Units for TA-springs - Page 3

Units for TA-springs

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Ading two things will make that possible:
1)a bit of code to add a new command to the script engine that will return the slope where the unit stand via the already existing function.
2)a bit of code in every KBot's script to use that command and turn the kbots feet according to the slope.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Dude... talk about speedy service :)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:Ading two things will make that possible:
1)a bit of code to add a new command to the script engine that will return the slope where the unit stand via the already existing function.
2)a bit of code in every KBot's script to use that command and turn the kbots feet according to the slope.
You know, that could be done in plain old TA. I mean, that has already been done, by me, in plain old TA:
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetannihi ... id=1551437
http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthr ... adid=29423
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Well, yes, it's been done in TA, but it doesn't work in Spring.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

heres exactly whut i meant

the red lines mark the place where it takes the slope.
so the angle of the at-at style thing turn according to da slope.
and the same way as zwzsg made the at-at's body lean.

the picture was drawn in 1 micro second thats why it looks so nice :wink:
i didn't even draw da fourth leg :-)

and zwzsg u are god !
Last edited by Masse on 26 May 2005, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

So it's not "1) a bit of code to add a new command", but "1) a bit code to retain an old TA command"
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

In TA, you could get the slope value by taking two height values at two different points and calculating the difference. In Spring, there already is a procedure to get the slope at a certain point, so a command is needed to get that value.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Someone who has downloaded this, could you please upload it to a happy location. Or just contact me on AIM at Neuralize, or MSN at Neuralize@hotmail.com
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Must say the commander is a tad too big.
Snooky

Post by Snooky »

:shock: :o :-)

Sinclaire has captured what we all dreamed of at one time or another - that TA would someday look like the intro movie in realtime.

Great job, and keep the detail high! I have a 6800 GT (one step below top-tier) and it runs Spring fully loaded at 1920x1200 with no problems. I can run 1280x768 with easily over 1000 units. Yes, the card is $400 new, but as others indicated a 6800 will become a mid-ranged card by this time next year. Spring will continue to grow - I'd say go for the best models possible today so we don't ask someone to make better ones later.

Great job Sinclaire!!!!!

-S
TARevenger

Post by TARevenger »

omg it's like the OTA intro movie coming to life.

It'll be cool if someone recreates the TA intro movie using these models in spring, then use the recreated movie for the spring intro movie
disciplus

Post by disciplus »

Yes I work on this intro, but with my own models. I only use the Sinclaire models for shots with a lot of Peewees like this...
Xvid format.
http://axvaude.free.fr/temp/210_peewees.avi

the codec is here...
http://axvaude.free.fr/download/XviD_Install.exe

It's just a text with 210 peewees.

An other test, the first contact beetween the Core comander, and a poor peewee... :twisted:
http://axvaude.free.fr/gfx/animations/1fstcontact.mov
Delta

Post by Delta »

hehe, nice. but the D-gun would sound better.
monohouse

Post by monohouse »

YHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEEEEEEE

these units are THE sheet !
Snooky

Post by Snooky »

Disciplus,

The videos are superb! Interesting commander model too.

Any news from you or Sinclaire on progress with this project? Looking forward to a high poly Core Commander and Krogoth. :-)

-Snooky
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

just bringing this back up there... so ppl can see the NICE models... :-)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

10053r wrote:aTTacK wrote:
Graphics cards are currently increasing in performance 10 times every 2 years. Conversely, that means that in 2 years, a $500 graphics card will cost $50, or even less used on Ebay. We don't need to worry about the number of polys much. This is not to say we can use 10K poly peewees, but we can probably get away with 4x to 10x the number of polys in OTA, which was software rendered, and thus totally dependant on CPU.
Your cost estimates are accurate, but in terms of sheer preformance you're way off. Radeon 9800pros only run about 1.5 times faster in terms of what they can display then even Gforce4's. Gforce4's run better then the entire FX line. The biggest preformance differance is what the cards can display in terms of shaders, and you can't just give shader display a quantitative value like "all cards with shader 2.x are 5 times faster then cards without", because really the shader technology barely adds anything preformance wize... just discluding the nessicary shaders allows most old cards to display any game just slightly less beautifully then the new cards do. 100000 onscreen polies will SERIOUSLY hurt preformance, and spring doesn't just calculate onscreen polies, it renders the entire map continuously. 200 or so high poly units on either team with the current system will start pushing you into SLI configs if you want to see them without FPS drops, not to mention most of our combat FX absolutly DEVOUR FPS. High poly rocket launchers are the definition of 1FPS.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Its not actually true that the game renders the whole map. There is a bug that you can find with very steep walls that shows that the map is NOT comptinuously drawn. It only draws the part of the map that is curretly in veiw. As for units, I dont know, as I have no easy way of testing, but I dont think it renders off screen FX, as when I turn the camera away from a commander explosion + smoke, my computer stops lagging up. The rest of your points are good though. How bout we do what wa suggested in another hread a month or two ago? Make High-poly units for close-ups, normal-polly (current models) for distance, and the if we want even make them turn into Icons in the very far distance. That would solve most performance issues

Return to “General Discussion”