UpSpring Replacement Wishlist - Page 3

UpSpring Replacement Wishlist

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Re: UpSpring Replacement Wishlist

Post by smoth »

does this mean the upspring source is going to become part of the spring git?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

jcnossen wrote:It should also be a lot easier to port to linux
it is already fully ported to linux, people seem to have a hard time finding it though ;)
jcnossen wrote:Is there anyone who wants to help once I got the basics running?
I only really want to make a subset of the upspring functionality (basic model manipulation and S3O import/export, maybe 3DO), and could use some help writing file importers or other stuff...
One of the things I'd planned to do in my branch was Argh's first wishlist item, but that isn't really "subset" functionality. Maybe a native Wings3D importer could be nice too...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

iirc the wings3d model format is more of a binary dump of the internal erlang representation. As such a wings3d importer is nontrivial.
Argh

Post by Argh »

:roll:

AF, ask Trepan, since he apparently worked a lot on Wings at one point (which would have been helpful to know when he was active here, and might have changed a few things, I didn't know to what extent he was playing Gandalf, because I don't spy on our coder's work outside this place, I figure if they want to make it my business, they know where to find me <shrugs> but whatever, what's past is past). If he doesn't tell you to just go to hell, he might be really, really helpful, even if he's just feeding you minor tidbits.
Last edited by Argh on 01 Dec 2009, 21:00, edited 5 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Kloot wrote:One of the things I'd planned to do in my branch was Argh's first wishlist item, but that isn't really "subset" functionality. Maybe a native Wings3D importer could be nice too...
I would <3 this.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yup, that would be great and useful, all by itself.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

One important thing we'd want to implement is some form of API for extensibility, so that we can easily write in support for assorted different things.

Also, a .blend importer wouldn't hurt. ;)
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

One important thing we'd want to implement is some form of API for extensibility, so that we can easily write in support for assorted different things.
Yeah, I'm looking at Mono.Addins for this kind of thing.

Return to “Art & Modelling”