Name for main categorie of widget & gadget - Page 2

Name for main categorie of widget & gadget

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Re: Name for main categorie of widget & gadget

Post by TheFatController »

Sprocket
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

trepan wrote:@FLOZi:
For something else, though SpringRTS could use it. IIRC, jk
was reworking the SpringRTS files, so you're already in good
hands.
I know he is, was just wondering if the two of you had discussed ideas at all. 8)
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

TheFatController wrote:Sprocket
+1
knorke

Post by knorke »

Sprocket is indeed good and it even fits the spring logo.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

trepan wrote:
TheFatController wrote:Sprocket
+1
+1
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I'll also lend my vote to sprocket
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

What is the purpose of unified widget/gadget btw? Wont it confuse the code? Will it run sync/unsynced? Will it be client enablable?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Licho wrote:What is the purpose of unified widget/gadget btw? Wont it confuse the code? Will it run sync/unsynced? Will it be client enablable?
smoth wrote:I kinda like doodad. What is this thing for anyway?
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

smoth wrote:
Licho wrote:What is the purpose of unified widget/gadget btw? Wont it confuse the code? Will it run sync/unsynced? Will it be client enablable?
smoth wrote:I kinda like doodad. What is this thing for anyway?
->
(This name is needed for an unified (widget-/gadget-)handler `used` in LuaRules, LuaGaia & LuaUI.)
zerver wrote:Both Widget and Gadget have this association with "small GUI app", and that is a bit wrong. There may not be any GUI.
True. I prefer something in plugin, module, extension directions, too.

hoijui wrote:(Lua) plugin
Module.. for my understanding, would be something bigger then a plugin. like for example, the different dirs under rts/ in the source tree could be modules, while something like AIs of widgets/gadgets are more like plugins... it is possible to get something going without any gadget/widget, and there may be an arbitrary number of them.
i would say, if you call it plugin, the idea created in a persons mind that know nothing about spring(it's terminology) is as close as you can get to what it really is.
Plugin on the other hand implies that it is isolated (not always true for widgets/gadgets) and easy to exchange (for the modder this is true, but only limited for the user).
In contrast Module is already an used term in Lua terminology for something that is disabled in Spring - btw `require` will get a usage with the new handler.

trepan wrote:doodad
I would be much further when using such name schemes :-)

Sprocket
Hmmm not a common term for such things, on the other hand it fits the usage.

PS: https://github.com/jk3064/new_widgethan ... its/master
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I also like sprocket. It's a long tradition to have an analogy between mechanical enginering and computers. Think about desktops, tools, drawers...
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Firstly, I like plugin, addon or extension as these mimic the concept for web browsers which most people are already familiar with. I really like "wadget" because it's hilarious but I can't see it taking off.

Secondly, your response re the purpose of this was a bit unclear. I get that you're 'unifying' the three systems but what is the actual purpose and implementation of this? What are the implications for existing code, documentation, games, maps and users? How will it affect callins and Lua GL? Why is it needed? etc...

I'm going to assume this is basically refactoring/cleanup and I can see the advantage for engine devs but I wonder how disruptive this is going to be during the transition and how much (if any) existing content will become unusable?

I know that's a lot of questions but I'm too tired right now to try and make sense of your commits and I'm sure others are curious too.
knorke

Post by knorke »

kind of old thread but everything said is still valid so can reuse it.
Two years later:
Sprocket has 15 hits too but they are all in this thread.
Nobody ever used nugget or sprocket to refer to anything lua-related in an actual discussion.
Nuggets and sprockets are awkwardly hyped like Laserdisc and OUYA, wupget is naturally xbox.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

quantum wrote:springlet
+1

This is the most accurate name imo. Nugget is a minesweeper, it is already copyrighted for that use.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

My opinion has little value but I like the logic behind "doodad" being a synonym for widget and gadget... also consider gizmo, thingamabob, whatsit, contraption, whatchamacallit, tackle and doohickey.

Going the other direction agent, rigging or mechanism.

edit: now that I see it written out I really like sprocket... starts with sp- (for spring) and end with -et (like gadget and widget) and it's formal meaning is those toothed gear things (metaphorically speaking "the things that make pieces of the game work together")... and still has the whimsical genericness that we seem to be going for.
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

spridget

- keeping the whole "dget" suffix makes it clearer it is related both to gadgets and widgets
- the "spri" prefix from "spring" makes it clearer it is a global thing, an umbrella term
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

zerver wrote:Without being overly creative: LuaModuleHandler

Both Widget and Gadget have this association with "small GUI app", and that is a bit wrong. There may not be any GUI.
+1
hoijui wrote:(Lua) plugin
Module.. for my understanding, would be something bigger then a plugin. like for example, the different dirs under rts/ in the source tree could be modules, while something like AIs of widgets/gadgets are more like plugins... it is possible to get something going without any gadget/widget, and there may be an arbitrary number of them.

i would say, if you call it plugin, the idea created in a persons mind that know nothing about spring(it's terminology) is as close as you can get to what it really is.
it is always nice if you do not have to read/be told what something is, to have a basic idea of what it could be.
+1

Return to “Engine”