Destroyable Missles

Destroyable Missles

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Noruas
XTA Developer

Destroyable Missles

Post by Noruas »

Is there a way to make missles have hitpoints and they can get hit by cannons and debree, + shockwaves for dmg only. It looks ok if the missle goes straight into a super blast and not be destroyed, but if missles had hp, we could make other missles fly into eachothe and cancel eachother out, and or have certain new intercept weapons where it purposly fires at a nuke or missles to knock it down. ALthough i probably already know the answer to this, but devolpers already have A BIG LIST OF THINGS TO DO AT THE MOMENT, AND WHAT YOU ASK IS REWRITTING THE ENTIRE PROJECTILLE WEAPON SYSTEM FOR SPRING, or that small chance of, yes, thatll be easy, which is funny because it isnt going to happen. And if you havent thought about it yet, add this to ur never ending list.
Yours Needingly,
Noruas
Erom

Post by Erom »

Couldn't you just use the already existing code with nukes and antinukes? I mean, like, mod side? Or are you asking for something more robust than that?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

He's asking for a more abstract robust system.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yes, a more generalized sysem would be nice. I've tried to make a beamlaser-based missile defense but it wouldn't fire at missiles.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

As in, make weapons shoot aircraft units with kamikaze and attack order on target?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

The nuclear missle system in spring is rediculously hardcoded. I think we should just diss the whole thing and rebuild it making nukes in flight player unaccessable AI controlled units. Kamakazi style units that do thier death run with the player having no access to them while they are in process are something I've wanted for a while. Think of reaver balls in starcraft.

I was hoping we could get some mod side global AI support that locks out player input when a certain AI condition has been met.
Soulless1

Post by Soulless1 »

wouldn't it be better to have an 'projectiletargetedby= ' tag in the weapon code, and a 'targetsprojectile= ' tag in the code of the antiweapon, in the same style as shields?

You could also have a 'projectileHP= ' tag, in case you want it to take several hits...but that might be more complicated and be moving more towards making projectiles into 'dummy units' like you said...even so, it'd be nice to have :-)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Soulless1 wrote:wouldn't it be better to have an 'projectiletargetedby= ' tag in the weapon code, and a 'targetsprojectile= ' tag in the code of the antiweapon, in the same style as shields?

You could also have a 'projectileHP= ' tag, in case you want it to take several hits...but that might be more complicated and be moving more towards making projectiles into 'dummy units' like you said...even so, it'd be nice to have :-)
No because there's a half dozen things you can do with units that you can't do with hardcoded projectiles. Animation for one. HP, different movement behaviors (torpedoes that fire and run the waterline like boats won't need to be hardcoded), and with scripting tricks it basicly blows all the limitations of the current system open compleatly.

[edit]Complexity isn't an enemy, modder limitations are the enemy.
Bobcatben

Post by Bobcatben »

in normal ta nukes can hit planes, so can anti's(and normal missles too), one game me and my cousin were playing vs some ai's, well, i was handling air and had all my airports automatically have the planes patrol around out base(as added defense), unfortunately it went right over my cousins nuke launcher, he nuked, it went straght up and hit the stream of planes and took out half our base... ive seen it happen with antis too(which then caused a nuke to make it into our base insted of being shot down x_x), and ive had normal missles miss they're target cause they hit a friendly plane etc.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Hm.. now this is one problem I see with a kamikaze-type unit. It wouldn't explode if it hit something other than its target, unless collision damage is reintroduced in full.
Pxtl

Hmm

Post by Pxtl »

Well, I've always thought that a "spawn unit" tag would be nice for projectiles and explosions. Then you could have deep-striking units, or recon-poles like in Metal Fatigue. The unit could automatically recieve a context-sensitive order for the target. Then you just need to add tags for "can't recieve orders" to the unit itself. Presto, you've got Starcraft reaver-style weapons. Of course, making it optionally return to restock/repair a-la Starcraft carriers would be a different story.
Soulless1

Post by Soulless1 »

okay, good stuff then...as long as there's a way to make units un*select*able, not just uncontrollable...there's nothing more annoying than selecting a unit you can't give orders to along with your units
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Presuming the unit would be created as belonging to a global neutral AI, so that it is able to attack anything including your own units, the problem of making it nonselectable kinda perishes.
altaric

Post by altaric »

why not concider the nuke as a plane ?
would need to change to the core if you can make it uncontrolable ..
fighters could intercept it which seems realistic, isn't it ?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yes but you wouldn't want ordinary fighters to be able to intercept a nuke since that'd make nukes useless. They are supposed to be another attack vector that isn't covered by ordinary defenses (so if someone's porcing but not building antinukes you can nuke him).
Word

Post by Word »

lol anti nuke system = swarm your base with peepers :P
Hunter0000

Post by Hunter0000 »

Maybe this could be worked into the current shield system?

interceptshield=1;

Then it would use the reload,weapon type, reload, weapon model, color, velocity ect ect...

it would fire the interceptor at on a projected path and would run a random:

interceptacc=.5; (where 0.0000 = never works and 1.0000 = always works)

if it works, destroy both interceptor and projectile, if not, just let the interceptor runs its life out as the weapon describes. This way it would also already use the bitfields of the shield too.

how plausable is this?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:Hm.. now this is one problem I see with a kamikaze-type unit. It wouldn't explode if it hit something other than its target, unless collision damage is reintroduced in full.
Nuclear missles shouldn't expode if they hit something other then thier target.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

What about hitting the environment if the target is e.g. behind a hill?

Hm, will Spring ever introduce the blast-blocking environment of TA? You know, put a nuke into the side of a wall and the blast won't hit anyhing on the other side (would also work for preventing blasts from penetrating shields). That could be combined with an explosionheight tag that tells a weapon to aim at a specific height and explode upon hitting that. That's how real nukes work, after all.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Missiles do hit the ground if there's a hill in their path already.

Return to “Feature Requests”