Absolute Annihilation 2.23 - Page 6

Absolute Annihilation 2.23

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Post Reply
Egarwaen
Posts: 1207
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 21:19

Post by Egarwaen »

10053r wrote:You keep making a good mod, and we'll keep playing it. When something better comes along, we'll play that instead.
Thank you for summing up my 5 paragraph post in a single sentence. ;)
0 x

User avatar
quantum
Posts: 590
Joined: 19 Sep 2006, 22:48

Post by quantum »

Nobody is forced to play AA. We do so because we believe that it's the best mod out there. A small but vocal clique may try to undermine you for being successful, or because they resent the tastes of the majority, but most of us appreciate your work and show so by making AA the most played mod by far. You are certainly not causing grief to anyone, except to those who trick themselves into believing that you are to blame for their unpopularity. Stay :D
0 x

User avatar
BigSteve
Posts: 911
Joined: 25 Sep 2005, 12:56

Post by BigSteve »

As mentioned Caydr aa for many people is their fav mod, Ive tried others more than a few times but I keep coming back to aa for reasons also mentioned in previous posts.
Dont stop modding aa because a tiny percentage of the community bitch at you like spoiled little children because of the popularity of your mod.
Its jelousy plain and simple, anyone with a modicum of common sense can see this, driving you from the community is their goal, dont let them achieve it.
Currently XTA is experiencing a bit of a renaissance, at the moment 1/3 of games in the lobby are xta.
I think nano blobs is gonna really gain popualrity with arghs new version and being packaged in the commuity pack wont hurt.

Youve done everything you can to bring other mods into the fold for which you should be commended not shot down in flames.

Anyway thanks for the effort youve put in, and ignore the bitching about the mod pack, for most people its an extra 20 - 30 minutes on their download time. Big deal, its not like youre making them pay for it.
Spring is free, devs mappers and modders do this work for FREE, spending their own spare time to make stuff for us to play, some people forget that sometimes I think.
Last edited by BigSteve on 05 Oct 2006, 21:58, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

espylaub
Posts: 205
Joined: 01 May 2006, 11:35

Post by espylaub »

The thing about Spring players vs AA players is very insightful. I'm here because I loved TA back then. I tried Nanoblobs and some other mods despite not being terribly interested in them, but they just don't hold my attention like AA does. I'm not saying they're bad, they're just not what I want to play.

It's not your fault most people play AA, that's what they came for. You aren't creating that demand, that demand is already there. Yes, to some extent, AA's success perpetuates itself because that's where most of the open games are, but most people play AA exclusively because that's what they were looking for. TA hooked me nine years ago and I've missed a game like it since. So I play AA.
0 x

User avatar
Foxomaniac
Posts: 691
Joined: 18 Jan 2006, 16:59

Post by Foxomaniac »

Caydr wrote: *snip*
Caydr saying modpack is a failure
*snip
I disagree, I love nanoblobs but the problem with it was finding players to play with - today, this wasn't the problem.

The room filled quite nicely and people were open-minded to try nanoblobs.

It was an overall refereshing experience as well as a fun chat session.

The human factor is what makes spring fun.
0 x

submarine
AI Developer
Posts: 804
Joined: 31 Jan 2005, 20:04

Post by submarine »

will there be any possibility to download AA 2.2 witrhout all the other stuff?

i really dislike these packages. i think im old enough to decide whioch mods to download and which not, i dont like stupid packages wasting a lot of bandwith (and which contain files i already have)
0 x

User avatar
MR.D
Posts: 1527
Joined: 06 Aug 2005, 13:15

Post by MR.D »

Don't pulla Kurt Cobain on this one Caydr, you got something good going, so ride with it, don't just throw it away because its getting "too popular".

There is a reason that Spring is alive and kicking as well as it is, AA and your dedication to bring the players a mod that they actually enjoy and want to play is it.

If anything AA has been, for many including myself, the best OTA based mod to date, and has consistently been good every release because you listen to the community.
0 x

Andreask
Posts: 282
Joined: 16 Dec 2005, 21:08

Post by Andreask »

Dont leave just now Caydr, the core commando bot needs fixing really bad.
0 x

User avatar
iamacup
Posts: 987
Joined: 26 Jun 2006, 20:43

Post by iamacup »

Andreask wrote:Dont leave just now Caydr, the core commando bot needs fixing really bad.
http://www.unknown-files.net/index.php? ... &dlid=1780
0 x

User avatar
Caydr
Omnidouche
Posts: 7179
Joined: 16 Oct 2004, 19:40

Post by Caydr »

Said earlier, modpack at least in its current state is hated by all, so I'm not going to bother trying to enforce it anymore.

Absolute Annihilation 2.2 (non modpack) is available here: http://aaspring.tk
0 x

Egarwaen
Posts: 1207
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 21:19

Post by Egarwaen »

Caydr wrote:Said earlier, modpack at least in its current state is hated by all, so I'm not going to bother trying to enforce it anymore.
Because there's 40 megs of maps with it. If it were just the 30 megs of mods, that'd be fine.
0 x

el_matarife
Posts: 933
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 02:04

Post by el_matarife »

Do Urchin torpedo launchers have sonar? I played a Shore 2 Shore game last night to mess around with the naval balance and discovered they didn't seem to shoot at my subs. I had T1 subs parked right next to them killing a lot and they didn't fire back unless there was a sonar or sonar plane around.
0 x

User avatar
Machiosabre
Posts: 1474
Joined: 25 Dec 2005, 22:56

Post by Machiosabre »

Forboding Angel wrote:Actually, no one hates you because of the popularity of your mod. What people hate is your crappy attitude. Lose the attitude and you gain many friends.
don't listen to mr. friendly here.
Man this is the most hypocritical post since sliced bread.
0 x

jellyman
Posts: 265
Joined: 13 Nov 2005, 07:36

Post by jellyman »

I suspect the player base is just too small to suppport multiple mods. If the overall player base grows, there may be more chance of allowing other mods to have a chance. The player base will grow if we retain existing players, and attract new ones. Part of that will be ensuring that AA is as fun as possible to play for both the experts and the noobs.
0 x

User avatar
jackalope
Posts: 694
Joined: 18 Jun 2006, 22:43

Post by jackalope »

Hellspawn wrote:I have test many mods, yet I still find AA the best. I guess I sorta like XTA and EE aswell (and I can't wait for lego one ^^), but only AA hooked me kinda. I guess I like its gamepalying style and good number of units.
QFT.

I have also tried many different mods. I think EE has a lot of promise and when it's finished I'll probably play it a lot. But at the moment, AA feels much more finished to me.
0 x

User avatar
Deathblane
Posts: 505
Joined: 01 Feb 2006, 01:22

Post by Deathblane »

Given all the reasons why only AA is played (foremost of which are lack of numbers and that most of us are OTAers), the modpack has been a great success. I hosted and played a game of 1942 in about 5 minutes!!, today I've also played EE, nanoblobs and had a game of War Evo.

Now I'm open to playing new mods, so I'm prepared to download a mod form the website, but having the mods already there was just that bit more convenient, especially as unlike not having a map you can't sit in a game talking while you download the mod.

Personally I'd lose the maps form the modpack and replace them with more mods, but otherwise I really think it's working.
0 x

User avatar
hunterw
Posts: 1838
Joined: 14 May 2006, 12:22

Post by hunterw »

please bring back my bertha ships.

let people hosting the games decide what units to remove! that provides more flexibility.
0 x

User avatar
FireCrack
Posts: 676
Joined: 19 Jul 2005, 09:33

Post by FireCrack »

Cadyr,

Continueing development on AA will not stifle other mods, the realitly is that the only thing that can "equalise" the tpes of mods played is time. AA enjoyed much early sucess becasue when it was created there was little choice in mods. The only other mod that could be considered "complete" at that time was XTA. Early success catapulted AA to be the dominant mod in spring but time will even that out. Over the past few months there has been a massive increase in other mods played.


Juse keep on developing AA in the ways you used to and let time do it's work...
0 x

User avatar
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer
Posts: 14618
Joined: 17 Nov 2005, 02:43

Post by Forboding Angel »

FireCrack wrote:Cadyr,

Continueing development on AA will not stifle other mods, the realitly is that the only thing that can "equalise" the tpes of mods played is time. AA enjoyed much early sucess becasue when it was created there was little choice in mods. The only other mod that could be considered "complete" at that time was XTA. Early success catapulted AA to be the dominant mod in spring but time will even that out. Over the past few months there has been a massive increase in other mods played.


Juse keep on developing AA in the ways you used to and let time do it's work...
Agreed. Very well said firecrack.
0 x

User avatar
Soulless1
Posts: 444
Joined: 07 Mar 2006, 03:29

Post by Soulless1 »

FRIGGINHUGEEDITOFDEWM :roll::
Cadyr: As many people have said you've made a great mod and that's why lots of people play it. That, and the fact that it's very close to OTA means that essentially you've given many of us the TA we always wanted.
Still, its not like modding is the most important thing going on in life, so if you want to take time off, go for it - but don't beat yourself up over having worked hard to make us players happy (and succeeded!) - that is what you set out to do in the first place, right? :-)

At this point I'd imagine people are lining up the 'fanboy' flames but I'm not some muppet who thinks the almighty Cadyr can do no wrong :P
I think it was probably a bad idea to bundle all those maps into the modpack and I definately think it's silly to try and sabotage your mod to make people play other things - but the community pack itself is a good idea so if you really want to help other modders, why not recompile it without the maps (and maybe Argh could supply a fixed NB?) and get someone to link it in the lobby welcome message or something? Keep the separate AA link in this thread for people who just want that; no point winding people up...

...and then relax in the knowledge that you've done all you can to help out both other modders and the players, and leave it at that. Heck, you could even go start some games of E&E just for fun 8)

PS. wow, I got bossy lol...uh, preface all of that with 'just a humble suggestion' :P
Last edited by Soulless1 on 06 Oct 2006, 00:03, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Post Reply

Return to “Game Releases”