Arty Screenshots - Page 2

Arty Screenshots

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Then why not implement it, what else would need changing for the model loading code?
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well, i cant. I dont know the programming language they are using, and i dont have the latest code. I dont have the highrez models and cant really make any. Anyone else is welcome to though.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The latest code can be browsed using webcvs view at sourceforge, they're using C++.

And you dont need high and low res models, just make it so that the low res model is somethign like a peewee and the high res is a pelican then fiddle around till it transforms between the 2 properly. Then just replace both models with high and low res models of the same unit.

Mind you, for extreme zoom out, models that have a single face with an icon texture would be useful.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well perhaps I should refrase the last comment. I do not know C++. I know the syntax and all, but I have absolutley no experience programming it. It would be a little out of my depth trying to figure out all the code needed for something as complex as TA:Spring. That code I posted before was Pseudo code written for PHP. But I will try to learn some C++, as I have it on my computer. Just never got round to it. VB does all that I need for now.

What is WebCvs Veiw? And where abouts is the code on SourceForge?

Also, where can I find a 3D modeler that can make TA units? cause I would be interested in trying to model some units myself.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/springrts/

goto the cvs menu option, and it should explain everything, there's a link to the cvs at the side so you can browse the code in a web browser.

Also, spring may eb complex as a whole, but since when do we look at things in there entirety, find the code that deals with what you want to change, follow its logic, then change it to suit. You may not need udnerstand everything about it, as long as you know what each lines does, nm how ti does it. Although dont take what i say too literally, it matters what move(here); does, but how ti works isnt important if your not changing it.

err if someone else could rephrase all that....
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Nah dont worry I got you. I guess not everyone has my bad programming skills where I put almost everything into one module. That really makes the code huge, even with extra Sub's and Functions everywhere. Guess I can get onto it then.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

If you do do that, take note of gnomes model changes to allow different models to be loaded for different types of maps.

And when it's done, v.low res models, symbol models, and high res models will have to be made. I can guess that several units would share a symbol model based on there type such as bomber/fighter/etc.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Wait... I just thought of something from your post... This means I have to (eventually) go wading through the AGAIN to find how to load models in...

Crap.

This is gonna take me a while.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ok, you need to add tags to the fbi, low hi and medium res models, then you need to make ti load them all, but first you need to figure out which environment we're in (snowy grass etc) see gnomes changes to figure out howto do that.

I'm guessing it'd need a change to whatever structure render belongs to:

Code: Select all

//Calculate Distance between camera and unit
Distance = Camera.Pos - Unit.Pos

if (Distance < HighRez) {
    Render.HighRezModel
} else {
    Render.LowRezModel
} 
Aswell as that code in itself be added.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

OK now youve lost me again. who or what is gnome, how do I find their changes, and where do I go to learn C++ in the first place???(all the internet tutorils Ive found suck). As you can see, im gonna have some touble...

I think it would be ALOT better for someone who actually knew what they were doing to do the coding bit atlest. I found my way around the CVS thing (kinda) but I cannot find the Unit Drawing code. Nor do I want to by the amount of code that seems to be here. Just remeber that I have no idea how any of this works, who anyone is or what anything does. Please explain things slowly so i can keep up :P
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Oh wait, I found the Unit Drawing code (surprisingly it was in the Unit file under Draw). That doesnt mean I understand enough of it to change anything. I can follow most of it, just not all of it. Im guessing I will have have to change the code that is referenced here though:

localmodel->Draw();

And I have no idea how to find that, or even what it is (is that called a pointer? cause Ive heard of them, and that looks pointy).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ok I think that you're best go back to learning C++.

And yes gnome is a person believe it or not, look for anything swta and you'll probably see gnome. His model code is in the Dev forum.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Back to the topic of screenshots, I think these ones almost rival yours, if not in quality, at least in humour value. I fired a nuke at my commander, and this is the result. Some of the pictures are good, some are weird, some are crap, take your pick.

Theres also a picture of a Spider thing (Arm, from the Adv. Vehicle Lab) caught in a rather painfull situation. Some of the code to make it go All-Terain can be abused for some strange results...

http://www.meh.niiil.com/files/Screenshots.zip - 2.75mb, 20 pictures.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

You could always post screenshots downsized, or thumbnails from imageshack, zip files take time and space

Return to “Art & Modelling”