Faster Than Light - Page 2

Faster Than Light

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rumpelstiltskin

Re: Faster Than Light

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

You can open shafts that have enemies in them to kill em :) not just to deal with fires.
You can turn of some systems even at the beginning to power stuff that you think is more important.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Azhukar wrote:It's almost like professional jealousy going on here. Only people are not actually making money off of the games they make. Or have a stable playerbase.

Why so bitter guys?
I don't like the ethics of what they did. They kickstarted a moderately in progress project asking for 10,000 dollars, and when they received 200,000 dollars they rushed the game out in about 5 months.

Kickstarting a project isn't the same as buying a project after release. That's kind of the whole point of the system, that you pay some amount initially to act as an informal investor to a project you want to see developed.

As a backer, I greatly disagreed with their mindset of "oh, we've got more money, now we'll rush the project out faster" The whole reason people invested more into the project is that development time could go on longer, and better talent could be brought on board to make improvements where needed. Investing in a kickstarter is never demanding a faster release.

Regardless, like you say, no one signed a contract that development would go my way just because I supported the project earlier on. They weren't obligated not to take the higher investment figure as "the 10,000 we needed to finish development and a bonus 190,000 in preorders"

I just wanted to vent. To make it clear why what went on bothers me, and why I personally find it hard to look at the finished product without it feeling unpolished to me.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

SwiftSpear wrote:Trade and economics are WAY underrepresented compared to what I was hoping this game would do.
I'm absolutely glad that that stuff isn't in the game. If it was like X3 you'd spend 10 hours farming the trade lanes before you can even engage your first enemy. FTL is great because of the feeling of "ohshithowcanIsurvivethat???" and forcing you to improvise.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

In the beginning there was Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, a fun little space game with real time 2D combat and a game ususally does not last longer than 10-20 minutes. This game is an exact carbon copy with a different combat model that offers gameplay of up to an hour. I've watched like 10h of youtube footage, looks like a fun game to watch on youtube.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

KDR_11k wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:Trade and economics are WAY underrepresented compared to what I was hoping this game would do.
I'm absolutely glad that that stuff isn't in the game. If it was like X3 you'd spend 10 hours farming the trade lanes before you can even engage your first enemy. FTL is great because of the feeling of "ohshithowcanIsurvivethat???" and forcing you to improvise.
I loved X3, but yeah, I can understand that sentiment. There were times it was a bit ridiculous.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The B version of the secret ship is completely awesome, you guys should try to unlock it.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

that four laser ship is totally awesome too
tzaeru

Post by tzaeru »

rattle wrote:that four laser ship is totally awesome too
Yeah, as long as you manage to upgrade before running to enemy with 4 shields. :P

But daarn. I just lost on Normal to 2nd Rebel Flagship fight. And in quite the sad way. I knew the amount of drones and shields would be a problem so I had two highly trained Mantis for boarding party - plan was to drop them into enemy's drone control room and win the fight that way.

But in the end of 7th sector I was boarding an enemy and accidentally fired a missile at it when it was at low HP and lost my boarding crew. I tried to train a new one in time, but, by when I fought the Rebel Flagship 2nd time, I had forgotten to put them ready in teleportation room.. And first thing the flagship does? Blows up the teleportation room, setting two fires in it and a hole in the floor. I never recovered in time.. :cry:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Don't feel too bad about it, you wouldn't have been able to lay a hand on the drone system anyway before you get swarmed by the ship's crew and overwhelmed.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

This game's great and if you don't like it you're a bad person.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

So the free expansion is out.

Since I'm far too lazy to play the copy I already have (there are much less infuriating games on my plate at present), anyone here gave it a spin and want to share feedback?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

KingRaptor wrote:So the free expansion is out.

Since I'm far too lazy to play the copy I already have (there are much less infuriating games on my plate at present), anyone here gave it a spin and want to share feedback?
Since nobody has chimed in... haven't even finished one new game but I'll state that so far it's a "more of the same" deal... like, if you loved FTL but got tired of it because the content was feeling repetitive, there is now more content so it feels less repetitive... if you hated FTL for any other reason, it's probably still not going to do it for you. There have also been a few minor "polish" changes in the interface, so if you were on the fence because of interface stuff then it might be time to try again.

All in all I am terrible at reviewing games.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”