
HTOL patch v2
(595 Bytes) Downloaded 15 times
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

just tested it myself, works perfectly! with properly* set up planes it should look good :)

*with the plane control settings so its pitch up speed is a little less severe than the one i tested with
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

what the heck happened to this?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

actually, if there could be lua control of unit's cruisealt that would probably work, since you could adjust speed and altitude based off when it was activating (taking off) plus maybe you could make a gadget to control altitude of aircraft for various mission purposes.

edit: well am i wrong? should i make a new thread about altering cruisealt?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You can just use MoveCtrl to do the takeoff stuff. That's how THIS makes units launch out of the carriers.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

cruiseAlt is a per-unitdef value afaik, not possible to change for individual units (but I tried that more than a year ago, maybe it changed since).

MoveCtrl ofc can do any kind of takeoff patterns, it's just it takes quite a bit of lua to make it work right. Engine-side feature would have been much simpler imo (at least it was in my test).
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

yuritch wrote:cruiseAlt is a per-unitdef value afaik, not possible to change for individual units (but I tried that more than a year ago, maybe it changed since).
indeed: http://springrts.com/wiki/Lua_MoveCtrl# ... e-specific
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

i'll take a look and see if this will work alright.

although its kind of a hassle for other game/mod devs, since not all games/mods plan on using VTOL aircraft.

Will this allow for aircraft to move forward before they reach altitude?

thanks for the heads up tho.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

isn't the real problem how the altitude is handled in the engine? Instead of altitude being relative to a fixed plane it is relative to sea level and land above sea level.

Return to “Feature Requests”