Mac Binary Release - Page 13

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

icd

Post by icd »

ColbyFahrenbacher wrote:I tried opening it from the terminal via

Code: Select all

open /Applications/SpringRTS.app
but it showed no errors.

I ran top in another window and watched it while I tried it again and it showed Spring start and then a crashdump process ran.
You have to run it like this:

Code: Select all

/Applications/SpringRTS.app/Contents/MacOS/SpringRTS
(Might have that slightly wrong, don't have it installed on this computer.)

Using the "open" command is the same as opening from Finder, the standard out / standard error messages are lost.
ColbyFahrenbacher

Post by ColbyFahrenbacher »

Ah, that makes sense. When I tried running it, the response I get in the terminal is "Illegal Instruction." No Spring Icon bouncing in dock either.

I also still have no prefs file. Maybe this is causing my problems?
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

Pref files are created by the program when it runs so if that is your problem you will need someone else's pref file. I can send you a modified version of mine if you want. However I doubt that it will fix the problem but we can try.
elio

Post by elio »

the one that's self created should be fine and safe for all macs...

Progress is slow, fix one problem, then it shows another; slowly getting through everything.
Nightsun33

Post by Nightsun33 »

ColbyFahrenbacher wrote:Ah, that makes sense. When I tried running it, the response I get in the terminal is "Illegal Instruction." No Spring Icon bouncing in dock either.
ColbyFahrenbacher is not the only person with this problem.

I'm a lurker that has come out of the woodwork now.

I'm getting the same deal as Colby.

Powerbook G4 17in 1.33Ghz w/ 1G Ram

Same issue and no pref file being generated.

I'll post my crash log if that will help.
elio

Post by elio »

The release you're using *I think* might be using 64bit numbers sorry. I didn't think there'd be many g4 users because of the low bus bandwidth really kills performance
Nightsun33

Post by Nightsun33 »

I see...

Well I'm looking at upgrading to a Macbook Pro in the short future.

The powerbook has served me quite well, but is killing the 3D programs that I use on it.
Macweenie

Post by Macweenie »

Why would you support Mac Intel chips when they can just run windows natively? I thought this thread was about a PPC version of spring!!! I don't think low bus bandwidth of the PPC chip would hurt performance.
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

I personally like the existence of a Mac Universal version of Spring because this way I can play Spring without having to deal with another operating system. I don't want to switch as Mac OSX is, for me, the easiest to use of the main operating systems out there. I might switch to Linux eventually as I am using it for work and it mostly makes sense though though I am not truly proficient at it yet. I will not run Windows mainly because I don't like Microsoft the company but also because Windows feels bas aacwards to me in the way it has you do stuff. The alternative of using WINE is okay for stuff that is not bleeding edge but Spring does not fall in that category. So I like the Mac Intel version and Elio's work on it. I do agree that a Mac PPC version is more important and the main original subject but it doesn't hurt to have Intel discussion as well.
vraa

Post by vraa »

Macweenie wrote:Why would you support Mac Intel chips when they can just run windows natively? I thought this thread was about a PPC version of spring!!! I don't think low bus bandwidth of the PPC chip would hurt performance.
Running Windows on Apple hardware defies the entire point of buying a Mac OS X - based system. :)
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Macweenie wrote:Why would you support Mac Intel chips when they can just run windows natively? I thought this thread was about a PPC version of spring!!! I don't think low bus bandwidth of the PPC chip would hurt performance.
What a dumb question, mabye some people like osx, idiot question!
Moop

Post by Moop »

I am also getting the same problem. I download the Spring binary, the map, and the mod from page 5. When I click the map/mod to install Spring opens and immediatley quits without generating a prefs file. I tried installing the map and mod into the respective folder in the bundle but that did not change anything =\.

My app
fileuniverse.com/?p=show&a=it&id=4248
My Mod
ipxserver.dyndns.org/games/spring/mods/XTAPE.sd7
My Map
ta-spring.com/maps/Chess_b2.sd7

G4 1.25ghz Emac.
Any help would be appreciated, and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ELIO! Heres a couple bucks to help you on your way.

Edit: I can't find your paypal link. Too tired to search PM me with it ^^
Moop

Post by Moop »

elio wrote:The release you're using *I think* might be using 64bit numbers sorry. I didn't think there'd be many g4 users because of the low bus bandwidth really kills performance
If indeed this is the problem, is there a way to make a build that doesn't use 64bit numbers? Also, I am just learning C++. I used Xcode to do some stuff with BSD sockets. Is there a way I can get the Mac source for learning/example purposes?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Is it possible that at least thigns like fixing the endian-ness of network code be submitted to the svn as a patch?

This mac port relies on 1 person alone who is only here a few days of the year and is fallign hopelessly behind.

Ontop of that, what exactly has changed is not easily accessible. I'm not even sure if its accessible at all.

And the refusal to work with the svn means that the people who finally do use the mac port are forced into a userbase of 4 or 5 people, because they cant play with linux and windows people, precisely because the necessary changes to support mac havent been committed to the svn and have been left out, OR because the linux/windows users are running a later version of spring than is available to the mac users.
elio

Post by elio »

Is it possible that at least thigns like fixing the endian-ness of network code be submitted to the svn as a patch?
Last time I tried it was rejected.. was apparently "unnecessary" at the time.. :|
This mac port relies on 1 person alone who is only here a few days of the year and is fallign hopelessly behind.
Actually, I'm getting up to date, faster than there are changes added; don't make assumptions because they sound good.
And the refusal to work with the svn means that the people who finally do use the mac port are forced into a userbase of 4 or 5 people, because they cant play with linux and windows people, precisely because the necessary changes to support mac havent been committed to the svn and have been left out, OR because the linux/windows users are running a later version of spring than is available to the mac users.
Or rather that there's just some major incompatibilities with how the network code is written. It is that architecturally dependant that there's that big a network sync problem. Even g5s can't sync with g4s without moving to a slower compatibility mode. It is possible to get the network sync fine with intel macs and windows/linux; but ppc macs are what I have and my primary target; intel should "just work" bar a few minor changes to take into account apple's network stack.

RE g4 build: Spring is that heavy on the memory bus that it runs really slow on g4s, even if the cpu's running comfortably, thus focused on making the g5 build run faster, at g4 compatibility's expense. At the time there was little interest in a g4 build but now the interest's there, I'll focus on getting up to date first, then give you a build, and we'll go from there.

the build that's online does infact use 64 bit numbers, and set a requirement for g5 for loading, that's probably why it bounces once or twice then quits.
Why would you support Mac Intel chips when they can just run windows natively? I thought this thread was about a PPC version of spring!!! I don't think low bus bandwidth of the PPC chip would hurt performance.
Why? because apple does have some useful tools to make it easy to port, and it helps catch and explain the loads of endian issues that pop up (if it works on an intel mac, but not ppc, then it's most likely an endian issue at that point. Besides, isn't windows expensive?
It's the low bus bandwidth of the g4; the g5's fine; here it's my graphics card and low integer optimisations that slow spring down; bi directional 1ghz+ buses are useful; g4s even the 1.5ghz ones are still sub 500mhz, so yes, with how spring runs, this is a problem.

Just have some patience people, it's not far from current up to date. There were some rather big changes that I need to step through, so it's taken time, but it's working :)
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

elio, thats when we werent that bothered abotu Mac.

However we're under new management now. SJ was in charge when you first tried right? Jelmer didnt midn krysole workign on a mac branch, if it was jelmer in charge when you tried maybe krysoles branch was why he didnt think it was needed.

Only krysoles branch hasnt been active in a long time. And tobi is the new lead dev.

Ideally Intel macs, linux, and windows should all use the same codebase, and I'd like to see us all aiming towards that. It would certainly save you time, and it would make it easier for people to contribute to your work because its in the svn and they can just hand you patches.
Smilesalot

Post by Smilesalot »

hey elio, im just curious if you wouldnt mind giving me a very, very general release date (i.e. Feb-08) anything like that would be muchly appreciated.
semi

Post by semi »

Our SpringLobby project wants to provide native support for Mac, but neither me nor tc have a mac, so could someone provide a buildslave for our buildbot? This would ensure that SpringLobby is always in a compiling state for a mac, and we could provide automatic snapshot releases for it.

Post in that thread or come to #taspring at Freenode network, if you can help us testing SpringLobby on mac.
Jaho101

Post by Jaho101 »

So I'm on a G5 and I'm trying to get this to work for me, I download the 3 files and try to consolidate them into one, after much work I come up with something that opens up and asks me: what script I want to run ect. and so far it runs most of the time, so keep up the good work. Just think you should make a new release with everything you'd need in it.
elio

Post by elio »

hey elio, im just curious if you wouldnt mind giving me a very, very general release date (i.e. Feb-0 anything like that would be muchly appreciated.
Two weeks, plus or minus a week to early testers; a day or two after that should be ready. :)

Return to “Mac OS X”