So what are the long term goals for spring anyways?[serious]

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

There is no "road map" per say on the wiki. Is it just a free for all, in a sense is just a bunch of devs scratching their own inch or am I missing something here?
gajop

Re: So what are the long term goals for spring anyways?[serious]

Post by gajop »

We're a bit decentralized as you've noticed.

My plans are:
1. Chobby (ingame lobby) + related infra/engine work (matchmaking + https://github.com/Spring-Chobby/Chobby ... l%3AEngine)
2. Scened + related engine work
3. Libraries, especially for UI effects and shaders

Basically improve Spring at its weakest (lobby) and make more and better tools.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

There is no "road map" per say on the wiki. Is it just a free for all
With checks and balances to ensure that only competent people get to change things, basically, yes. Common goals appear as people commonly want them.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Silentwings wrote:
With checks and balances to ensure that only competent people get to change things, basically, yes. Common goals appear as people commonly want them.
Really? Please explain a bit more as this is something new to me...
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Silentwings wrote:
What "checks and balances"!? Last time I check the devs are a "group club" that only accept new members/patches/etc that they themselves approve!!! That not exactly what I call "check and balances". I lost track on the amount of times that people want feature X that they have to argue to the devs about it and frankly I don't give a shit anymore about the future of spring, its reputation, nor its popularity. You're confirming statement about my suppositions about the development of spring is just a nail in a coffin for me.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Like it or not, ultimately this is how open source projects work. The project leaders (active developers in our case) are those that decide what code gets in or who becomes a part of the dev team and gets push access. I personally haven't had any issues, but if you don't like how it's done here, you have the power to leave and fork it.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

I don't know enough about how all this stuff works, as I am not a dev myself, just a wannabe. But from where I'm sitting as a player of the various games, I would definitely like to see some direction on engine and even mod development. Is it a problem that the community is too small for that? Or will it always be this way? Because it would be really nice to go somewhere.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Q wrote:What "checks and balances"
A wrote:accept new members/patches/etc that they themselves approve ... want feature X ... argue to the devs about it
This is the reality of open source and should not come as a surprise.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

gajop wrote:Like it or not, ultimately this is how open source projects work.
Silentwings wrote:This is the reality of open source and should not come as a surprise.
Clearly, you haven't encounter much of them, as some of them have a road map of sorts or having some form of organization. Even IF were true, that doesn't mean it can not be changed. I not asking 2-3 years in terms of planning here, I am asking the maximum of 1 year and minimum of 1 month. I don't even mind that the plan has change due to untold reasons. Just some transparency on what you guys working on is nice to the users here.
Silentwings wrote:
Q wrote:What "checks and balances"
A wrote:accept new members/patches/etc that they themselves approve ... want feature X ... argue to the devs about it
Here's the part you selectively quote out.
SM wrote:That not exactly what I call "check and balances".
Also quote mining? That's low.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

As far as I can see your question has been answered and insulting the messenger will likely achieve nothing.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Silentwings wrote:As far as I can see your question has been answered and insulting the messenger will likely achieve nothing.
I did not insult you.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

hokomoko wrote:*image*
Hey, did you read the tag? This is a serious discussion here, go somewhere else to post memes. This isn't just about you.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

MasterBel2 wrote:I don't know enough about how all this stuff works, as I am not a dev myself, just a wannabe. But from where I'm sitting as a player of the various games, I would definitely like to see some direction on engine and even mod development. Is it a problem that the community is too small for that? Or will it always be this way? Because it would be really nice to go somewhere.
As far as mod development is concerned, I'm improving my game...Slowly....Maybe I should post on the WIP section something...hmm....

And I was about to work on it just now but instead opened the forum. Now i've spent another half hour thinking if I should join this discussion.

I'll go check the fridge again...Or maybe play Istrolid, just one more game.

Issues.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Spring as an engine keeps getting more features and more stable, so on the whole, I'm reasonably happy with it.

For myself, I've been in a massive rebuild for evo since February. It gets tested reasonably often, and the other night we tested for about 5.5 hours and had a lot of fun. Still rough as hell around the edges as far as the UI, but thankfully at this point the gameplay is all set. Now it's all about just filling in the gaps.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

... to proudly go where no rts-game has gone before?

Seriously though, the mission is to:
Fix what keeps a short term - short engagement audience from being bound to a long term planning, game.

Have anyone without big requirements able to participate in content creation. (Games, Maps, Soundfiles, Animations) If you download spring, you basically have everything you need to make your own rts game.

Have a infrastructure that can take the pressure of for example a release on steam.

Anything crazy the devs come up with. Also the BAR and Zero-K Team go!

Wild genre combinations and big-recent-advances in Luadum Dare.

To have smoth come back and kick ass, when he shows the game he made.

Every man a mission, but we lack the pr-department so we lack the vision. Still going forward.

Oh, and yes, btw - journeywar -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=1
cu when u get there ...

Return to “General Discussion”