Lua Unit Defs vs tdfs - Page 2

Lua Unit Defs vs tdfs

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Lurking

Re: Balanced Annihilation Reloaded

Post by Lurking »

TradeMark wrote:yeah that too... change the internal names and fuck up all scripts :d
Well that should solve the problem with unit marking spam ^_^
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Also what makes no sense in this lua shit is that they convert DATA files to lua. This new modinfo.tdf -> modinfo.lua change was really stupid since modinfo.tdf has only DATA in it.

It's just retarded to convert something static into dynamic when there is no need for dynamicity in such files.

The whole problem with these .fbi / .tdf files was that bad parser they used, instead of fixing the parser, the lazy ass devs just decided to spit on our faces and use lua instead.

Sure you could still use .lua to mod the mod, but please: dont use lua in data files. Keep data and mod functionality in separate files. Use a tool that can display units/weapons/corpses in one single page (its not that hard to create such tool (if the mod files were static file format...))

Basically the only problem with the parser was that strings werent working properly, and it didnt check for syntax errors at all.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I agree that the CA unit guide is not useful compared to modit but doesn't the existence of the CA guide negate the difficulty in parsing lua argument? The CA guide is functionally doing what modit does but to lua files.

Lua data files can be manipulated with unitdefs_posts and have complex batch edits with CAEdit. What does tdf have that makes it any better?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

TradeMark wrote:Also what makes no sense in this lua shit is that they convert DATA files to lua. This new modinfo.tdf -> modinfo.lua change was really stupid since modinfo.tdf has only DATA in it.

It's just retarded to convert something static into dynamic when there is no need for dynamicity in such files.

The whole problem with these .fbi / .tdf files was that bad parser they used, instead of fixing the parser, the lazy ass devs just decided to spit on our faces and use lua instead.

Sure you could still use .lua to mod the mod, but please: dont use lua in data files. Keep data and mod functionality in separate files. Use a tool that can display units/weapons/corpses in one single page (its not that hard to create such tool (if the mod files were static file format...))

Basically the only problem with the parser was that strings werent working properly, and it didnt check for syntax errors at all.
again i whine that nobody made complete lua mod info convertor, only units/weapons, i cant use only that in Modinfo page, you see i need buildlists, corpses, armors, everything. that would be no problem if these idiots didnt convert every fucking file into lua just because they can.

apple fan bois...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

CarRepairer wrote:Also, it's wise to name units more logically. Missile Tower = armrl makes no sense.
ARM Rocket Launcher. It makes sense, it's short and to the point.
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Re: Lua Unit Defs vs tdfs

Post by trepan »

lua2php.cpp has been sitting in tools/unitsync/test/ for quite
a while now. Assuming someone updates it for "recent" engine
changes, it can be used to generate a valid PHP file with defs.lua
information without having to use an external lua syntax parser.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

zwzsg wrote:
CarRepairer wrote:Also, it's wise to name units more logically. Missile Tower = armrl makes no sense.
Individually, yes. But there is no consistent nomenclature. Different things named by different people according to different rules, or depending on past information.

Not that people wanted a logical component-oriented nomenclature in, say, CA. Presently individual unit names are used, as far as I remember.
Argh

Post by Argh »

It has two resources but only one is relevant for building.
hahahahahhahahaahahahhaaha...

No.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

zwzsg wrote:
My own experience in finding *A units to look at as a guide for my own units is quite a chore. I think a diplomatic way to look at this is if you intend to keep things simple for a smaller, more "devoted" group, I guess, then your ARMRL will probably suffice. But if you intend to help future modders and developers, then making unit names more intuitive would be nice.

As for the conversation about using lua, the project oksnoop2 and I are currently working on is completely lua. I haven't even touched the older file-types and all that, and don't intend to unless it's absolutely necessary. Like I said earlier, I think something to consider is future developers and how easy/difficult you want to make things for them.

The fact that lua is just a notepad file that i can save and then boot up the game to see if it worked right is pretty nice and one of the reasons we decided to go all-lua in the first place.

That being said, I'll say now I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of this. My position is simply that of a new game developer trying to get stuff done.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

The fact that lua is just a notepad file that i can save and then boot up the game to see if it worked right is pretty nice and one of the reasons we decided to go all-lua in the first place.
Not only that. You can see if a gadet, widget or script (and probably other things) works without restarting spring.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

So are TDF and FBI.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

My claim to ignorance is strengthened.

Regardless, I'm still blindly pro-lua.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

trepan wrote:lua2php.cpp has been sitting in tools/unitsync/test/ for quite
a while now. Assuming someone updates it for "recent" engine
changes, it can be used to generate a valid PHP file with defs.lua
information without having to use an external lua syntax parser.
does it support EVERYTHING? last time you said the same, but it didnt support everything. i cant do anything with just weapons/units stats...

Where is the newest? i cant find only this http://springrts.com/svn/spring/tags/sp ... sync/test/
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I'm making a new game and I'm heavily using lua code to generate units far beyond even the amount of lua that CA uses. I hardcode less than half of the unit defs! Making a game by myself is very time consuming and this saves me a lot of time. I don't care if my mod won't work on modinfo because I'm not using TDFs, the only person in the universe that cares is Trademark. I can code my own auto-generated manual, as I already have for CA.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

CarRepairer wrote:the only person in the universe that cares is Trademark.
so... only one person plays your mod then? (which would be me).
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

OMFG ur such a whiny noob tm. Lua defs makes sense. it has more features than tdf. ur just being lazy because you dont actually make mods, you just spam metalmaps. but no one cares if modit parses lua.
lurker

Post by lurker »

When stats follow certain rules, or you have upgrades with percentage improvements, it's wasteful to use data files for them, having to update many files and making sure they're all consistent. Even if you happen to have a reader for data files already coded.

Can you please stop insulting people, trademark?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Tribulex wrote:OMFG ur such a whiny noob tm. Lua defs makes sense. it has more features than tdf. ur just being lazy because you dont actually make mods, you just spam metalmaps. but no one cares if modit parses lua.
nice trolling.
lurker wrote:Can you please stop insulting people, trademark?
insulting? haha good joke...

youre all big apple noobs who are using lua for data files.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

You seem to have 2 main points:
  • Everyone who uses lua for data files is stupid (and is somehow an apple fanboy).
  • It is impossible to use lua in modit
Your first point is irrelevant to the actual functionality of lua defs. Your second is disproved by the existence of CarRepairers mod stats thing.

In short:
OMFG ur such a whiny noob tm. Lua defs makes sense. it has more features than tdf. ur just being lazy because you dont actually make mods, you just spam metalmaps. but no one cares if modit parses lua.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Google_Frog wrote:You seem to have 2 main points:
It is impossible to use lua in modit
what? are you blind, trepan already sent the lua -> PHP code. im waiting to get the most recent version so i can try it out.
Google_Frog wrote:In short:
nice trolling again.

Edit: what im crying is here because youre all so fucking retarded that you use scripting languages for static data files because youre too fucking lazy to use a dev tool to edit your mod easier. you are also fucking stupid you think im crying about this just for Modit lol gtfo noobs.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”