FPS mode help for a Spring lover? - Page 2

FPS mode help for a Spring lover?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: FPS mode help for a Spring lover?

Post by SwiftSpear »

The engine is a mess for real FPS. Lack of hitboxes, simul sim networking, and an inability for ground units to strafe or move in reverse all make the engine the least ideal possible thing for developing an FPS game.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

For me, I don't want my players to play an FPS. If they want to play an FPS, they should go pick up an FPS. I wouldn't even want to have a hybrid FPS/RTS. I doubt that can even work on all but a MMO scale.

I just want the gimmick FPS mode that currently exists to work properly. That means, I don't want my aircraft to bounce around. Some small things like turning off auto-aiming, a reverse function, and the ability to select weapons would be nice. I can't see the need for a strafe function, given that many units are not bipedal things that can strafe anyway.

A 3rd person function would be reasonably easy to implement on the existing FPS framework and would really make a fantastic drawcard feature - if only for making sweet promo videos.

I doubt most people are expecting to play the battlefield series in Spring - but I do think many people want a working FPS mode, and I think many people would like a 3rd person function. I also think it wouldn't take all that long to sort out either, given the existing FPS framework. However, I am not a programmer.
Smiff

Post by Smiff »

what Warlord Zsinj said ^
could you just make the fps mode look a bit less glitchy please. although it's probably easier said than done..
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Imho, best FPS/RTS hybrid is not Savage or Natsel or that open-source one whose name I can't remember, but BattleZone. BattleZone was done before the online-team-games, so it's designed with you being the only human-player on your team in mind. It worked quite well - as the human pilot, you were the only one who could use the exotic secondary weapons on your tank (AIs just used the primary).

Personally, I think the best would be a hybrid-3rd-person approach

1) Camera is free-facing, but turret follows the camera, like the tanks in UT2003.

2) Arrow keys move (same as normal).

3) Add a keybind to toggle between "command", "freefire" and "autotarget fire", where "command" means including the typical orders-gui and letting the mouse move about the screen (rotate on screen edge), "freefire" means direct weapon control, and "autotarget fire" picks up the nearest enemy to your cursor and fires the weapons at that.

And yes, an FPS-only reverse command would be nice.

Then, with a little lua to handle forcing the player into FPS mode and managing switching units, you could make a decent FPS/RTS game.

Of course, I've always felt we needed another movement class for FPS-style movement (rotation is global instead of relative, and units can move in any direction - like a gunship with legs) but that's a whole different rant.
LardLad3545

Post by LardLad3545 »

I pretty much agree with all of those ideas. I wasn't really wanting a full FPS/RTS hybrid anyways, just a more refined and polished gimmick.
zwARREN69

Post by zwARREN69 »

I think FPS should stay a toy/gimmick, though it should get a little touch up. A 3rd person camera would be the best way to go, honestly. If 3rd person got implemented, I would still want the FPS to stay for nostalgia.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Over the should view please.

Btw, comshooter .74 dudes? The fps mode for the plane is amazing, if the same kind of thing could be done for sws spaceships, then the userbase would equal ~200 million.

Up pushes nose down, down pulls nose up, and left and right roll. WIth practice, you can do really awesome stunts, and have some awesome dogfights. How did the comshooter mod do this anyways?

Btw I love comshooter lol. Its the best fps ever.... well that I can afford... Well, im just good at the plane, sometimes.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

kiki wrote:Over the should view please.

Btw, comshooter .74 dudes? The fps mode for the plane is amazing, if the same kind of thing could be done for sws spaceships, then the userbase would equal ~200 million.

Up pushes nose down, down pulls nose up, and left and right roll. WIth practice, you can do really awesome stunts, and have some awesome dogfights. How did the comshooter mod do this anyways?

Btw I love comshooter lol. Its the best fps ever.... well that I can afford... Well, im just good at the plane, sometimes.
It's spring's standard FPS plane flight behavior. Com shooter didn't do anything special.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

It's pretty non-standard, as far as I can tell.

Standard spring FPS behaviour removes all aerodynamics and replaces the aircraft with the motion of a tennis ball. :P
Krathi

Post by Krathi »

Good with it, sometimes?

You ALWAYS kill me with it -_-
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

This should be in feature requests, but I would like a First Person Perspective mode (FPP) where I just see through the unit and don't control it. I wanted to see through the eyes of my bomber as he flies across the map and attacks the enemy base, but once I entered the cockpit, it no longer does what it was commanded to do beforehand.
kiki

Post by kiki »

Krathi wrote:

Good with it, sometimes?

You ALWAYS kill me with it -_-

Pwnt, krathi, you lose.

Actually some of the dudes like the nuker, who shoots missiles, and arm and core can actually kill me (the plane) pretty easily. But yes, krathi speeks truths, I do pwn people with the plane.

You all say thats standard behavior? I have only experienced it with comshooter. In other mods, the plane either does not work at all in fps, or the controls are all borked.
zwARREN69

Post by zwARREN69 »

CarRepairer wrote:This should be in feature requests, but I would like a First Person Perspective mode (FPP) where I just see through the unit and don't control it. I wanted to see through the eyes of my bomber as he flies across the map and attacks the enemy base, but once I entered the cockpit, it no longer does what it was commanded to do beforehand.

Same here, I just wanted to watch from the unit.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

zwARREN69 wrote:
CarRepairer wrote:This should be in feature requests, but I would like a First Person Perspective mode (FPP) where I just see through the unit and don't control it. I wanted to see through the eyes of my bomber as he flies across the map and attacks the enemy base, but once I entered the cockpit, it no longer does what it was commanded to do beforehand.

Same here, I just wanted to watch from the unit.
That probably should be a different feature altogether. Like using "follow" with the free-camera mode or something. Not part of the FPS mode.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Agreed, should be reasonably easy to implement, but seperate from the general thrust of what people want here.
kiki

Post by kiki »

well, free camera mode + camera tracking is really cool, especially for movie making and cool rotating view stuff. Also, fps + camera tracking is good for looking like you are walking (or flying) behind the unit, and looking from behind it.
zwARREN69

Post by zwARREN69 »

I think this whole topic should me moved to feature request.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

My FPS Suggestions.

Completely remaps keyboard for fps mode, which could all be modified in our beloved settings.exe

Add options to disable friendly fire anti-lock, and enemy autolock. Even if it makes it harder to hit things in fps mode, it will make the player feel like they have more control.

Custom crosshair bitmaps in the same place where the cursor bitmaps chill.

For ground units: The arrows control which way your unit turns, and then moves. So, say you hold down the front arrow, you're moving foward, you then hold down the backarrow, the legs or tracks of the unit turn all the way around and start walking forward in that direction. You hold down the right arrow and the unit's legs or tracks turn toward the left and start walking "straight".
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Neuralize wrote:My FPS Suggestions.

Completely remaps keyboard for fps mode, which could all be modified in our beloved settings.exe

Add options to disable friendly fire anti-lock, and enemy autolock. Even if it makes it harder to hit things in fps mode, it will make the player feel like they have more control.

Custom crosshair bitmaps in the same place where the cursor bitmaps chill.

For ground units: The arrows control which way your unit turns, and then moves. So, say you hold down the front arrow, you're moving foward, you then hold down the backarrow, the legs or tracks of the unit turn all the way around and start walking forward in that direction. You hold down the right arrow and the unit's legs or tracks turn toward the left and start walking "straight".
The limits are there to prevent exploits, but I agree.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

It should all be mod definable. Make anything you could possibly want possible than leave it up to the mods to define limits where they are appropriate.

Return to “General Discussion”