i18n -Internationalization - Let Spring talk Spanish

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Falelovsky

Post by Falelovsky »

I'm a spring user, and would like other friends play Spring games too. But they don't speak English. So my question is, after all this years, did anyone try to help you to translate Spring to Spanish. If not, I would like to offer my help. Lobby text is not so problematic like in-game mesages.

Thank you
Anarchid

Re: i18n -Internationalization - Let Spring talk Spanish

Post by Anarchid »

1) Spring 97.0 is on the horizon, and includes full Unicode support.
2) The i18n duty of individual games and lobbies belongs to their own project.
3) The project you seem to be most interested in - ZK - has an i18n thingy that translates unit descriptions and helptexts, but i think it doesn't have Spanish translations. Activate this by changing your country in EPIC menu settings.

Corollary to 2: if you want to help internationalize a lobby (say, weblobby), apply to contribute to that lobby. If you want to help internationalize a game (say ZK), apply to dev-chat of that game.

Here's an example of a ZK unitdef that has english, french, polish and german translations: http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/source/ ... rmmerl.lua

---

All that aside, it's not possible to implement Gettext game-side in Spring at this stage. I'd love to have a lua binding for gettext shipped with Spring...
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Anarchid wrote:Corollary to 2: if you want to help internationalize a lobby (say, weblobby), apply to contribute to that lobby. If you want to help internationalize a game (say ZK), apply to dev-chat of that game.
What a coincidence - I'm the person to talk to in both those cases.

Weblobby is web-based so it should be the case that automatic translation can be done through google api.

In ZK we did have some Spanish and Italian translations that were both done by a Puerto Rican player a long time ago but it's probably long outdated. This page explains more about what Anarchid said https://code.google.com/p/zero-k/wiki/UnitGuide
Falelovsky

Post by Falelovsky »

Thank you, CarRepairer
In http://packages.springrts.com/zkmanual/index_es.html doesn't appear nothing. However the page "comparison" (http://packages.springrts.com/zkmanual/comparison.html) let me see some units description translated to spanish, but there are ortographic mistakes and most of them are not done.

Anarchid, I don't know where is the "EPIC menu settings", but I imagine is in Zero-K lobby. But as a linux user, I think the easiest way to play Zero-K games is thru Web Lobby, sorry.

I did localized to Spanish some QT applications, but developers send me a file to modify with QT tools and was easy. I tried to add "description_es" and "helptext_es", but I got an error whe trying to save ("Error preparing patch.") after clicking on "Suggest patch" button.

Best regards
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Anarchid, I don't know where is the "EPIC menu settings", but I imagine is in Zero-K lobby. But as a linux user, I think the easiest way to play Zero-K games is thru Web Lobby, sorry.
EPIC menu is that thing that shows up when you hit Esc while playing Zero-K.
In http://packages.springrts.com/zkmanual/index_es.html doesn't appear nothing. However the page "comparison" (http://packages.springrts.com/zkmanual/comparison.html) let me see some units description translated to spanish, but there are ortographic mistakes and most of them are not done.
I think those manuals are autogenerated from unit definition files.
The most cost-efficient program of changing them will lie in joining #zkdev lobby channel and asking for commit access. That is advice.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Some units still have international tags. Why not implement them?
[UNITINFO]
{
UnitName=CORFFF;
Version=1.0;
Side=CORE;
Objectname=CORFFF;
Designation=FFF01-MBD;
Name=Anti-gravity hangar;
Description=Builds very large aircraft;
FrenchName=Hangar Anti-gravité;
FrenchDescription=Construit des unitées aeriennes lourdes;
GermanName=Antischwere Flugzeughalle;
GermanDescription=Baut schwere Flugzeugen;
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

T_T jools, who posts without reading.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Jools, why doesn't your ancient TDF have Finnish? Welcome to five years ago!

Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

That's nice. But what's with the scands? UTF-8?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Jools wrote:That's nice. But what's with the scands? UTF-8?
I would assume that this screenshot was taken prior to support being added for UTF-8 in spring 0.97 RC1

That said... it seems to me that the "technical problems" have been solved... we have a way to store and present most languages moving forward and so it's just a matter of obtaining translations for various games, adding them where they need to be, and making it clear to users how to see them in SpringRTS... right?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Well the screenshot was taken today but ZK official servers still use spring 91.0. I know, laugh it up.

Return to “Feature Requests”