I came, I saw, I left - Page 6

I came, I saw, I left

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: I came, I saw, I left

Post by Forboding Angel »

Thread necro alert!
KriegEm

Post by KriegEm »

Jools wrote: So you're saying that the trolls/criminals are all australian? I thought that was a thing of the past :wink:
Just a function of population size - 20-30 million people in Aus vs. 300 million in the US and god knows how many in Europe.

I can currently see 1 XTA game with zero people in it, so you're right that there aren't any trolls in XTA games :wink: :wink:
Jools wrote: Seriously, the small size of the XTA community probably is a part of the solution, because you wont yell at people you know. On the other hand, the time between games can be quite long, so new people might just be bored with the talk.
I don't know that having a small community is really a long term solution though. You only have to lose a couple of the core members (or have some people start behaving badly) to risk things falling apart. I'd much rather have a large group of people, but where trolls and arseholes were deterred a bit more effectively.

I read a post somewhere which raised the idea of linking forum accounts to lobby accounts - how likely is that to happen? (I would guess not very).
KriegEm

Post by KriegEm »

PicassoCT wrote:The idea of a league of gentleman has something though.. shame none of the devs is working on that "Rant to Code" Compiler.
I might have a crack at it for the SPADS host or something (ie. register with an email before you can play), but my perl is pretty rusty. I'll take a look at some point and see what I can do, if nobody else wants to.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

While you are on it could you integrate a system that allows you to bet on Games? That way we could extract a percentage to pay for the severs.

This is why people dont rant-at-open Source. You start by whining, and hating, and end up a dev, with a load of wurx. Allways goes to the root of all problems in the world, lazy man like me and you not ready to do what we should do. ;D
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Jools wrote: I have to say that we don't have that problem in xta.
I have to disagree. I basically stopped playing xta because I was totally bashed out. Your community is full of jerks and assholes, who cant stand people coming play and have fun.

Not pointing at you jools though.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Forboding Angel wrote:Thread necro alert!

This is DEAD SPACE!
I luv it when everybody ignores forbs, and then he gets going, raging in sum completely unrelated thread. Its like watching a avalanch, pretty exciting and nice to watch if you dont get caught in it!
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I think that biggest difficulty that small communities face, considering the attitude towards newbs, is this:
  • Small community cant afford losing anymore players.
  • They want more cos they are afraid of dying.
  • Small communities form (relatively) strong friendships and relationships.
  • New player comes in.
  • He appears to be total jerk
  • Community accepts and try to be friends with him/her -- they desperately need more players.
  • New player comes in.
  • Jerk starts to troll and bash. He dont want newbs.
  • Community cant judge him/her and kick him/her out cos' he/she is a friend.
  • New player leaves.
  • Infinite loop
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

KriegEm wrote: Just a function of population size - 20-30 million people in Aus vs. 300 million in the US and god knows how many in Europe.
Yeah yeah, I was just trying to be funny.

500 million is Europe. But there are more than that in Asia, which should be close to your timezone. I've seen one Malaysian guy play, but otherwise there are not many asians here at all. Maybe that would be one solution again, let the Chinese save us again...
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

SirArtturi wrote:I think that biggest difficulty that small communities face, considering the attitude towards newbs, is this:
  • Small community cant afford losing anymore players.
  • They want more cos they are afraid of dying.
  • Small communities form (relatively) strong friendships and relationships.
  • New player comes in.
  • He appears to be total jerk
  • Community accepts and try to be friends with him/her -- they desperately need more players.
  • New player comes in.
  • Jerk starts to troll and bash. He dont want newbs.
  • Community cant judge him/her and kick him/her out cos' he/she is a friend.
  • New player leaves.
  • Infinite loop
+1 Thats spot on. Conclusion lets put the BADSD World and everybody who once jerked off towards a nub on a giant ignore-list for everybody who joins with the standard downloaded client. If you still want to go BAd just click-it-y click it off in Set-things.
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullying
Often bullying takes place in the presence of a large group of relatively uninvolved bystanders. In many cases, it is the bully's ability to create the illusion that he or she has the support of the majority present that instills the fear of 'speaking out' in protestation of the bullying activities being observed by the group. Unless the 'bully mentality' is effectively challenged in any given group in its earlier stages, it often becomes an accepted norm within the group.[48] [49]

In such groups where the 'bully mentality' has been allowed to become a dominant factor in the group environment, a steady stream of injustices and abuses often becomes a regular and predictable group experience. Such a toxic environment often remains as the status-quo of the group for an extended period of time, until somehow the bullying-cycle should eventually come to an end. Bystanders to bullying activities are often unable to recognize the true cost that silence regarding the bullying activities has to both the individual and to the group. A certain inability to fully empathize is also usually present in the typical bystander, but to a lesser degree than in the bully. The reversal of a 'bully mentality' within a group is usually an effort which requires much time, energy, careful planning, coordination with others, and usually the undertaking of a certain 'risk'.

It is the general unwillingness of bystanders to expend these types of energies and to undertake these types of risks that bullies often rely upon in order to maintain their monopolies of power.
so, its not necessarily that the individual is a natural arsehole, but the group dynamic.
the cycle continues:

NeOmega Posted: 15 Dec 2010
KriegEm Posted: 18 Nov 2011 ("Yay Irony.")
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

PicassoCT wrote: I luv it when everybody ignores forbs, and then he gets going, raging in sum completely unrelated thread. Its like watching a avalanch, pretty exciting and nice to watch if you dont get caught in it!
Lemmie save you some trouble.

Raeg post.

There, all better now. Bit anticlimactic.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 21 Nov 2011, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

*LIBERAL STRAWMAN!* HA HA RAGE ABOUT IT FORB! YOU ARE SWIMMING IN THEM IN CALI!

ALSO YOU NO MAEK MAPZ ANYMOOR!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

smoth wrote:ALSO YOU NO MAEK MAPZ ANYMOOR!
What would be the point?

Edited the post so it looks like I actually did rage.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

well you could take a map, and take part in a mapping contest for another game, and when you win, and everybody demands it.

Oh, whoopsy, wrong engine, to bad, dont know how this could happen. :D
Trolling, Sucess and Avertising in one.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

knorke

Post by knorke »

people either repeating age-old spring mantras or spamming necronecro, closing this.

Return to “Ingame Community”