How do I get animations in Spring?

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

erandur

Post by erandur »

This may be a stupid question, but how the hell am I supposed to get animations in Spring? UpSpring only support obj and 3ds, neither one of those supports animations. I didn't read every single post I found searching the forums, but did I read something about no animations? Or only through animations, but neither one of those options makes sense...

Also, does anyone have a working link to the 3ds max plugin, and does it work with 2010?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: How do I get animations in Spring?

Post by CarRepairer »

At the top of this page, click on Development,
Game Development And Unit Creation, Scripting and Animation - COB/BOS Files.
erandur

Post by erandur »

Mh, that looks even worse than Glest's system, and I quit using Glest for that because their animation system was so terrible...

I suppose that's why most units in Spring are tanks etc.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Try some games before you judge. I recommend Complete Annihilation and The Cursed.
smoth

Post by smoth »

good to know you thoroughly dismissed the engine before you looked at all the options.

luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

By "terrible" he probably means "difficult and time consuming for someone who is new to it."
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Shame on you people, the poor lua animation API is still being ignored in favor of bos/cob

Models have named pieces and points.

Bos is a scripting language with commands for rotating and moving these pieces at varying speeds.

A lua version was built by Tobi which is generally superior. Use lua instead of bos where possible.
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

AF wrote:Shame on you people, the poor lua animation API is still being ignored in favor of bos/cob

Bos is a scripting language with commands for rotating and moving these pieces at varying speeds.

A lua version was built by Tobi which is generally superior. Use lua instead of bos where possible.
I will take a look at it! just need good examples and a lot of help :)
erandur

Post by erandur »

The engine looks good of course, but this isn't exactly.. the best animation system ever. ;)

Just wondering, what's wrong with the usual skeleton based animation system?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Nothing (for organics at least, although SA systems have their own limitations), it just isn't implemented.
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:Shame on you people, the poor lua animation API is still being ignored in favor of bos/cob

last I talked to tobi he told me lua unit scripts were heavily volitile and I didn't want to convert all of gundam only to have it break next spring release.

The developers have a history of making massive changes to lua and I don't want to chance the stability of my project.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Basically, the person who takes that chance is the content developer who will have the massive first influence on the direction the lua animation API takes, gaining a huge advantage in the process and stabilizing the API on their preferred implementation, not someone elses.

Thus, we are not getting a smoth inspired lua API, we are getting one that is being defined by the smaller projects on the fringe that are taking the steps forward.
smoth

Post by smoth »

because I don't care who's api it is. I am fine with it being YANS for all I care. I will just use it when it is ready. I have other things that need doing rather than trying to get my name on something.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

The Lua UnitScript API is probably pretty concrete now.
erandur

Post by erandur »

Well, I guess I finally have a challenge for someone who offered to do some scripting for me then. :)

BTW, doesn't anybody have a working link to the Max plugin?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

FLOZi wrote:The Lua UnitScript API is probably pretty concrete now.
Confirmed. All the units in my game are using lua scripts, as are those by maackey in his game. Haven't had a single problem with it yet. I have done some really fun things with it as well.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

But there is still no point in wasting weeks converting all the BOS of Gundam to Lua when they work fine as they are.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

zwzsg wrote:But there is still no point in wasting weeks converting all the BOS of Gundam to Lua when they work fine as they are.
True, the main reason new mods use lua and old mods don't convert surely has to be that while lua makes certain things much easier, if those things were part of the design of established games/mods (for example S44's ammo system), then the game/mod designers will have found a way around them using traditional gadgets anyway, so changing formats offers limited benefits for considerable work.

But as Car pointed out, you can do some really neat stuff with LUS. :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

zwzsg wrote:But there is still no point in wasting weeks converting all the BOS of Gundam to Lua when they work fine as they are.
bos cannot do what lua can do.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

smoth wrote:
bos cannot do what lua can do.
but it does not make sense to convert them 1:1, lua can even be slower than bos. If you switch to lua, then you should do it the right way (writting a class system, share code between unittypes, ...).

Return to “Art & Modelling”