Dawn of War Soulstorm Remake in Spring - opinions

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

I was wondering how problematic it would be to remake the Dawn of War Soulstorm game, and its awesome mechanics, in Spring.

Besides copyright issues, even if THQ was shut down :(

at least the LUA script language could be used, I think. then there would be the issue of all the awesome mods that exist. then the unique mechanics (souls, faith etc).

Or perhaps the Spring executable could be used to run the game, like GemRB for the Infinity Engine games?
Silentwings

Re: Dawn of War Soulstorm Remake in Spring - opinions

Post by Silentwings »

I don't know the game well but yes, I would guess that this is broadly speaking possible.
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

the main problem with that game is two-fold:

steam ruined it
AND
the engine is old. VERY old. makes it almost unplayable.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Iirc, while things might not be 1:1 exact, you could get them very, very close.
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

that is good. that game was awesome.
what about mod support?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Please elaborate on what you mean by mod support.
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

allow the great mods for that game to be used in the spring version
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Dark_Ansem wrote:that is good. that game was awesome.
what about mod support?
Dark_Ansem wrote:allow the great mods for that game to be used in the spring version
An RTS game is made up of many... let's say "fiddly bits"... if you port all the Dawn of War Soulstorm fiddly bits to Spring there is nothing stopping people from porting other DoWS Mod fiddly bits to Spring and packaging them up as a Spring Game, Mod, Special Rules Map, Mutator etc... but there is very little chance that you would be able to make it possible to simply use an existing unmodified DoWS Mod with your Spring DoWS Port.

Also... just a heads-up here... Games Workshop have been over-protective of their IP since before it was cool... You can do what you want but there are people around here who might be unwilling to help you for fear of being implicated in your doom.
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

you're not a prophet, so...

besides, GW might be, but Relic and THQ have fallen, and no license has been renewed. even DOW3 has been "put on hold" indefinitely...
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Let's ignore the copyrights and get technical.

1) No, it won't easily run mods even if you succeed in reimplementing DoW in Spring. The engines are simply that much different. You might try to walk an extra mile or twenty and create some kind of conversion utility, but i don't think it would work well even then. At best, it will save you some manual reimplementation work.

2) There are some limitations to Spring that might make things hard:
- Currently the animation system does not allow for non-linear interpolation of movements.
- There's currently no way to get mesh deforms, so all those organic units - say, Chaos daemons, kroots, tyranids and such - are SOL.

-----

IF we're not ignoring copyrights, i think you should talk to Azaremoth. The guy is responsible for Cursed, which is "kinda" dawn-of-war thing, but with factions subtly renamed, etc.

Good old Count Orlok stuff works even in twenty-first century.
Last edited by Anarchid on 24 Feb 2014, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Dark_Ansem wrote:allow the great mods for that game to be used in the spring version
No.

No way you could take a DoW mod, dump it in Spring, and have it work.

However, you could rip the assets of the mod, port them to Spring yourself, and it would save time compared to redoing everything from scratch.

But there's right issues (some modders are very protective of their work too).
smoth

Post by smoth »

Odds are you would never complete it
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

smoth wrote:Odds are you would never complete it
true. especially considering I have no idea where to start. still worth a try tho, being based on the same scripting language LUA, unless I am gravely mistaken.
smoth

Post by smoth »

It would be better to invest your time in trying to get what is left of the company to put out the source. That way in the future there is potential for a "source port" if you are unfamiliar with this, then you need to search for this. It is when someone takes an older engine and updates to run on modern hardware/os/rendering methods. Several quake games have them as does descent.
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

problem is, the company was dissolved and Relic has been acquired by Sega. Which is NOT famous for customer feedback, not even for the PSO series.

Chances of that are almost non-existant.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Dark_Ansem wrote:
true. especially considering I have no idea where to start. still worth a try tho, being based on the same scripting language LUA, unless I am gravely mistaken.
Is irrelevant - it is the API that matters, not the language syntax.

e.g. Windows and Linux are both written in C/++ doesn't mean you can (natively) run linux software on windows.

Also, DoW engine is arguably more modern than Spring (2004 for original, 2008 for Soulstorm vs 2004/5ish for Spring), although Spring is constantly updated.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

my 2 cents about trying to "clone" copyrighted material into a Spring engine game : don't do it, even as a hobby project.

not worth the time. It may seem doable at first, but then you'll keep finding that the manual conversion of whatever is available (even if you try to automate parts of it) takes longer than you thought, that people don't care, that the latest engine upgrade broke something in your game. Sometimes you'll get a lot done in a weekend, but then other life stuff shows up,etc....Weeks turn to months, then years.

if you can develop custom units, art, code, etc. then you can try to make a similarly themed game without infringing copyright. After it becomes good enough, then you have way more options to draw players into it without that dark copyright cloud hanging over your head.

copyright infringement closes too many doors.
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

FLOZi wrote:
Dark_Ansem wrote:
Is irrelevant - it is the API that matters, not the language syntax.

e.g. Windows and Linux are both written in C/++ doesn't mean you can (natively) run linux software on windows.

Also, DoW engine is arguably more modern than Spring (2004 for original, 2008 for Soulstorm vs 2004/5ish for Spring), although Spring is constantly updated.
DOW engine is older, around 2002, as it is a Heavily modified version of the Impossible Creatures engine.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

And it is a commercially produced engine with art done by professionals. Spring in '05 was way behind DoW in '05. I know. I was there.
Dark_Ansem

Post by Dark_Ansem »

I still think it's an impressive open source engine :)

Return to “Game Development”