.:New Official Evolution RTS Map Release:. Riverdale Remake

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'm sure most of you are wondering "ok what's the point? We know what riverdale is!".

But on the other hand... Do you?

Map design by Secure, Layout and texture by me, feature layout by me and willk. This is the first in a series of official Evolution RTS map releases.

*Please note, this map will only work with Evolution RTS or any other game with Feature Placer built in (so at this point, Evolution RTS and Gundam RTS)* The latest test revision of Evolution RTS can be obtained via Spring Downloader. You will need no earlier than Revision 381

Download: http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2584
1v0ry_k1ng

Re: .:New Official Evolution RTS Map Release:. Riverdale Remake

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

why not just place the features normally so it works with all mods?

looks nice though
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

i hate bloom
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:why not just place the features normally so it works with all mods?
You've obviously never used spring's primitive feature placement which involves a bunch of red dots on an image and a large text file. This map has 5500+ features on it.

Why on earth would you even suggest a thing like that?

As a side note, Evolution now has a feature placement mode available if you start it though SL or TASC. With this mode you can place or remove features on a whim.
satirik wrote:i hate bloom
Cry me a river.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Satirik wrote:i hate bloom
Aha so thats why you hated my tasclient logo!
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Awesome looking map. A shame I can't spew the fuglyness of BA all over it :cry:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

If BA implements featureplacer, you can.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

BA? Implementation? I think not :P
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Why not just include feature placer in the map like gunmetal harbour and your previous maps? :|
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Because you would prefer not to download a 100 mb map.

Seeings as how we can't have subdirectories in unittextures (so we can separate out textures by feature maker), and maps can't call dependencies to archives of textures and models (I spent weeks working on that problem).

This is the way it is. If you want to play on it you could always implement featureplacer into your game. If you do you'll be happy that you did.

Additionally, using featureplacer outside of a mod (because you have to use something to lay the features in the first place, is comparatively a massive pain in the ass).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Also, you aren't fully grasping the coolness here...

Me and willk laid the features for this map simultaneously, in multiplayer.

You could theoretically have 16 people working on laying features in a single map if you wanted to.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

It's about time maps had some depth. Features like buildings and towers of different variety really give a map more atmosphere. Would be nice to see more done with features. For example, making things like bridges that units can go over and underneath.
knorke

Post by knorke »

wouldnt it be possible/good to make some map_features.sdz and all maps can link to it just like there is otacontent.sdz?
so its one big download one time but then the maps are smaller.
---
oooh civilized life & industry have reached riverdale. poor hobbits!
havent tried yet but looks interessting.
only the old TA metal spots seem a little out of place.
Gota

Post by Gota »

5k features?
What FPS do you get on this map?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Great work on the features. I still want you to try and tweak the bump param on the blenders and on the distribution noise parameters in carrara. Set them to something really low, like 0.05 ft.

Also, I added a small feature to mapconv: it can parse the dumpfeature luas (the stuff you use to specify features in the feature placer) and compile it into the map, just as if it were a featuremap :)

Btw, I really want to talk to you in chat or on TS, do you frequent either?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

knorke wrote:wouldnt it be possible/good to make some map_features.sdz and all maps can link to it just like there is otacontent.sdz?
Maps don't link to otacontent.sdz, mods do, therefore, the content is available to the maps.
knorke wrote:oooh civilized life & industry have reached riverdale. poor hobbits!
havent tried yet but looks interessting.
only the old TA metal spots seem a little out of place.
Ehh, well evo uses mex spots. I kinda get what you mean. I suppose I could have compiled it without them visible and use my metal patch feature to mark them (looks really neat cause it's shiny :-)), but I decided that the original patches looked good enough.
Gota wrote:5k features?
What FPS do you get on this map?
120. I have a 9600gt.
Beherith wrote:Great work on the features. I still want you to try and tweak the bump param on the blenders and on the distribution noise parameters in carrara. Set them to something really low, like 0.05 ft.
I didn't regenerate the texture from when I originally made it, I only added a road and river/pond beds. I've tried messing with the bump settings and didn't really get a wonderful result. I'm prolly doin it rong tho.
Beherith wrote:Also, I added a small feature to mapconv: it can parse the dumpfeature luas (the stuff you use to specify features in the feature placer) and compile it into the map, just as if it were a featuremap :)
Thing is, that still would leave me with the burden of deleting the unused unittextures, which, I can tell you right now, ain't gonna happen.
Beherith wrote:Btw, I really want to talk to you in chat or on TS, do you frequent either?
I'm in the lobby most of the time lately, and I spend a decent amount of time in the public TS that I run (ts3) with smoth and AF and occasionally chapparral and overkill.

You could /j #evolution (easier to find me out of the clutter of odd names) and message me there to get on TS (that's usually how all of us end up in the same place anyway).

In case you don't remember, ts3 details are as follows:
hostname: forbodingangel.no-ip.info
password: !@#$%^&*()

Ok, time for a sidenote. I'm starting to see what smoth talks about regarding the sense of entitlement here among the *A crowd. No worries tho, I won't bother raeging about it :-) I don't have a problem with saying the word no multiple times.

If you want your favorite mods to be able to run it, have those mods implement featureplacer. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain from it. While this map is "Official EvoRTS stuff", we (particularly me) aren't keeping it from anyone, but the simple fact is that I put a lot of time into it, and me and willk spent the better part of the night creating a beautiful scene. If other games/mods want to use it, they'll have to do a little work to be able to. If those games/mods devs aren't proactive enough to improve their product, well, tough shit.

Smoth mentioned something the other night that struck me (keep in mind that he was saying this in relation to PURE and argh), because I had never thought about it. What he mentioned was the fact that me him and various others (s44) regularly help each other and share code/information/techniques with one another. None of us are competing with each other, and the wheels of information get regularly greased. Now, I myself think that I probably receive more help than I am able to give out, not for lack of want to, but just lack of any skills in lua (tho thanks to smoth's beautiful lua code I'm getting to where I can read it a lot better).

I notice a distinct lack of freedom of information elsewhere in the community, even about the *A mods. You would think that you guys would work together to improve all of your mods, but for whatever reason, it doesn't happen all that often, and when it does it pales in contrast.

I'm not making a statement here, just musing.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Forboding Angel wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:why not just place the features normally so it works with all mods?
You've obviously never used spring's primitive feature placement which involves a bunch of red dots on an image and a large text file. This map has 5500+ features on it.

Why on earth would you even suggest a thing like that?

As a side note, Evolution now has a feature placement mode available if you start it though SL or TASC. With this mode you can place or remove features on a whim.
satirik wrote:i hate bloom
Cry me a river.
springmapeditor allows you to place features in a manner similar to age of empires, then export the resulting featuremap. this seems prefferable in every possible way?
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

knorke wrote:oooh civilized life & industry have reached riverdale. poor hobbits!
WRONG! Hobbits live in the Shire. Archie and Jughead live in Riverdale.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@ Forboding Angel

I think you're misunderstanding the situation. BA isn't communicating with you guys because BA doesn't have a developer. TheFat is a wonderful steward, but he has no interest in putting the kind of work into BA that you fellows put into other mods.

And can you really say that CA doesn't join the conversation?

Either way, most of the *A mods are currently being developed by gamers who are interested in playing more than designing. They came out of a need to *fix* XTA/BA/Whatever, not a need to see their creative vision in-game. As such, they're less interested in development for its own sake. So it shouldn't be surprising that they don't really join the conversation.

@Ivory,

Yeah, I have to agree - if this system is really just being used to place features (and not active units like Argh's WorldBuilder) then wouldn't it make more sense for the final product to be exported into a spring-standard package system instead of requiring the client to have a special dependancy?

I mean obviously if you're expressingi something that _can't_ be expressed using the featuremap, it would make perfect sense to use such a package... but if it can, why isn't the system exporting a featuremap and resource files?

Either way, on the subject of the map itself:

F*cking epic.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Pxtl wrote: Yeah, I have to agree - if this system is really just being used to place features (and not active units like Argh's WorldBuilder) then wouldn't it make more sense for the final product to be exported into a spring-standard package system instead of requiring the client to have a special dependancy?

I mean obviously if you're expressingi something that _can't_ be expressed using the featuremap, it would make perfect sense to use such a package... but if it can, why isn't the system exporting a featuremap and resource files?

Either way, on the subject of the map itself:

F*cking epic.
It seems to have gone under the radar, that the feature placement data made by smoth's featureplacer is DIRECTLY COMPILABLE BY MAPCONV! Just use the -k 'dumpedunitsandfeatures.txt' command! So there is no need to add lua to your map if you only want nice placement.

Return to “Map Releases”