Applying nochase category to fighter planes

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

Pretty much what the subject says. The no chase category doesn't apply to fighter airplanes even if the weapons are set only to shoot at air. It doenst' sound like a very big problem, but it makes it impossible to set your fighters on patrol if there are any enemy units around.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

+1

Isn't it on the MTR?
Fri13

Re: Applying nochase category to fighter planes

Post by Fri13 »

smartie wrote: It doenst' sound like a very big problem, but it makes it impossible to set your fighters on patrol if there are any enemy units around.
It is big problem. Player has units patrolling AIR and units starts chasing ground units whate are taken care by other units.
kiki

Post by kiki »

makes for easy destruction of enemy air patrol. Whatever they exploit against you, you can exploit against them. Remeber that maxim.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Problem is, some of use use bombers that aren't really bombers (iirc, EE is like this, evo does it, maybe gundam too but I'm not usre on that one), because, bomber flight and fight patters are 100% phailure. It is a little frustrating when gunships or fighters (and by extention, bombers) lock on to an air target that they can't attack. Fix plox!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Of course, assuming valid targets from the role a unit had in OTA is stupid anyway.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

So do people propose perhaps to recycle old interceptor=1 tag for vtol fighters; if interceptor=0 a unit in flight does not chase other air units?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

No, that is TOTAL nonsense. NoChaseCategory is fine.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Isn't the problem more of a target lock issue, where it just won't give up trying to defend itself and continues chasing something that attacked it already?
manored

Post by manored »

kiki wrote:makes for easy destruction of enemy air patrol. Whatever they exploit against you, you can exploit against them. Remeber that maxim.
This is true but if something is expoitable and you cant prevent it then everone must do it thus reducing the strategy options and making the game less fun... like, if everone start exploiting the AI weakness to kill fighter patrols then people will have to stop making fighter patrols.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

MadRat wrote:Isn't the problem more of a target lock issue, where it just won't give up trying to defend itself and continues chasing something that attacked it already?
Has nothing to do with defending, the plane just picks a target independent of its weapons.
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

I'm going to start working on this.
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

Just committed something that should fix this. Revision 5418.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I don't see anything in the change log. Was it complicated?

https://springrts.com/svn/spring ... ngelog.txt
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

svn log says there was a commit (no one updated the changelog.txt though):

Code: Select all

Revision: 5418
Author: przybyjw
Date: 06:45:38, 29.01.2008
Have fighting, patrolling and guarding aircraft and guarding ground units follow noChaseCatagory.
----
Modified : /trunk/rts/Sim/Units/CommandAI/AirCAI.cpp
Modified : /trunk/rts/Sim/Units/CommandAI/AirCAI.h
Modified : /trunk/rts/Sim/Units/CommandAI/MobileCAI.cpp
Modified : /trunk/rts/Sim/Units/CommandAI/MobileCAI.h
Big thanks for that, now I need to compile an svn Spring to see if this indeed fixed fighter problems :-)
lurker

Post by lurker »

The changelog generally gets updated in big batches by whoever feels like it, such as tombom.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

yuritch wrote:now I need to compile an svn Spring to see if this indeed fixed fighter problems :-)
http://buildbot.no-ip.org/~buildbot/spring

;-)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Tested this, and I found that now Fighters and Bombers automatically attack Neutral Units, which they shouldn't do unless given a specific order.
ILMTitan
Spring Developer

Post by ILMTitan »

After looking over the code, it is not apparent why this would be happening, and in fact appears that it should not be.

Just to be clear, while executing a fight or patrol command, the aircraft is being given a command to attack the neutral unit, as evidenced by, with shift held down, a line from the aircraft to the neutral, which has an attack symbol hovering over it? That opposed to the aircraft simply firing at neutral units while flying by (a different problem I am still willing to look into).

If you can confirm, could you post or PM me your test mod/map/whatever so I can test?

Also, I haven't put it in the changelog yet because it is not definitively fixed, and I am considering other, somewhat related changes.
Argh

Post by Argh »

while executing a fight or patrol command, the aircraft is being given a command to attack the neutral unit, as evidenced by, with shift held down, a line from the aircraft to the neutral
Yes, that's what is happening. I'll send you a copy of the latest build of P.U.R.E., so that you can see it.

Return to “Feature Requests”