disallow renames in lobby for normal users? - Page 5

disallow renames in lobby for normal users?

For the discussion of infrastructure improvements and changes.

Moderator: Moderators

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: disallow renames in lobby for normal users?

Post by hoijui »

i agree with bibm.
50 users want to rename each month. it is very, very unlikely that none of them will want to rename anymore with the new system. to rename, they will have to create a new account, which means a bit more work for them, so lets say, only half of them will do it, but all the 50 users will be angry at the devs, and some percentage of them will start mocking around (also in the forum), complaining about the change, and rightfully so, i think.
there is really no point in trying this in practice, to find out if it will really happen. it will happen, and of course, eventually, the mocking up will stop, but you will have solved nothing. eventually, you will just have made the original idea of the IDs unfeasible.
there is a simpsons episode about alcohol abolition (and it happened in real life too), though with alcohol, it makes much more sense.. it still is not gonna work like that.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Don't forget that there is a legitimate use for renaming as well. All those renames alone would be alot of work for admins to approve (if that would be the solution).
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

from table renames:

Code: Select all

original 	new
<somenick>	Trash16
<somenick>	Trash17
<somenick>	Trash19
<somenick>	Trash20
<somenick>	Trash21
<somenick>	Trash22
<somenick>	Trash23
thats exactly what allowing renames should prevent? :-|

(no, this wasn't me)
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

what is the problem with that?

.. or was it... a bunch of arabic looking guys with beards? :o
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

it seems very popular for (some) users to rename & create new accounts.
albator

Post by albator »

As a player who rename A LOT, maybe I can tell you why
abma wrote:bibim wrote:
if you prevent players from renaming, they will create new accounts for these new names instead.

this point wasn't clear for me. i thought/think players won't do that as they would loose all their stats. trolls wouldn't care at all.
I would definitely do that if it can override smurf and SLDB detection so I can play free win while being count as new player. Plus I would create a new account every few game so I can keep it going on forever. You got it ? Pretty easy: what player care about (e.g. losing stats) is person dependent, not universal.

Above rename being fun, other reason for renaming is because we are a small community where everyone know each other, so I am bored to have game like: "hey that is alba, let combomb him" or in ffa "alba gonna win, let bang him". So I rename all the time ofc... sometimes, about every single ffa games... plus it is really fun to have funny names :D

That problem would not exist in larger community, but that some of the reason why player rename.
Also, balancing games using SLDB has been the best things that happens on the lobby side from my point of view so I do not see any reason to wipe this out.
NeonStorm

Post by NeonStorm »

I like what you wrote Albador
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i guess i just should automaticly rename every time on login.
Above rename being fun, other reason for renaming is because we are a small community where everyone know each other, so I am bored to have game like: "hey that is alba, let combomb him" or in ffa "alba gonna win, let bang him". So I rename all the time ofc... sometimes, about every single ffa games... plus it is really fun to have funny names :D
exactly this is why renames should be disallowed. combombing isn't allowed, if someone does he hopefully gets kicked/banned from server.

a user who gets combombet atm hasn't a real chance to get not combombed next game by the same user because renames are allowed.

for a troll renaming is good, because:
- renamed users bypasses lobby ignore list and "personal" ignore lists
- rank is kept
- less work than creating a new account

for a "good" user renaming is good:
- renaming is fun
- they "have to"
- some "anonymity"
- ...?
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

albator wrote: Above rename being fun, other reason for renaming is because we are a small community where everyone know each other, so I am bored to have game like: "hey that is alba, let combomb him" or in ffa "alba gonna win, let bang him". So I rename all the time ofc... sometimes, about every single ffa games... plus it is really fun to have funny names :D
Yeah exactly. Its of course an important part of the game to agree on the biggest threat and act accordingly. Nice example why renaming gives an unfair advantage and is therefore considered as trolling/cheating by many people.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

yes! imo renames are mostly used to kid/fool other people. services use userids, people remember names.
gajop

Post by gajop »

abma wrote:yes! imo renames are mostly used to kid/fool other people. services use userids, people remember names.
Well, if you really want to prevent fooling around, lobbies should allow me to put a nick for a person (e.g. I'd put a nick for picasso), and have that nick depend on the userids instead.
Let people have the liberty to rename themselves if they want to...
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

gajop wrote:Well, if you really want to prevent fooling around, lobbies should allow me to put a nick for a person (e.g. I'd put a nick for picasso), and have that nick depend on the userids instead.
Let people have the liberty to rename themselves if they want to...
this would make renames useless as already written some posts ago. :-|
it would only require to add some crappy code to track usernames in lobby.
albator

Post by albator »

very_bad_soldier wrote:
albator wrote: Above rename being fun, other reason for renaming is because we are a small community where everyone know each other, so I am bored to have game like: "hey that is alba, let combomb him" or in ffa "alba gonna win, let bang him". So I rename all the time ofc... sometimes, about every single ffa games... plus it is really fun to have funny names :D
Yeah exactly. Its of course an important part of the game to agree on the biggest threat and act accordingly. Nice example why renaming gives an unfair advantage and is therefore considered as trolling/cheating by many people.
Completely agree, but that should make you realize something else: other player that can win ffa do the same which makes most of the players behave as if we truly were a larger community, i.e you base your actions on what players do by scouting and not taking inconsiderate risks just because you think "I will be free-win once I killed one player." (e.g. I always know gasmask is one of the player hidden among the ffa player but cannot tell which one cause I just dont care anymore to check all the ids on dansan website (I use liuux) ...)
So at the end I think it pushes the player to act more reasonably instead of wineing: "you won cause you hide your name" (and I am not referring to you vbs, no offense :p ). No, player win cause they play normally instead of taking random choice based on what was flamed on chat. Renaming forces some of player base to grow up :D
abma wrote: i guess i just should automaticly rename every time on login.
Go ahead, noone cares anyway ;)

Edit:
Point is:
- 1) rename with current player base is somthing that players wants
- 2) because it can be done and it is fun, it is done
- 3) mainly because of 1), preventing rename will result in new account creation
- 4) because if 3) happens SLDB may fail, so it does not worse preventing rename
gajop

Post by gajop »

abma wrote: this would make renames useless as already written some posts ago. :-|
it would only require to add some crappy code to track usernames in lobby.
I don't think so. Renames aren't considered useless on other lobbies/IMs (e.g. steam & skype), and you have the option to choose a nick for somebody.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

albator wrote:
very_bad_soldier wrote:
Completely agree, but that should make you realize something else: other player that can win ffa do the same which makes most of the players behave as if we truly were a larger community, i.e you base your actions on what players do by scouting and not taking inconsiderate risks just because you think "I will be free-win once I killed one player." (e.g. I always know gasmask is one of the player hidden among the ffa player but cannot tell which one cause I just dont care anymore to check all the ids on dansan website (I use liuux) ...)
So at the end I think it pushes the player to act more reasonably instead of wineing: "you won cause you hide your name" (and I am not referring to you vbs, no offense :p ). No, player win cause they play normally instead of taking random choice based on what was flamed on chat. Renaming forces some of player base to grow up :D
abma wrote: i guess i just should automaticly rename every time on login.
Go ahead, noone cares anyway ;)

Edit:
Point is:
- 1) rename with current player base is somthing that players wants
- 2) because it can be done and it is fun, it is done
- 3) mainly because of 1), preventing rename will result in new account creation
- 4) because if 3) happens SLDB may fail, so it does not worse preventing rename
Maybe FFA just needs a anonymity mod option; all player names are anonymised at game start and all colours hustled.
NeonStorm

Post by NeonStorm »

Maybe FFA just needs a anonymity mod option; all player names are anonymised at game start and all colours hustled.
+1

We could just add a secondary-nick-name field to user data (which you can rename 10000 times if you like to).
And servers could choose which option they want.
Evangelion

Post by Evangelion »

EDIT: I didn't notice the date, this subforum moves slow it seems. Unintentional necro and post deletion is for some reason disallowed.
abma wrote:exactly this is why renames should be disallowed. combombing isn't allowed, if someone does he hopefully gets kicked/banned from server.

a user who gets combombet atm hasn't a real chance to get not combombed next game by the same user because renames are allowed.
Commbombing is a legitimate tactic. Perhaps you'd like to get back to the days where all tactics that the host didn't like were instant-bans, like dgun drops or commnaps? But this time it would be a server ban? Hope that was a lapse of judgment on your part or I can't take you seriously.

You seem to be struggling with the language, I realize you probably meant ally killing but I couldn't resist making this point in case you didn't.

Your argument about renames being more work for coders is nil as there is a persistent account ID. If your project requires names and ignores the unique ID then it is your inability to code properly that is the problem.

Renaming is good because it allows a bit of anonymity while maintaining balance. I already have to deal with country flags giving me away because there is only about 3 people playing from my country. Some days I simply do not want to interact on that level with people.

Without renaming the userlist would quickly saturate and you'd start seeing a lot more names with numbers because all the other names were taken by "rename accounts" that are just left to rot after use.

I'll mention that I will not debate with you, this is the only post you'll get as you're either misunderstanding the opposite point of view on purpose or are legitimately ignorant of the English language and are unable to comprehend the arguments presented. Either way as bibim said more eloquently, it's a waste of time repeating.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Evangelion wrote:Your argument about renames being more work for coders is nil as there is a persistent account ID. If your project requires names and ignores the unique ID then it is your inability to code properly that is the problem.
FYI: initially there was no persistent account id, many code still relies/relied on the name beeing unique as it doesn't use/know about the account id. this mostly affects ban/ignore-lists. afaik then rename was added and then account id because of the problems with ignore/ban lists.

with combobombing i meant to bomb friendly units like: walking into an allied base and then selfd the com (=teamkill).

Return to “Infrastructure Development”