Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderators: Content Developer, Content Developer

Post Reply
klapmongool
Posts: 843
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 13:19

Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by klapmongool »

Often when a con or a comm is doing something and is given the stop command it will move away to a position nearby. I find this incredibly annoying as it costs time.

What causes this behaviour? Can it, please, be removed?
0 x

User avatar
Jazcash
Posts: 5302
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 17:39

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by Jazcash »

I agree. There's lots of weird movement issues like this where units don't do what they should do or they do what they shouldn't do.
0 x

User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4937
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by Beherith »

Since this is an engine issue, please formulate a bug report on mantis.
0 x

klapmongool
Posts: 843
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 13:19

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by klapmongool »

Beherith wrote:Since this is an engine issue, please formulate a bug report on mantis.
Could elaborate on why it is an engine issue? That would make reporting easier I guess. Also, do you need to log in for mantis? If so, maybe someone with an account can do that?
0 x

User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4937
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by Beherith »

Its an engine issue because as far as I know, BA doesn't issue any extra commands after a stop is given. Please register a free account on mantis ("report a bug" in top menu) an describe the exact nature of the bug and how to reproduce it. Thanks!
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by smoth »

Units have a brake RATE. so they have to decelerate when they stop. This is probably what causes the sliding you are seeing.
0 x

User avatar
Johannes
Posts: 1265
Joined: 17 Sep 2010, 15:49

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by Johannes »

smoth wrote:Units have a brake RATE. so they have to decelerate when they stop. This is probably what causes the sliding you are seeing.
No, they mean the times when you can actually see the move order the engine issues after a move destination is reached or stop order given.
Which is not your usual move order though, since they stop halfway to the destination usually.
It can also happen after assisting a building, while the unit was previously stationary it now takes a step back - so not about braking.

I can't give example replay from this machine, but it usually happens when the engine considers the unit to be too near a building and forces the unit to step away. Most obvious way to replicate is to give a move-order to inside of a lab.

Similar thing used to happen when units clumped too close to each other too, but not with current pathing, they'll just clump and stack inside each other now.
0 x

zerver
Spring Developer
Posts: 1358
Joined: 16 Dec 2006, 20:59

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by zerver »

I 100% agree that the automatic unit repelling of labs is very annoying. But I know it was introduced for a reason and the question is how it is best improved.
0 x

klapmongool
Posts: 843
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 13:19

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by klapmongool »

zerver wrote:I 100% agree that the automatic unit repelling of labs is very annoying. But I know it was introduced for a reason and the question is how it is best improved.
I'm not sure if you are talking about the same thing. Johannes described it better than me.
Johannes wrote:
No, they mean the times when you can actually see the move order the engine issues after a move destination is reached or stop order given.
Which is not your usual move order though, since they stop halfway to the destination usually.
It can also happen after assisting a building, while the unit was previously stationary it now takes a step back - so not about braking.

I can't give example replay from this machine, but it usually happens when the engine considers the unit to be too near a building and forces the unit to step away.
It is not the bumping that is also seen in other situations. The unit will most of the time be in a location it can normally be. I included a short replay showing the command a few times.
Attachments
20120421_085506_Comet Catcher Redux_88.sdf
(24.86 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
0 x

User avatar
smoth
Posts: 22300
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:46

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by smoth »

cool, post the replay on a mantis report!
0 x


User avatar
Beherith
Moderator
Posts: 4937
Joined: 26 Oct 2007, 16:21

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by Beherith »

Thanks klap!
0 x

klapmongool
Posts: 843
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 13:19

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by klapmongool »

Sooo. On Mantis it says it is solved in 88.0.1 git but i can't see what actually changed. Can someone with more knowledge explain what will be different exactly in a new release?
0 x

SirMaverick
Posts: 834
Joined: 19 May 2009, 21:10

Re: Constructors / commanders move after stop: bug or feature?

Post by SirMaverick »

klapmongool wrote:Sooo. On Mantis it says it is solved in 88.0.1 git but i can't see what actually changed. Can someone with more knowledge explain what will be different exactly in a new release?
88.0.1+git stands for current development version, not a new release.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”