MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA! - Page 2

MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Re: MINECRAFT IS NOW BETA!

Post by TradeMark »

smoth wrote:Ever drink because you like to?
Yes.
smoth wrote:or do you need people around so you can feel the activity has purpose.
No.
smoth wrote:if you are the later do not play minecraft, go play wow.
I am confused, i should play minecraft? But i agree everything Gota said... i think your theory is flawed.
smoth wrote:Minecraft's appeal is that you show up in a place with NO goal and NO direction. It is entirely your own to choose. Some like to wander the landscape looking for cool areas. Others like to mine and collect the rare diamonds. ME? I like to build a small home stocked with food and weapons then hunt creepers at night.
Hmm. i played this game called Clonk Planet (and many other games when i was younger), just to explore etc... I loved to try to survive in extreme situations in this Clonk Planet game, just trying to build and fix your land, i chose the maps to have lots of volcanoes in purpose, and lots of lightnings, everything that can fuck me up. Somehow, it felt nice, but now when i am older, somehow i just dont see the point, it feels like i am just wasting my time, and i feel that i already know how it ends and thus it feels pointless to do it over and over again.

I also liked to extract minerals from the underground, build elevators, oil digging facility, cut trees and drag them to sawmill to give you wood resources etc. God damn it was cool when i found out how to build an elevator myself, without any instructions, because at those days i couldnt even read english :oops: It was all super hard to play, the controls were fucked up, had weird combinations, like double button press + some other button after that did something etc. And the way you set up the elevator is really complicated: first you find materials, wood and rock (either by digging or buying [your cabin has some amount of resources you can buy, not much]), then you buy some weird box that allows you to build stuff at that place you double-press-some-button-again (lol), then you build that windmill (be sure the windmill doesnt hit ground or anything solid so it can spin freely), then build elevator, and then you buy a wire, put wire from windmill to elevator (NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!) and then you go on the elevator and doublepress some button to make the elevator dig the ground under it. Some other button stopped the elevator etc. I lost my nerves many times with those elevator controls XD

Was really fun to make super big map and design your elevator holes in a way that allows the water that rains from above to have own path where it will get stored, so you wont die when you drop in the water at the bottom of the elevator hole (the elevator will sometimes get you stuck if you are in water and under elevator). And when the winter comes, you go to that water storage you built, you dig the frozen water, press some button to make snowballs while you dig! (you could also make dirtballs from normal ground, useful if you need to fill a hole afterwards). Snowballs melted at summer and made water, i didnt really find a point in snowballs though, never really used them. But the point is, this way you could keep your elevator holes clean and they wont get stuck by snow or water.

Also the nice thing in this Clonk Planet game was that your guys also level up, you got new skills: climb at walls, climb at ceilings, etc. Every time you level up you got some way or another better character. And you level up by simply just playing, no need to do special tasks like kill people or etc. Simply just running around/throwing rocks gave most experience if i remember correctly.

But this is all in the past now... i doubt theres people from clonk planet playing minecraft nowadays. I JUST DOUBT IT.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

In this you go gather stuff for absolutely no purpose or point.There is little gameplay except random level generation.
well... this is true... which, in a way, is why it's unique, because there is no endgame scenario currently (although apparently there will be an "adventure mode" at some point in the future with defined goals)

i'd love to see something like nethack recreated in minecraft, that would truly be the best game ever... the random content generated in minecraft definitely reeks of roguelike... would not be all that surprised to discover the amulet of yendor hidden deep in a cave somewhere

anyways. the reason minecraft is so fun, although it can be somewhat explained, really needs to be experienced firsthand to truly understand.

edit: clonk looks pretty fun, what version should i try?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Meh, they deleted my post. I'll spam it again:
KaiserJ wrote:edit: clonk looks pretty fun, what version should i try?
Try both, clonk endeavour and classic. i like classic feel more, but i think it doesnt have some features from endeavour.

Damn, i feel like playing that game again... :regret: Too bad the multiplayer mode is a lag fest and bugged if i remember correctly :/ Need really low ping.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Heh, I didn't have trouble with the instructions in Clonk since the game's main language is German. I remember mailing something like 20DM to the developer to get a registration code for Clonk 4.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

any changes since halloween update ?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Mostly it is getting online survival working. Which makes me happy :).
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

still good.

side topic - i was bit pissed when ive read that Notch will stop developing MC as long as he will get profits from it :/ its bit faggy if u consider millions of euro for a game in alpha stage. but i dont think he will turn out to be such a fag. just side thought
smoth

Post by smoth »

Wombat wrote:i was bit pissed when ive read that Notch will stop developing MC as long as he will get profits from it :/
I have not heard this.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Well, why waste time on that if it keeps selling already without any work... I bet hes got a lot more things to do than update a game that probably dies as quick as it got popular
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

he is developing MC, there was big update during halloween and some minor between 'then and now'.

finding this thread with link to notch post gonna take me a while and i cba to do it at work right now

bah search broken as always lol
smoth

Post by smoth »

Trademark. Start your own thread please.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Seems that at this stage he has 2 options.

1)Keep devving MC and hope they can get it to a state that draws an even bigger circle of players thus producing revenue at the same or at an increased rate(or at least at a sustainable rate which will cover costs and than some) so they will eventually be able to start making another game and not die out as game developers.

2)Stop major devving of MC aside from fixes and small addons and start working on a second project like MC 2 or something completely different.
This might or might not harm their reputation but has the potential, if they make another quality product, to establish them further as a game developing company both in terms of net worth and in terms of repertoire.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Gota wrote:Stop major devving of MC aside from fixes and small addons and start working on a second project like MC 2 or something completely different.
he already said that, until he will see any point in deving MC

thats the main issue, gaming business order is reversed (first product, then money), so saying stuff like this is bad, he kinda owes ppl good/full product
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't feel that he is saying he will abandon minecraft. I think what he was saying is that he will continue to make more games but minecraft will be the core product. That makes good sense. Say he continues to flesh out minecraft and on the side gets a an extra project to generate revenue. Then he will have a new thing to generate revenue stream(Minecraft can only sell so many copies).
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

thats the main problem with his post ( it was actually taken from his blog). u think what u read. im personally not afraid he will just say 'thx for cash losers' and go to bahamas, but his stance about developing MC is just strange (actually, he changed it (!) somewhere before haloween update)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I believe in notch, it sounds cheesy but I think he is a kindred spirit.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Well, its nothing new that people turn out to be dicks after they win the lottery.
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

I just tryed survival mod. He could stop dev now, the price is really low for such a cool game.
I think i'll buy it, worth it.
I disliked free mode and I think multiplayer can be really fun.
What can you say about multiplayer?
smoth

Post by smoth »

I didn't care for it before. was all LOL I BUILD WHATEVER I WANT, INFINITE DAIMOND PICKS ETC.

Now that you can die and fight in it, I am really interested.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

only thing i miss in MC is some purpose :/ smarter mobs would be cool either. surviving usually means dig hole and u are safe (i mean 'normal' mode, not survival)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”