Ideas for 12345swordy to do for this summer.

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

AKA me.
Here some ideas that lurking around my head and I want feedback from the engine developers ONLY to see if these are good side projects or not.

-Wrap AI interface to C# and D languages.
-Wrap game code to C# and D languages.
-Implement the latest boost compute with the spring matrix system to experiment any speed benefits.
-Implement vulkan code for common basic graphics options to experiment any speed benefits.
-Implement the new generic base economy for game devs by modify the existing map format to allow custom design map specification for certain game economies.
-add more features to fps mode(need suggestions for this though)
-Add sound to built in AVI format (does anyone still use that though?)
-Some basic feature that engine developers may point out to me.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Ideas for 12345swordy to do for this summer.

Post by FLOZi »

Split off the trolling posts.

Any further posts from people who are not engine devs, or at the very least long-term content developers with a reasonable knowledge of engine (aka gajop, me, smoth) will result in warnings.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Super Mario wrote: -Wrap AI interface to C# and D languages.
sounds reasonable, didn't someone else recently talk about this in #sy? (afaik it was msm8bball)
Super Mario wrote: -Wrap game code to C# and D languages.
what does that mean? allow C# to be used as widgets/gadgets?

Super Mario wrote: -Implement the latest boost compute with the spring matrix system to experiment any speed benefits.
current code doesn't use much mt-code, so not sure if there are a lot of speed gains.
Super Mario wrote: -Implement vulkan code for common basic graphics options to experiment any speed benefits.
sounds useful, but could be difficult because of lua code beeing allowed to use opengl code.
Super Mario wrote: -Implement the new generic base economy for game devs by modify the existing map format to allow custom design map specification for certain game economies.
not sure what you execactly mean, but sounds most interesting of your proposals.

Super Mario wrote: -add more features to fps mode(need suggestions for this though)
Do you have anything specific mind? Afaik there was very few interest about FPS mode related stuff.

Super Mario wrote: -Add sound to built in AVI format (does anyone still use that though?)
make it work cross-platform by using ffmpeg would be more useful imo. as alternative this feature could be IMHO completely removed as there exists better external recording tools. Is there a reason to keep this feature? Afaik its broken for a long time / very rarely used.

Super Mario wrote: -Some basic feature that engine developers may point out to me.
Maybe look at https://springrts.com/wiki/Project_proposals ?!
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

FWIW I use the internal video recorder.

WRT economies, you mean expanding generic resources? https://springrts.com/wiki/User:Flozi/E ... dResources
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

abma wrote:
sounds reasonable, didn't someone else recently talk about this in #sy? (afaik it was msm8bball)
most sources online suggest that I used c++/CLI for creating bindings for c#. Don't know that mono also provide this feature.
abma wrote: -Wrap game code to C# and D languages.

what does that mean? allow C# to be used as widgets/gadgets?
Pretty much yea. It's a language that appears in other game engines for game code.
abma wrote: current code doesn't use much mt-code, so not sure if there are a lot of speed gains.
Not even the matrix code? That a common usage of MT.
abma wrote: sounds useful, but could be difficult because of lua code beeing allowed to use opengl code.
I see. Would the smarter route is to create lua bindings for Vulcan and provide it to the game dev? Though that itself is very hard. I think I rather wait for someone else to create an abstraction layer for lua developers than to tackle this issue by myself.
amba wrote: not sure what you execactly mean, but sounds most interesting of your proposals.
rather storing specific information such as metal in a map, let the game devs specify what type of economy information should be store in maps.
I'm referring to this specifically
abma wrote:
Do you have anything specific mind? Afaik there was very few interest about FPS mode related stuff.
fps gui.
Weapon swaping.
Weapon loading and unloading.
The basic things.
I think it would be fun to have a basic rts/fps mode.
abma wrote:

make it work cross-platform by using ffmpeg would be more useful imo. as alternative this feature could be IMHO completely removed as there exists better external recording tools. Is there a reason to keep this feature? Afaik its broken for a long time / very rarely used.
I think you should create a survey.

Return to “Engine”