Hosting my own lobby server

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

t[QQt]

Post by t[QQt] »

I want to host my own lobby server / autohosts for a group of us. My question is can I do this and still have players see the server from the main lobby?

I guess what I am asking is does spring support some sort of node and leaf structure like IRC?

We'd be on a LAN and remote in our group.

I'd also like to give back to the spring community through hosting a back up lobby server.
t[QQt]

Re: Hosting my own lobby server

Post by t[QQt] »

Also if anyone is interested in setting up and entirely new lobby server outside of the current admins domain; please feel free to message me.

It seems like there is a lot of inbreeding and overlap in the engine / lobby and the autohosts. When a player is kicked or banned from certain mods, it immediately translates into a ban from the lobby.

This makes it impossible to play other mods. I see a lot of drama related to certain autohosts and mods on the forum that result in lobby bans due to the arrogance of mod admins that are also lobby admins.

I will see how far I get with SpringLS this week.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Just out of interest: What are the requirements for a good lobby server? And while we are at it, what are the requirements for a single autohost?
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

klapmongool wrote:what are the requirements for a single autohost?
Perl for SPADS and like 100MB RAM for running a spring-dedicated process. Works on Windows and Linux. Setup is extremely easy, because the SPADS installer guides you through it. Bandwidth and CPU requirements are neglectable.
t[QQt]

Post by t[QQt] »

When I ran about 5 SPADS autohosts bandwidth was negligible and the CPU/Ram overhead was less 200MB.

Spring is relatively efficient even on a large map with 64 players.

So no admins care to answer about a new lobby server?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I'm not an admin but I can answer a bit... you can totally run your own but there is no support for relaying or leafing or whatever.

You'll have to work out some of the details yourself but I think the official server is running https://github.com/lunixbochs/uberserver (though I may be totally wrong).
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

yeah, no support for connecting multiple lobby servers exists. it does not make sense, as a lobby server does not have to do CPU or RAM heavy stuff, and the community is small.
why do you want to run your own lobby server anyway, if your LAN has access to inet?
runnung local autohost makes sense, but not local lobby server; or at least i could not see how.
Last edited by hoijui on 29 Jun 2012, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
aegis

Post by aegis »

https://github.com/lunixbochs/uberserver is the lobby server running on springrts.com.

The system requirements are pretty much nothing as long as you stay away from from accounts.txt (just use mysql if you want to save user logins).

The server itself only requires Python to run. Run fetch_deps.py if you want to grab the dependencies for ip2country and SQL backends.

Run server.py to start up a lan server, or check out the command-line arguments (server.py --help) to see about customizing it.

Return to “Linux”