Islands in war(reuploaded).

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

What has the spring community thought of the map?

http://spring.unknown-files.net/file/32 ... n_War_1.0/

somehow the file was damaged or something so I had to re upload it.
Last edited by smoth on 26 Jul 2007, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
genblood

Post by genblood »

The custom features really make the map shine. The map looks great
and the overlay is good. The game play is different , due to it's more
of a Spring naval map con paired too a standard Spring land map.

Over all ... it's a very nice map ...

In my book it's two thumbs up .... 8)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The resources of the features are, as I warned you in testing with CA, a little high for a number of games on the engine. However, on the whole, it plays great. NOTA 1v1 matches, etcetera...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Haven't really playtested it yet, but it looks like epic, shineh winrar.
Tim Blokdijk

Re: Islands in war.

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

smoth wrote:What has the spring community thought of the map?
Do you have a separate download for a Linux user like myself. :?:
genblood

Post by genblood »

Here is a link to get the map if you use the linux version ...

http://spring.unknown-files.net/file/32 ... ds_In_War/
FoeOfTheBee

Post by FoeOfTheBee »

I think it played pretty well. It needs a mod with good sea balance. The rig in the center looks very nice. The ocean tiles seem to repeat a bit too often when zoomed out. It has the carpet like texture when zoomed in close.

Overall, very nice map.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

Thanks I see Tobi is the up loader, I could not find it with smoths uploads.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I corrected the ownership, Also, as a note, the entire thing is gpl, the same license as spring. So the features are there for you to use. I do not care if you include the gpl crap when you use the features. So you do not have to do that. ANYWAY, use what you need out of this map.

glad to hear that you gents feel it was a nice map.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

this map is WAYYY to dark. I didnt realise there was sea above the islands, because it was almost black
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:this map is WAYYY to dark. I didnt realise there was sea above the islands, because it was almost black
I think its because of the skybox and reflective water, you can't really see where the map ends :(

Also imo the metalspots should have textures.

plz note i only tested the map briefly.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

pff its not too dark

NOiZE wrote: Also imo the metalspots should have textures.
this is the only thing I'd suggest

strange that smoth would do all those nice custom features but not do metal spots :shock:

worldmachine is an unbelievably awesome tool, i think only smoth and i use it
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

smoth wrote:I corrected the ownership, Also, as a note, the entire thing is gpl, the same license as spring. So the features are there for you to use. I do not care if you include the gpl crap when you use the features. So you do not have to do that. ANYWAY, use what you need out of this map.

glad to hear that you gents feel it was a nice map.
GPL as in that you also provide the source files? (the GIMP, PhotoShop, Blender, Wings files?)
As now it sounds more like you provide the end result as Public Domain.
smoth

Post by smoth »

:shock: did you read the description of the file?

yeah, the .wings, .psd etc are all available but I require that people request it. The files are HUGE so I have them uploaded to my personal space rather then upload them onto uf. So, yeah all the source files are available including my photoshop patterns. This is part of gpl and files have been uploaded since I completed the map months ago :P unfortunately, I am unable to view the files to tell you the exact date from where I am but yeah, the source files are HUGE LIKE XBOX so if you want them yeah I can supply. However it is a huge download.

hunter, I have no idea, I LOVE worldmachine but so few people really appreciate the procedural control it gives the end user. I still think forbs l3dt textures are teh fine though as worldmachine is shite for a texture.

*edits if you guys need metal spots I can add them. Bear in mind that I will have to do it later as it will require repacking the entire source again, uploading that and reuploading the map. If the metal spots are what you gents need, I can do that in about a week.

Also, IronKing, if it is too dark, I suspect your monitor needs to be adjusted or you are playing in a super bright room. Niether situation I can rectify. I played the map on all the lab machines on campus and it was bright enough.

I thought the sea going on forever looked nice, did you guys dislike it?
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

yea no kidding

i like l3dt because it can use normal mapped repeating textures, but i don't like that it doesn't blend them together

i like terragen because it does blend together different textures, but it can only use its own rather simplistic textures (basically, pick a color and pick how bumpy it is)

so in conclusion, i want to know what made the texture for this
http://www.world-machine.com/user_gallery/eoin1.jpg
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

smoth wrote::shock: did you read the description of the file?
Ehhh, right :oops: sorry.

Still, yes I do like to know what files are involved to make your map tick.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The starting positions havent enough free space, I should be able to build 4 interlocking solar collectors around a mex without reclaiming trees or running into cliffs and terrain obstacles.

Numerous mex spots and geothermals are obscured by trees

The mex radius is far too low, I need to be able to place my mex down without needing to reclaim it before I upgrade to tier 2.

I cant move a construction kbot from the main land to the nearby island with the geothermal. This is annoying as their is no indication that this is the case because the texture shows a pale blue shallow area I can walk over partially, there's no transition area visible where the kbots cant walk (XTA 9)

I can quickly see land area becoming sparse on this map, especially in a 2v2.

To get more mex spots I have to walk my commander all the way to the other end of the island or go into the sea. This is hardly ideal for a map bundled with spring.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Oh noez! A map that requires you to go air and sea! GASP!
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

I took a look at it and I was absolutely amazed at the quality of it all. It has this "what's the story behind this" to it.

And I wrote down some feedback to:
The pile of pipes has a lot of energy in it maybe you should limit it to metal.
The fuel rig is totally symmetrical, it might look good to have some pipes go into asymmetrical directions here and there.
The trees have "tree" as its name lacking a capital letter like the other features.
The right island has a tree in the water at the top.
And I would like to see something happening with the ocean at the top and bottom, some more features like pipes, plants and vegetation or an oil slick? and maybe something like underwater geo spots? And some changes in the ocean floor like with the shallow water at the islands would give it something extra to I think.
And if you make visible metal spots like suggested by others then I would like to see something that matches the style of the features not just a metal scar in the ground. I know it's the TA thing but it's a bit cheap to do imho.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

We don't have any method to make reclaiming take longer other than adding energy in addition to the metal.

Return to “Map Releases”