user interface - Page 4

user interface

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Re: user interface

Post by Saktoth »

The command menu is brand new, so there will be teething difficulties.

But that first picture looks totally fine. The UI isnt obtrusive, the only problem is that its too far into the middle for some reason. I suspect this is because the layout is detecting the chilli command wrapper (for the old command menu), and i had this problem too when i tried to enable the chilli command wrapper.

It goes to crap when you go into the guts and start disabling everything, which shouldnt be necessary.

Control f11 will allow you to see whats going on, and easily moving stuff around. You shouldnt have to know this, but then, you shouldnt have to touch the widget menu at all: and you dont, the default should work fine.

The FPS lowering when you select a unit is a serious problem. I've been seeing this too sometimes, since the new spring version or thereabouts. I havent had it recently though. If you could help us replicate it that would be appreciated. It could be anything, though.

The cursor tip, well, some people agree that is misplaced, but it shouldnt be that distracting.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Rule 1:
Test with defaults! - delete ca_order and ca_data.

There is no wrapper in defaults and default location is to the left above chili selection.

Rule 2:
Provide correct feedback!

I got no slowbacks at all due to command menu, its heavily optimized compared to other widgets. Are you sure its command menu and not say chili selections?

Do tests, report feedback! - it takes little effort to enable/disable widgets and at least determine which one it is for sure.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

What knorke said is like deja vu for me when i run CA for the first time. I hope CA devs consider these reports.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Licho wrote:Test with defaults! - delete ca_order and ca_data.
Eh, from where??
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

luaui/configs
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

We care about proper feedback, best way is to make ticket on CA site with all the information attached.
But it needs some work from the user too of course.
knorke

Post by knorke »

But that first picture looks totally fine. The UI isnt obtrusive, the only problem is that its too far into the middle for some reason.
as i wrote:
knorke wrote:i want to draw a rectangle to select a tank and appearently grab those buttons by accident that DO NOT LOOK MOVEABLE and then i could not get them back because i had no idea where to grab them.
I still do not know where to grab them, it clicked and hovered around the whole thing but the mousepointer never changes, no tooltip saying "drag to resize" etc.
Test with defaults!
I installed new spring, downloaded whatever latest CA was hosted (8405) and it looked like this. How can i know its not default? Maybe it not using default is another bug.
it takes little effort to enable/disable widgets and at least determine which one it is for sure.
the way they interact (disable one chili thing, 10 widgets fail) makes it impossible and too frustating for me to test anything there. same with fps lag. one would have to play at least 5 minutes with a configuration to see how stable fps are. Put in some logging or whatever and I will happily upload logs.

One very easy to reproduce way to fuck everything is play in window mode and then resize the window. It changes position of numerous elements like minimap and ressource bars.
We care about proper feedback, best way is to make ticket on CA site with all the information attached.
So would you like one ticket for every bug like "buildmenu and minimap overlap", "the whole menu lags", "menus move on their own" or
maybe just one ticket that says "its all a big mess"?
I mean, it literally suddendly looks like this:
Just accept that its fucked.
Discussing details like "Oh, But I would like it better if the radial buildmenu would require clicking on icons instead of hovering" is useless at this point. Das ist doch echt Quark.
It goes to crap when you go into the guts and start disabling everything, which shouldnt be necessary.
So you even already know that disabling one widget makes it spam errors and everything goes to hell? (well, from 6th to 7th circle)
And yet nothing is done about it? coolstory.jpg

Also love how something with "teething difficulties" is in the stable version.
pintle

Post by pintle »

knorke wrote:
Test with defaults!
I installed new spring, downloaded whatever latest CA was hosted (8405) and it looked like this. How can i know its not default? Maybe it not using default is another bug.
That is the dictionary definition of default, you were testing with defaults. Friendly devs ftw!
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

under windows, installing new spring usually means, installing on top of an older installation. would that not mean it is likely to not use defaults?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Yeah installing spring over existing/previous version is not default.
I test with real defaults (nub installation, no custom widgets or tweaks in any configs).

We really can't account for various local configurations.
If you spot specific problem and know what leads to it in default configuration, please make a ticket.

It's also recommended to not touch widgets in CA. They are designed to work together and they usually need each other. You can customize lots of GUI using built in settings menu.

This specific crash was fixed in next stable, but really don't touch widgets unless you are prepared to also deal with similar problems.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

To be fair, if the problem is with the CA config from old versions of CA borking the newer players, isn't that something that shuold be handled on your end? I mean, if every player who updates from a previous CA to the new CA is going to see their GUI a-splode as old settings confuse the new widgets, isn't that a bug?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Also remember to use latest version when testing UI and state which version you are using. Many minor things can be fixed just about as soon as they come up and it is a pain to hear the same complaints about it until next stable is released.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Pxtl wrote:To be fair, if the problem is with the CA config from old versions of CA borking the newer players, isn't that something that shuold be handled on your end? I mean, if every player who updates from a previous CA to the new CA is going to see their GUI a-splode as old settings confuse the new widgets, isn't that a bug?
We do reset CA config (each stable, which must be annoying to those who heavily customize), but we cannot reset user's engine settings.
For example we assume user has /info displayed, because thats spring default. So people who turned it off don't have player list in CA.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Ah, fair enough. Honestly, I wish /info would get added to the standard Spring widget list. It seems like every other game I play (BA, CA, whatever) I have no player-list, thanks to mods and widgets arguing with each other... and I never remember the console command.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

To clear things up here is what the interface look like as of r8448

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This shows worst case scenario, as in you are chatting.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Licho wrote:Rule 2:
Provide correct feedback!
Being a software developer i can tell that when bugs are so _evident_ i usually don't except bug reports until during my tests everything looks stable and i am ready to enter alpha/beta phase of development. Current test versions are WIP. So, may be users should _not_ report bugs on test CA assemblies until some time?

Google_Frog, what's that map name?
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

what about: instead of resetting the config, have a button to reset them manually. what could also be helpful, is a shortcut that takes a screen-shot, and packs it together with the current config and uploads it to some server (filebin.ca?) and writes the URL to infolog.

:D no bug reports on test versions :D
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Problem is we cannot reset it ingame. Reloading luaui will still use old non existing config for some reason.

Which makes such button silly.. "reset" and nothing happens.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Google_Frog wrote:To clear things up here is what the interface look like as of r8448

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This shows worst case scenario, as in you are chatting.
is this a bug report or what it is supposed to look like?
seeing as there is double stuff (the info about commander, time)

@slogic
archer hills, archer valleys or something
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Time is twice because the bottom menu is esc menu (esc was pressed).

knorke, thanx.

Small request: print unit speed on that info panels. Very useful.

Return to “Zero-K”