Mac Binary Release - Page 15

Mac Binary Release

Discuss everything related to compiling and running Spring on Mac OS X.

Moderator: Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

AFLobby should work on a Mac with the latest java runtime environment.

However it will need a unitsync.dylib with the 0.75b2 java bindings or itll just revert to chat mode and give an unsatisfied link error message.
Moop

Post by Moop »

I would help with SpringLobby, but the disapearence of Elio has disenfranchised me a bit.
desertlynx

Post by desertlynx »

Moop wrote:I would help with SpringLobby, but the disapearence of Elio has disenfranchised me a bit.
I doubt Elio has dissappeared, he just comes and goes from posting in the forum. The last I heard he was having serious trouble finding reliable internet access. This being Australia, I can fully understand such trouble :?

We need a person with problem solving skills, who has a mac and is capable of developing on it, to sort out some problems in SpringLobby.
OSX86 anyone?
Smilesalot

Re: I DONT NOSE WHTS GOING ON?

Post by Smilesalot »

pen15pL34z0r wrote:Kan soomeone tell me xpected tyme of ubar kool MAC voirsion release of springy! kay thx ^o^
I Think someone wants to know when the mac version will be released. And I have to admit im curious as well.
Stealth870

Re: Mac Binary Release

Post by Stealth870 »

I have a Hackintosh (OSX 86 on my Dell Laptop) and I've compiled program under Linux before. If someone is willing to tell me how to go about getting Spring compiled here (dependencies and such) and creating a package I could try...? :oops:
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

Your best bet might be looking at the installation guide for Linux but that is I admit not a particularly good option. Other than that I don't know. I am sorry I don't have more to help you out with.
Commander

Post by Commander »

Stealth870 wrote:If someone is willing to tell me how to go about getting Spring compiled here (dependencies and such) and creating a package I could try...? :oops:
Try this:
https://spring.clan-sy.com/svn/spring/t ... MACOSX.txt
This is however a bit different from compiling in Linux. I will try it myself, because I love this game, but the binaries provided here do not work for me.

EDIT:
I'm still on it. This needs some hacking in latest SVN. The project file is heavily outdated.
Done so far:
  • Added/removed source files to/from the project (some may still be missing)
  • Created a project for building dependency frameworks (boost, DevIL, glew, ...).
  • Disabled the outdated Quicktime image loader. My Mac build will use DevIL now.
  • Get rid of lots of errors like this: "invalid conversion from 'unsigned int*' to 'const GLuint*'" by explicit casting. Maybe there's a better way than this.
  • Minor changes I might have forgotten.
To be done:
  • Eliminate linker errors. Not many left, but some might be difficult to solve
  • Runtime debugging
Lots of work, I hope it's worth it. Of course I will publish my work.
Commander

Post by Commander »

It works! That was easier than I thought.
Next tasks:
  • Build AIs
  • Proper layout of data files and packaging
  • Get rid of "Warning: Sync checking disabled" messages
Here is my dependencies XCode project. Instructions are included. I will post my changes to the spring source soon.
Attachments
spring-dependencies.zip
Mac dependencies XCode project
(39.14 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

Nice job! I was still working on getting all these dependencies met. :P I'll try and figure out how to use that Xcode file...
DandyGnome

Post by DandyGnome »

Well I managed to compile the Dependencies on my MBP so at least that part is universal. I guess we will find out about the rest of spring at some point. Thanks for your work on this.
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

Yay! somone who had more time than me to really go through the Mac build stuff (I had fixed some things, but had more to do...)
Commander wrote:
  • Get rid of lots of errors like this: "invalid conversion from 'unsigned int*' to 'const GLuint*'" by explicit casting. Maybe there's a better way than this.
Don't do this.... Make sure the variables are declared properly with the correct type. I had already fixed quite a number of these by making sure that the variable was declared as GLuint * etc rather than unsigned int *. Casts just perpetuate the problem, which is an incorrect declaration.

Oh - and please make sure you commit your changes as you go - the problem with Elio was he made a LOT of changes but kept his own source tree that got further and further from the svn version, making it a bigger and bigger job to merge in, which he never did, then he disappeared....
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

A number of situations with unsigned int are there for other deliberate reasons.

For example a GLuint was replaced with an unsigned int in UnitDef because it meant AIs would need to add OpenGL as a dependency, which is quite absurd.
Commander

Post by Commander »

Nice to hear you like it!

OK, I will revert the casting stuff. I might need some assistance in where to declare GL types and where not. I'll continue work on the source in a few days, when I'm back home.

There are still some dependencies missing, which are SDL, Ogg, Vorbis and Freetype. For the latter I used a static library from the OGRE mac dependencies package, which is available here. But there's lots of stuff in it we don't need.

For the others there should be precompiled frameworks somewhere on the net, at least that's how I got them long ago.
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

Commander, I got the scons configure to atleast detect SDL by using fink to install it. Freetype is also installable, but I don't know why it wasn't detected, at least not with default settings. You could probably figure out how to find and specify the right directory better than me. :mrgreen:
Commander

Post by Commander »

Did you try freetype2? I'm not sure which version is needed.

Does fink provide universal binaries? I don't think so. So this might not be an option anyway, except for building an one-arch binary of course.

Btw, I don't use scons to build spring, and to be honest I don't intend to. But you may try of course. Also makes more sense until I can provide my updated XCode project. Sorry for the delay, I'm not at home right now.
LordMatt

Post by LordMatt »

Well Belmakor people don't necessarily have commit access to the SVN. Perhaps a branch could be made for this and the people who are working on it could be given access?
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

Yea, fink is platform specific, so I'd be separate installs for x86 and PPC. Though I thought by now the Mac release would aim at x86 since I'm not sure if there would be any PPC Macs capable of playing Spring at any useful framerate? But if it's just easier to do the Universal thing, then go for it! :D

Either way, yea it was Freetype2 that I installed, but scons didn't find it. :/ Oh well.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

where commit access is nowhere to be found the patch diff reigns supreme
icd

Post by icd »

G5 Power Macs and iMacs play Spring just fine, thank you very much. :P
Belmakor

Post by Belmakor »

AF wrote:A number of situations with unsigned int are there for other deliberate reasons.

For example a GLuint was replaced with an unsigned int in UnitDef because it meant AIs would need to add OpenGL as a dependency, which is quite absurd.
Then another solution needs to be found... I'm willing to look at this if I get some time next week once I'm home again. But, basically - it's not a good idea to declare as unsigned int as on a Mac, unsinged int and GLuint are different sizes (32 v 64 bit). I'm guessing that the whole idea of texture references needs to be removed from UnitDef class altogether, so we have (at least) some separation between model and view.

Return to “Mac OS X”