thoughts on computer opponent

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

ReneV

Post by ReneV »

I've given the computer opponent some thoughts, and written them down as a sort of functional document...

http://veerman.name/spring.html

plz share your opinions and thoughts on the subject...
adeveloper.clan-sy

Operations and Task Forces

Post by adeveloper.clan-sy »

I don't think you have to get too detailed when building an AI. It is true that the AI must gather information about what the Human Player is doing in order to choose a battle plan.

I think the easiest way to build an AI would be for the AI to organize its battle plan into sets of "Operations" where each operation is essentially a queue of tasks. Each task comprises of 1 or more units comprising a "task force". Each "task force" should be able to call for re-inforcements and guard other members of its Operation, and optionally can be removed from that Operation and re-tasked into another Operation, if the Human Player is able to adapt. Obviously the AI can also perform multiple Operations at the same time which should give any human player a challenge :)

The AI would choose the appropriate Operation, given the dispostion of the Human Player's forces. This should provide a somewhat intelligent strategy.

Here are two Operations I just thought of. Anyone should be possible to create many different Operations just by using your imagination.

A sample operation:

Operation: Quick combined attack against ungarded enemy metal extractors
TaskForce1: 10 Level 1 wheeled fast attack units (can call for re-inforcements if 30% are lost)
Task Force2: 5 bombers (can call for re-inforcemnts if %30 are lost)

Another sample operation:

Operation: Build Guardian near enemy base to harass enemy structures
TaskForce1: 2 Constuctor units
TaskForce2: 10 Fast Attack Units (to guard the constructors)
TaskForce3: 5 Anti-Air units (to guard Task Force 2) (can call for re-inforcements if 30% are lost)
TaskForce4: 5 Heavy Units (to provide security) (can call for re-inforcements if 30% are lost)

Obviously a scripting language would have to be used to create the Operations/TaskForces, but this would really make development/testing of different AIs easy.

Return to “AI”