Random WIP 2014+ - Page 2

Random WIP 2014+

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Random WIP 2014+

Post by Forboding Angel »

I think you guys are forgetting that only about 65% of evo is legos, so there are still a ton of other textures being loaded still.

Hopefully, at some point it will all be legos, which should make performance be pretty awesome.
smoth

Post by smoth »

forb, there is NO way that can be the reason. Think about all the models in GRTS. Several of them have 1024s etc. PLEASE keep the 1024 or whatever for the future?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Smoth, you know what evo uses, so i don't know what to tell you.

Resizing tex1 to 512, tex2 to 128, and normal to 1024 down from 2048 for all 3 caused a 100% fps gain.

Sure, I'd love to have tex1 at 2048, hell, who wouldn't??? But if in larger games I'm going to drop to 25 or so fps when I could have 50 or 60, I would much rather have 50 or 60.

This was all done at JK's suggestion, and as you know, smoth, evo uses png as per your method taught to me years ago.

P.S. after dropping tex2 and tex3 down, I tried putting tex 1 at 2048, 1024, and 512 respectively, and the performance when lots of things were onscreen between the 3 of them was notable, so I went with the best performance.

If You know something I don't, now would be an excellent time to share it.

I suppose I can take screenies. Maybe something has changed in 91 -> 96 wrt this stuff. I honestly don't know. I can only go by what my eyes and spring tools tell me.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Do you want some dds files to test against? I have moved over to using DDS.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

As I mentioned in hangouts, I'll get cozy with a hex editor and switch over to dds entirely for lego textures.

Edit: All of evo lego units have been ddsified, and main tex is back up to 2048.

With that, I present to you the new Amphib Engineer:

Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

On an offtopic, so that's how Evo nanothingies are supposed to look :|
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Nice Zyklon B sprayer... 10/10 would use on "summer" camps
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

On a fun note, the penis shaft spins, vibrator style :-)
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

@forb

01 Aug 2013, from here
Forboding Angel wrote:What I need is over modelers to help me.
Forboding Angel wrote:The idea is that everybody wins with this arrangement.
FireStorm_ wrote:Can I warp geometry?
Forboding Angel wrote:...you can also adjust the UV to make it do whatever you like.
smoth wrote:I really really hate when people stretch textures like that.
FireStorm_ wrote:A lot of the parts I used weren't even scaled.
FireStorm_ wrote:sloped parts on the top of the main body have not been manipulated in any way. One should be able to find them in the lego file as-is, so to speak.
Forboding Angel wrote:Wow, I like your concepts here :-D

I guess that gives me motivation to finish the amphib factory.
20 Oct 2013, from PM
FireStorm_ wrote:Hi Forb, :-)

I did it:
*Download Amphibians here*

I re-modeled them (and re-modeled them some more :-) )until I had something I liked enough. I feel a bit like using Evo-lego is like making a painting; I never feel the thing is finished, and I keep seeing areas that could use work. :-)

That means you can change whatever you want/need, or just ask me and throw them back my way for any quick fixes you think might be needed.

I hope you make 'em shine and use that to Evo's advantage, perhaps to attract other modellers.
22 Oct 2013, from PM
Forboding Angel wrote:Awesome work! Thanks a ton :-D I should have them ingame semi-soonish :-D
I'm not going to ask you to clarify your dissensions. Instead I would like to ask: What did you decide about Zealots models, if I may ask? You must have had no problems putting those in, correct?
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Forboding Angel wrote:Resizing tex1 to 512, tex2 to 128, and normal to 1024 down from 2048 for all 3 caused a 100% fps gain.
Then you are vram constraint. And you got _many_ of such textures. The name atlas instead gave me the idea that it is used a lot of times and you only got a few textures.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I'd prefer not to cause a big scene. I was trying to be respectful in explaining that while I couldn't use them, I liked your designs so much that I was going to try to replicate them.

The small piece is the original lego piece.

Apparently we had a rather significant miscommunication, and I apologize for that. By changing the uv to do whatever you needed, I didn't mean scaling up or down by large amounts, I was more taking about face scaling and stuff like that to reshape a part and things like that. Scaling to that degree also creates issues with texture inconsistency with the other lego units. Scaling with lego is ok, but it's possible to get a bit too much.

Zealot actually never gave me the files for the models he created until about 5 hours ago. Apparently he saw this thread and remembered. I haven't looked at them in wings yet.

This is what that model looks like ingame with a 2048x2048 tex1, 256x256 tex2 and 1024x1024 Normalmap (DDS, using smoth's settings).

And this is what the model of that same unit that I made the other day looks like ingame with a 2048x2048 tex1, 256x256 tex2 and 1024x1024 Normalmap (DDS, using smoth's settings).

This is not me saying that my model is better... That would be ridiculous! I am simply showing the difference that the stretching makes. << Please do not take this the wrong way! :oops:

Attached the last image because imgur is shitting the bed.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. It was not my intention to offend you (quite the opposite actually).
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

There is no misunderstanding as far as I realise.
Except maybe that you do not understand (or perhaps better: fully realise) how what you did or decided may affect me... Just imagine our roles where reversed for a moment, if you would.

I understand you had a problem with how they looked.
I don't like the way you decided to handle/solve that.

Lastly, a rhetorical question: How would you describe what this 'exchange' teaches me about helping? And how may that affect that 'ability' to help?

I wouldn't want to obligate you. I gave 'em to you, and I said you may use them as you see fit. You are free to make these decisions of course; I just think I would have made different ones.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

In order to 'fix' them, they would have to be redone from scratch.

I was attempting to side step that fact gracefully while not saying "ur doin it rong", but at the same time praising your work and effort in a manner that expressed my gratitude.

All the while, creating the units myself while acknowledging that they are heavily based upon your designs so that you didn't see these popping up and wonder why the hell.

I do not understand why you are offended.

Here is a rhetorical question for you... If you were me, and someone obviously spent a lot of time making things for you just because he was being a nice guy, but it turns out that you cannot use any of the things he created.

Would you do as I have done and acknowledge the issue while attempting to not draw attention to it and do the work yourself, or would you turn to that person and say "Hey, I can't use any of this. Would you redo it all?"

Unfortunately, instead of allowing me to gracefully sidestep the issue while creating a solution , you've shined a spotlight on it and now we both look silly.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I am honestly not seeing stretching being really bad anywhere on the first pic.
Also, Forb, if you have an nvidia card, you should check your ingame vram usaged with gpu-z.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

@forb
That none of them qualifies (or can be made/fixed to) seems quickly decided to me. I just hope you'll find some time to think about it, and perhaps reconsider.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ya'll should move this to pm
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

FireStorm_ wrote:@forb
That none of them qualifies (or can be made/fixed to) seems quickly decided to me. I just hope you'll find some time to think about it, and perhaps reconsider.
I spent many many hours on this. I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that it was hastily decided. You act like I'm happy about it, which I assure you that I was very disappointed.

The fact of the matter is that the chassis on all of the units have massively scaled parts. The scaling is so much that visually, ingame, the normalmap doesn't even apply. Moreover, as I explained before, the scaling of the parts to that degree throws them completely out of whack with the rest of the lego units.

I said repeatedly, it's not your fault, you couldn't have known, and my own inexperience with legos did not aid me in catching it. I didn't know either. By the time I found out, I was many hours deep in it.

I tend to go by the modeling rules that smoth tells me, and kaiser's advice in dealing with legos. Mainly that mirror is good if you don't go too overboard (at which point weld and cleanup are your friends), and scaling is ok to a certain point, but at some point you end up having model parts that are super blurry, and others that are super detailed because of the scaling.

I'm sorry that this happened, but I'm still lost as to why you are offended. "Fixing" these models means completely rebuilding them, essentially. I wasn't about to come back and ask you to do that. First, because it would be extremely embarrassing for me and because it would be like taking advantage of your generosity. If someone gives you a basket of green apples, you don't turn around and give them back and in the same breath ask for red apples instead. Not a good analogy, but it'll work I guess.

Edit: Here they are side by side in wings. Hopefully this helps.

http://i.imgur.com/tDY0mcv.png
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Beherith wrote:I am honestly not seeing stretching being really bad anywhere on the first pic.
Also, Forb, if you have an nvidia card, you should check your ingame vram usaged with gpu-z.
I have a 2gb 660GT, Will do at some point when I have the time.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

I never said I was offended.
Perhaps it was your conclusion after imagining how I'd feel?

So, not offended, but very much not liking the way you decided to resolve your problem. Your arguments puzzle me. To me the gift of apples analogy does not seem apply. Still hope you'll reconsider. Up to you.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

More S44 boats:

Return to “Art & Modelling”