Game Port to Spring Engine: How hard, how much?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

beyou

Post by beyou »

Greetings,

First let me state clearly that I am not a developer. I am just a gamer, much like many of you. I apologize if this post is in the wrong section and please move it if I am wrong in posting it here.

I am interested in paying for the (re)development of a new game on the Spring Engine. The game is the 3 iteration of a 3D war game that has been around since 1996.

The current version of the game, Call of Combat, can be found here: http://www.callofcombat.com

The developer is AFAIK for the most part and development and updates are slow going, to say the least.

The game is the result of an old company going out of business many years ago. The original game was Chain of Command, by 2AM games.

------------------------------

Now, why I am here. First a few questions.

1: Does the functionality of this game look feasibly able to be ported onto this engine?

2: Are there freelance designers and engine developers in this community who would want to work on something like this?

3: Have there been any other successful ports onto this engine?

Thanks for the read folks.
beyou

Re: Game Port to Spring Engine: How hard, how much?

Post by beyou »

Even something like this, found in another area of the forums, is similar to what I'd be looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG3n5DtoaL8
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

I haven't developed anything on Spring since 2009, so my info might be out of date.

Biggest problem I think might be windows. AFAIK Spring units can now have hit-spheres equal to their 3D models. But I don't think that units would try firing through a unit that has a hole(In this case, wall with window as a unit) in its hit-sphere to shoot a unit behind it.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Ever considered modding alien swarm? That would probably be much better suited.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

So could you outline the important mechanics of this game?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I have had several (failed) game concepts that orbit mechanics of urban warfare, and really your biggest challenge is that spring will be very difficult to get any use inside buildings much less using doors and windows (it is possible though). I think the alien swarm engine idea is a much better bet.

Return to “Game Development”