Even more explosions?

Even more explosions?

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Even more explosions?

Post by Snipawolf »

I want explosions like this...

If not implemented I want options like this :P

How High? How large(round-wise)? How long explosion lasts? Primary Color? Side Color? How Many Shrapnel pieces? Angle of Shrapnel?
Velocity of Shrapnel?
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

What game is that?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Earth 2160 :P
smoth

Post by smoth »

use heatcloud, groundwave and several peices flying off.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

The explosions were the best part of that game.

And do what Smoth said.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

How insanely hard would it be to make a pixelshader that would put a radial blur on the screen with its center in the explosion? If we could have nuke explosions like the ones in cabbages video I would never stop drooling.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Those explosions are simple polygon planes with an additive texture on them that scale outwards and darken at the same time (plus smoking debries but those are implemented already anyway). Fairly trivial to do if the explosion system were flexible enough.

A shockwave shader would be very simple, should be possible to derive one from the water shaders. If not there's Doom3 which has such a shader in a simple shader language (not sure which one).

You'd take an image, use the red and green channels to define an offset vector for each pixel and then let the shader do per pixel: add the offset vector to the pixel position, read the pixel there (bilinear interpolation for subpixels) and paint the current pixel with that color. Would have to use a separate input and output buffer.

You could even render the offset images to a separate buffer (while drawing each offset image with an alpha depending on its visibility so the shockwave would fade out instead of disappear) and let the shader run once using the resulting image. The entire operation should be O(n) for both computing and memory (n=pixels per frame). Not sure what to do for pixels sourcing from outside the view but I'd say read the closest pixel (I think that can be handled by using the clamp mode that extends the borders of the image, forgot the name).

OT: In that picture the LC player is about to lose his tanks as he outfitted them with chemical armor even though the UCS does not have chemical weapons (except for the token flamer). In E2160 a unit dies after a few (2-3) hits if it has the wrong armor type. The UCS player is going to be in trouble anyway unless he brought artillery (E2160 is porcing-deluxe, turrets are almost invulnerable against non-artillery units but artillery rips half a base to shreds with a few rounds) and don't ask me why he put his anti-air units right in front of the turrets.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Cool, thanks for helping
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

We just need to be able to use the explosion shell effect the default explosions have and possibly retexture that and wed have that effect too..

Return to “Feature Requests”