Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!) - Page 20

Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Re: Planetary Annihilation (Incoming Moon Drops!)

Post by SinbadEV »

scifi wrote:The only issue is i cant find a competitive 1v1 playerbase on spring, and sadly there is one in PA, thats the only reason i play that game. And even though there arent official ladders and official tournaments the community is way more active and competitive.

EDIT: rank 4 now
That's a really telling... you spend 5 paragraphs pointing out why it's not as good as something Spring can do and yet you still choose to play it because it has a better community and competition... how do we fix our "scene" guys!
Floris

Post by Floris »

.....Migrate project to PA engine as mod : o )
smoth

Post by smoth »

not that simple. and requires spherical worlds etc.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

SinbadEV wrote: ... how do we fix our "scene" guys!

we could always clone the players...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

We should make speed metal and delta siege dry maps for PA, that'll fix the problem
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

SinbadEV wrote: That's a really telling... you spend 5 paragraphs pointing out why it's not as good as something Spring can do and yet you still choose to play it because it has a better community and competition... how do we fix our "scene" guys!
Too much focus on code and too little on gameplay.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:Too much focus on code and too little on gameplay.
LOL! That happens when most of the players play 15 year old content.
Petah

Post by Petah »

I got it for $30 a while ago. I think it was worth the money. Its an ok game, but I like BA/Spring much more than PA.

I think I would have paid like $80 for TA and like $40 for the expansions back in the day, and I think that was worth it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Battle tactics sucked you just needed core contegency
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'd be curious to see TA style unit balance in modded PA with invulnerable warp gates pre-placed strategically for planet to planet movement
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

why the invulnerable warpgates? to make it like in the TA missions? or because of a gameplay-reason? Personally, I think its one of its stronger features to have to force your entrance on a planet which is solely occupied by one team via drops and space units.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Reviews are... ouch.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

It's still only based on 4 critics. User reviews are not so relevant, look at how they are either 0 or 10 mostly.

But still, as wikipedia would say, it has received "mixed reviews". Which is another word for "bad".
gajop

Post by gajop »

Jools wrote:It's still only based on 4 critics. User reviews are not so relevant, look at how they are either 0 or 10 mostly.

But still, as wikipedia would say, it has received "mixed reviews". Which is another word for "bad".
I find the average user rating that comes from a large enough sample far more important than 'critics' reviews.
asasaass

Post by asasaass »

LordMuffe wrote:why the invulnerable warpgates? to make it like in the TA missions? or because of a gameplay-reason? Personally, I think its one of its stronger features to have to force your entrance on a planet which is solely occupied by one team via drops and space units.
Traditionally air in RTS games are less interesting than land because air don't interact with terrains and other units by much, and orbital units are more extreme than that, they don't interact with anything when they jump to another point on the map through the space, and there are less units capable of targeting them than targeting air.
I'd rather have a neutral teleport gate network than a additional uninteresting layer for inter-battlefields gameplay.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I bet the randomly generated maps are one reason why terrain and water matter so little in PA.
scifi

Post by scifi »

KDR_11k wrote:I bet the randomly generated maps are one reason why terrain and water matter so little in PA.
Theres also the lack of plateus and interesting terrain features which are still being implemented. There are mods that add hills and plateus to planets and even some sort of ramps, but the pathfinding fails completly.

After playing and staying in the top rank 10, then dropping to 18 then coming back then dropping again heres what annoys the hell out of me to the point of raging real hard, something i never did with spring:

At least i can say ive beaten a lot of RLM guys...

- fail pathing on planets that have a lot of map features(rocks mostly and trees). tanks getting stuck.
- anti air figthers seam to have a 360 fire arc turret that shoots missiles, sometimes this is so other times you can sneak from the back and hit them first.
- sometimes air takes so fucking loong to come off ground, because of being grouped with 10+ figthers somehow it slows the speed of all of them to the lowest denominator.
- fail auto target of bombers, area attack or even patrol sucks ass, you have to force attack ground.
- fail auto target of units, they can keep shooting at buildings or wrecks and ignore units themselves.
-fail formations, you need to micro your formations either spam guard command to mass the units into a huge blob and avoid the huge formation spacing.
- Games starting without everyone pressing ready(theres a timeout...), screws ladder games badly.
- Fail building placement on several areas, sometimes there are a few mexes that screw with building placement.
- Orbital pathing and auto target HORRIBLE, i mean avengers can just bypass other units and dont shoot at them entirely, requires intensive micro sometimes.
- Fail anchors(orbital lazor turrets) that have more range than anti-orbital canons due to people making maps way to small so the curve of the planet is so high that targeting gets messed up.
- Suicide bots(boom bots) again auto target fail you must micro them intensivly.
- Forced comunism mode in team matches, they havent implemented a way to avoid com-ends and have different team coloured players in a match. Casual team games can be screwed by energy leachers.

It feels like playing a game where you must compensate a bunch of issues, and that annoys the hell out of me to the point of having to stop playing that game, i can micro effectivly due to my starcraft II diamond league(when there wasnt a grand master, never reached grand master though), but i dunno.........

Iam slowly getting tired of it.
Floris

Post by Floris »

On top of it all... Uber Ent. has launched a new kickstarter game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/65 ... c-rts-game

To me it doesn't look like that's going to be gold. Also the way they present it... not as awesome or with much conviction compared to the PA kickstarter one. And the ay they talk about PA in the vid.... :S

..... we 'll have BAR anyway.... within a year or so i guess....
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Human Resources looks like it should be one of those low budget indie tablet games... you know, one gimmick that get's played to death by having as many missions as you can with the same mechanics and assets... except they are putting it in a needlessly complicated destructible environment and throwing a bunch of money at making it look like a big budget game.

For those who have played PA, how close is the final game to the mock-ups from the original kickstarter video?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”