Mac Binary Release - Page 16

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Mac Binary Release

Post by AF »

The ideal solution would be an unsynced unitdef class that's referred to in unitdef. However to save time it was just changed to unsigned int

IIRC GLuint is ubyte under mac os
Commander

Post by Commander »

I'm back in action! I changed the GLuint explicit casts to proper declarations.
AF wrote:For example a GLuint was replaced with an unsigned int in UnitDef because it meant AIs would need to add OpenGL as a dependency, which is quite absurd.
I didn't stumble across this one. I hope I didn't break building the AIs, I didn't try that yet.

I attached a diff with my changes so far. I hope a simple "svn diff" is sufficient, my experience is limited in this.

By the way: The changelog of the new release mentions a full network code rewrite. Does this already allow inter-arch network play?
Attachments
spring-macupdates.diff.bz2
Diff of my Mac related updates to revision 5236
(25.79 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Commander: please upload your patch here so it won't get lost:

http://spring.clan-sy.com/mantis/main_page.php
Commander

Post by Commander »

imbaczek wrote:Commander: please upload your patch here so it won't get lost:
Done. See http://spring.clan-sy.com/mantis/view.php?id=771
The patch provided there includes a small fix for an explicit cast I missed out in the patch provided here in the forums.
AF wrote:For example a GLuint was replaced with an unsigned int in UnitDef because it meant AIs would need to add OpenGL as a dependency, which is quite absurd.
I'm on the AIs now, and it seems they do depend on OpenGL...
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

The point is they shouldn't :-)
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Fortunately the dependency is limited to one loneley GLuint in UnitDef. ;)
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

For one GLuint it may still be a hell of a lot of work to factor it out properly ;-)
bulldawg

Post by bulldawg »

YES!
Damn, I loved TA. I'm learning C++ now, not nearly on the level that I would need to contribute... but hell. This is AWESOME!! Mac TA makes a glorious return!
bulldawg

Post by bulldawg »

ummm... where's the latest build? Actually - what is it exactly that I have to download?
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

You have to download the SVN from here
https://spring.clan-sy.com/svn/spring/trunk/
then patch it with the patch that Commander submitted. You also have to download and build all the dependencies for which you could use Commander's dependencies xCode project (note requires that you install the developer tools). Then you have to try to compile it, which I have not attempted yet.
bulldawg

Post by bulldawg »

... I'm obviously not in the loop here :oops:

A little embarrassed to ask, but where exactly is the SVN in this directory? Or is the composite bunch of files in /trunk the SVN? I'm confused... like someone said earlier, if somebody has the time, please explain this process simply for (mac) newcomers.
bulldawg

Post by bulldawg »

ok I downloaded SpringRTS 0.74b3+ Universal Mac Build 0.7gU
along with a map and a mod, which I put in the correct location (I know because I just played a test script on the chess map)
and the new mac patch uploaded by commander. Where exactly do I put the patch?
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

bulldawg wrote:... I'm obviously not in the loop here :oops:

A little embarrassed to ask, but where exactly is the SVN in this directory? Or is the composite bunch of files in /trunk the SVN? I'm confused... like someone said earlier, if somebody has the time, please explain this process simply for (mac) newcomers.
SVN is the program that is used to share and keep track of the sources of the program, SVN is also used as slang term for the development version spring (spring SVN)

you need a SVN client to retrive the sources from the svn repository url (the link posted by dandygnome) then compile them yourself

the link you posted refers to a old, precompiled version that cannot be changed, if you wanna contribute you'll have to do the aforementioned steps
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Tobi committed that patch, so you could just download the trunk and figure out how to compile it (I have no idea how to do this on a MAC).
Commander

Post by Commander »

If you are able to wait a couple of days: I'm quite close to make a nice easy to use binary release. But right now I'm struggling with some strange issue in C++ polymorphism...

The SVN version currently only allows you to play on your own, even without bots. I managed to compile the AIs, and will upload a patch soon.

For those who want to try to compile: You need to open the project file in rts/build/xcode with XCode and build. Make sure you meet all the dependencies. My dependencies package (read in this thread on the previous page) has to be in a directory next to the spring source tree. You need Ogg, Vorbis and Freetype as well...

It's complicated. I recommend waiting just a little longer :mrgreen:
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

Thanks a lot Commander for stepping up to this. :) At least I can recommend a game now to anyone with a Mac! :roll:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Whatever hapens with AIs and UnitDef I suggest it be done very quickly. Changing Unsigned int to GLuint broke AI binary compatability, and an AI interface version increment is now needed.

(people who download NTai.dll from buildbot be warned, the window has passed it should no longer work with 0.76b1).
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ah I'd forgotten about that commit, good work ^_^
Commander

Post by Commander »

So here it is!

http://fabian.herb-clan.de/Spring-0.76b1+5286.dmg (24 MB)
http://fabian.herb-clan.de/Spring-0.76b ... nomaps.dmg (15 MB)

It is almost untested, but this is what you are here for, right? :wink: Let me know if it works for you.

What you can do with this until now is play a nice skirmish game using the Global AI start script. You need at least one map and one mod to play. Put the files into the maps and mods folders respectively. See the installation instructions on this website for more information. The larger of the two packages includes two maps, so you only have to download a mod.

Make sure to try several mod/bot combinations, since not all work. Some mods don't work at all. I don't know if this is mac related though.

A patch to the source will follow.

And now: have fun!

EDIT: I logged at least 4 Downloads, and no complaints yet ;).
But it seems that no mod is working properly at all. Only one so far doesn't crash Spring, and in that no unit has any weapon. The rest crashes in CS3OParser::LoadPiece(). I never touched that function. Maybe SVN version is broken? I swear I already played some games properly with an earlier SVN version.

Return to “Mac OS X”