Game mod won't launch for me

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

moutandihami

Post by moutandihami »

I didn't see a situation quite like mine, so I made a new topic. I'm making a mod called OpenMachines, and it launches for my co-dev Automatics, but it won't launch on my new (read: only available) computer. It seems mod-specific, because I can launch BA every single time.
I'm going to link infolog files for Automatics running OpenMachines, myself crashing OM, and myself running BA.
Additionally, the crash happens, as you can see on infolog, while it's still in loadscreen/splash screen, somewhere between creating treedrawer and projectile textures inclusively.
Automatics running OM: http://paste.springfiles.com/view/c0570207
Myself Crashing OM: http://paste.springfiles.com/view/114d50bc
Myself Running BA: http://paste.springfiles.com/view/3020d9bc

Obviously I'm asking for help with how to understand why it only seems to run on some computers, and what I can do to the mod to fix this. I would blame it on my AMD APU, but BA is working, and updating my driver didn't change things.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Game mod won't launch for me

Post by Forboding Angel »

Why don't you try fixing the errors first? The infolog is FULL of them. Why would you come here complaining about a mod not loading when the infolog is FULL of mod errors?

Did you even bother to look at the infolog?

Note: Assassin has 4 s'. Lots of people make that mistake. It's a tricky word.
moutandihami's Infolog wrote:[f=0000000] Error: This stack trace indicates a problem with your graphic card driver. Please try upgrading or downgrading it. Specifically recommended is the latest driver, and one that is as old as your graphic card. Make sure to use a driver removal utility, before installing other drivers.
Automatics did not crash. His infolog indicates that he loaded normally. However, if you were the one hosting and you crashed, then that would cause him to be booted out of the game as well.

Fix the errors, First.
moutandihami

Post by moutandihami »

Come on, man. I explained everything in my post. Also, I know how to spell "assassin," but I didn't write that file name.

To clarify: We're not playing this in multiplayer; each of us is just running a test of the mod offline.

I gave Automatics' infolog only because his mod ran, and it's the exact same file as mine. He has all of the same errors, except the one that crashes mine, which seems to be some memory related error. I would assume this is a gpu error from what the infolog says, but it's only coming up with openmachines, and not with balanced annihilation. I just don't know what would be causing that.

I didn't feel like fixing every little error that seems unrelated to the crash before asking. The actual crash doesn't appear to be caused by missing files, considering that the game can still run on some computers. If you can explain otherwise, then please, go ahead. I'd also appreciate it if you'd discontinue your condescending method of explaining things. I'm 18, not 10. I know I'm not a true adult, but good god is it annoying to be talked at like a child.

By the way: it's 3 AM, so I'm sorry if there's some giant lapse in logic in this post
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

One reason Forb is probably suggesting that is so that it could be more clear as to what the problem is. We're just looking at some infologs with a lot of information, it can be hard to figure out or even notice what the error could be.

Unfortunately I don't have any real answer to your question (I didn't look too hard, but I'm really not the best to consult for such issues). Usually when I see that sort of error I assume it is something beyond my control and it usually ends up being a random crash/bug/whatever. I'm sure an engine dev could shed some light on this for you.
knorke

Post by knorke »

the errors are not cause of crash.
with spring 93 some players just crash a bit more.
solutions:
try lower settings (esp turn 3dTrees and grass off)

try safemode by spring.exe --safemode (write that in a .txt file next to spring.exe, rename to bla.bat, doubleclick it)

try to make sure your pc uses the correct gfx card for spring (in case you it has a 2nf onboard thing)

try spring 91 http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28630
and most obvious:
try spring 94 http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29965
Automatic

Post by Automatic »

Just to clear up some things:

The errors in the infolog are mainly errors from empty unitdefs that haven't been used yet, however, it seems like a good idea to just pull them out for testing the game. All of those errors are in one part of the infolog and have not caused a crash on my computer(win7, SP1, 64 bit), and moutandihami's xp computer.

I have been able to run the game without any errors over 93.1/2 and 94.0, but mout has not been able to run the game on either version.

In mout's first post, he noted that BA works fine for him, yet OM crashes during the loading screen. Does it make sense that spring is doing this, or would it have to be something in OM that's doing it? It always seems to crash right after "creating projectile textures," so I would assume that they need to be reloaded.

Also, I hadn't noticed my typo on assassin because the file was not in use.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Shot in the dark guess; Some problem with a texture, NPOT perhaps.

Are you using the 'automatic' resources.lua with images under bitmaps/projectiletextures?
moutandihami

Post by moutandihami »

First: Thanks for the help, guys (yes, that includes forboding :D)
Second: I ran in safemode and openmachines booted the first time. Now I just want to know why I don't have to run BA in safemode.
FLOZi wrote:Shot in the dark guess; Some problem with a texture, NPOT perhaps.

Are you using the 'automatic' resources.lua with images under bitmaps/projectiletextures?
See, the thing is I don't actually have a resources.lua under bitmaps :oops:
I guess that could be the problem. Also don't know if we have NPOT textures or not. I'll have to look through them.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Only a problem if you are trying to refer to any custom textures for CEGs or weapon sprites.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

moutandihami wrote:Come on, man. I explained everything in my post. Also, I know how to spell "assassin," but I didn't write that file name.
Actually, you entirely neglected to acknowledge that there were over a hundred mod related errors in the infolog, which leads anyone to believe that you didn't even bother to look at it.
moutandihami wrote:To clarify: We're not playing this in multiplayer; each of us is just running a test of the mod offline.
I was giving one potential reason because all the mod errors in your infolog make it a waste of time to try to diagnose it in detail.
moutandihami wrote:I gave Automatics' infolog only because his mod ran, and it's the exact same file as mine. He has all of the same errors, except the one that crashes mine, which seems to be some memory related error. I would assume this is a gpu error from what the infolog says, but it's only coming up with openmachines, and not with balanced annihilation. I just don't know what would be causing that.
Well, to me the answer is somewhere along these lines:
The fact that it crashes on projectile textures means that he probably fucked up a ceg somewhere or your gfx card is running out of vram (which I highly doubt, but hell if I know).

Spring will crash spectacularly if you so much as put a comma in the wrong place in a ceg. Flozi's point about resources.lua is spot on as well. You should definitely use automagic resources.lua.
moutandihami wrote:I didn't feel like fixing every little error that seems unrelated to the crash before asking. The actual crash doesn't appear to be caused by missing files, considering that the game can still run on some computers. If you can explain otherwise, then please, go ahead. I'd also appreciate it if you'd discontinue your condescending method of explaining things. I'm 18, not 10. I know I'm not a true adult, but good god is it annoying to be talked at like a child.

By the way: it's 3 AM, so I'm sorry if there's some giant lapse in logic in this post
Those unrelated errors, you will find later on, often cause lots of issues, up to and including crashes. It's a pretty basic rule of thumb to fix all blatant errors first before asking for help.

You asked a question while making a derpface. You shouldn't be shocked when you get replies that speak to you as though that is your normal face.

RE: The assassin's comment... That was more informative than anything. We all fuck up words sometimes. It happens. Would you rather no one mention it to you causing embarrassment down the line?

As an example, long ago, I accidentally named a unit "...artillarytank" and did notice for a week. Shit happens.

It would be wise not to get on the defensive when someone points out the obvious.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Automatic resources.lua is here:

http://springrts.com/wiki/Resources.lua#Automatic

It belongs under gamedata/, not bitmaps/, that is where the images for custom projectile sprites and CEGs (explosions) go. But as I said originally - shot in the dark guess, especially as it is crashing for one of you and not the other, this is most likely not the problem.
moutandihami

Post by moutandihami »

Forboding Angel wrote: Actually, you entirely neglected to acknowledge that there were over a hundred mod related errors in the infolog, which leads anyone to believe that you didn't even bother to look at it.
I'll agree to that
Forboding Angel wrote: Spring will crash spectacularly if you so much as put a comma in the wrong place in a ceg. Flozi's point about resources.lua is spot on as well. You should definitely use automagic resources.lua.
I'm going to try this; thanks forb and flozi.
Forboding Angel wrote: RE: The assassin's comment... That was more informative than anything. We all fuck up words sometimes. It happens. Would you rather no one mention it to you causing embarrassment down the line?

As an example, long ago, I accidentally named a unit "...artillarytank" and did notice for a week. Shit happens.

It would be wise not to get on the defensive when someone points out the obvious.
Lol I just didn't make the mistake. I also didn't feel like fixing it yet. When you pointed it out, I read it like condescending sarcasm, and I replied as such. I guess thanks for the correction :|

EDIT: I replaced the resources.lua with the automatic one and it ran. Thanks again guys!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It's worth noting... Be careful, because automagic resources.lua expects some of the default textures to be in the default folder in bitmaps.

However, this may no longer be an issue (due to changes in spring's basecontent). I do not know. So if you notice some strange issues on that front, it may be related.

Flozi and smoth could explain it better than I could though.

Return to “Game Development”