Rooms organisation

Rooms organisation

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeChip

Rooms organisation

Post by JoeChip »

Hi all,

Not sure I'm in the right forum, if not, admin plese move it and remove this line. Thanks :)

I think that if we want more chances to play, more rooms should be active. We get too often stuck outside, or stuck as player, or stuck as spec.

One way to do that is to have one room with only dsd, another "rotating" with only quiet known maps such as Tabula or CenterRock, but no dsd, another with all maps including DSD.

With good room names (even beter with auto idle specs kick), that should help to have less time to wait before to get a game.

Chat rooms included in the battlelist tab so you can chat outside battlerooms while getting a eye on the battle list, could help too.

More than that, one could enter a room even with no spec slot, only to be able to chat in the battleroom, not transmitted ingame, it would fluidify the system and help noobs.

imho, of course, but what do you think about it ?
Last edited by JoeChip on 25 Mar 2013, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Re: Rooms organisation

Post by Silentwings »

One way to do that is to have one room with only dsd, another "rotating"
These already exist, in fact there is more than one (although less than usual right now because one host is being repaired). There are already many different hosts for different size games, types of game, skill level, map, etc.
even beter with auto idle specs kick
This is a good idea and I think it will be implemented in future.
Chat rooms included in the battlelist tab
Wtf? They are currently listed under the 'chat' tab. It is also already possible to chat inside of battles you hvae joined. Imo what you need to do here is rearrange your SpringLobby windows to look like this:

Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

noob

User was warned for this post - Felony 1
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

I don't see the battlelist on your view... And I don't know how to get even that view...

But for the rooms organisation, if we had *precisely* the three I said, plus maybe one with only what "pros" consider to be good big maps, we'd probably have to wait far less time to play + more chance to get balanced games. A "chat only - no spec" status (+ auto-spec and present auto-unspec checkboxes) , and an auto idle kidk would make a synergy with that.

I know reasons for that are not obvious, but it's long to explain, you can find it yourself :)

The problem is that it's rationnal to park in any alive room free spec slot, just in case i'd want to play later... Because everybody does so...

Just to tell : Spring is a awesome work, sincerely, I don't want to complain about anything, but to help and get help.
Last edited by JoeChip on 25 Mar 2013, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.
gajop

Post by gajop »

You should probably mention the game and lobby in the first post: seems to me like you are using SpringLobby and playing BA. Other lobbies may have the layout you want (and still support BA).
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

You're right about SL & BA... Maybe this topic should be moved elsewhere ? Or splitted between "rooms organisations", "lobby layout" and "no-spec chat" ? If it has any interest, of course.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

You might wanna give weblobby a try. It's a lot nicer: http://weblobby.springrts.com
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

Ok thanks i'll take a look.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

To get the layout I'm using, just click on the top of the window panes and start moving them around, until you have them in the places you want them! (At least, that works on windows).
if we had *precisely* the three I said, plus maybe one with only what "pros" consider to be good big maps, we'd probably have to wait far less time to play + more chance to get balanced games.
We wouldn't. The reason is that there is nothing particularly special about that combination you've picked; it might optimize what you want but other people want a range of different things. It takes more than three hosts to accomodate this. (Note that as a subset of what is curently online there are three hosts which basically match what you stated.)

There would also be a huge problem whenever anything was updated/redesigned because as soon as even one of those hosts broke/needed an update people would have nowhere to play.
JoeChip

Post by JoeChip »

If yoou say so... but a room with NO dsd and one with ONLY dsd...?

But about a "chat only" status ? with "autospec" option ?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

but a room with NO dsd and one with ONLY dsd...?
It was tried about two years ago with no noticeable difference.

Return to “Ingame Community”