Unit tesslation?

Unit tesslation?

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Unit tesslation?

Post by Super Mario »

I quickly read through development page on lua opengl, see nothing mentioning about unit tessellation. I notice that's it's a common graphical feature on mordern RTS such as wargame: red dragon, total war shogun 2, and I was quite surprised that it wasn't listed there. It a common way to "prettfy" the unit when the camera is zoomed in.

If this feature exit already then kindly point me to it, cause I don't see it.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Unit tesslation?

Post by PicassoCT »

Thank you, thank you for volunteering.. its really generous

Notice how it takes games like BAR years to get all the units ingame. Now imagine how that goes, if you have twice the work?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

There is no unit tessellation, although spring can automatically make 2D billboards of units for when you are zoomed out far.

For future reference, never say "but X game does Y!". Spring will never be able to stack up purely feature-to-feature against AAA engines or games. Spring games rely on the freedom of creativity from their developers.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

luckywaldo7 wrote:There is no unit tessellation, although spring can automatically make 2D billboards of units for when you are zoomed out far.

For future reference, never say "but X game does Y!". Spring will never be able to stack up purely feature-to-feature against AAA engines or games. Spring games rely on the freedom of creativity from their developers.
I never said that in the first place.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

You literally talked about Wargame: Red Dragon and Total War: Shogun 2 having unit tessellation.

X = Wargame: Red Dragon, Total War: Shogun 2
Y = unit tessellation
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

luckywaldo7 wrote:You literally talked about Wargame: Red Dragon and Total War: Shogun 2 having unit tessellation.

X = Wargame: Red Dragon, Total War: Shogun 2
Y = unit tessellation
It's called observation. I merely comment that modern rts have tessellation more frequently now these days, and I was bit surprise that engine didn't contain any support for it.

Now do I make my self clear?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

It's just fine as merely an observation. I may observe that the sun is currently setting outside my window, and I'm surprised the sky is clear and not cloudy.

I was just letting you know that it has no meaning as a supporting argument for adding a certain feature.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Notice how it takes games like BAR years to get all the units ingame.
This is because we are a small group of hobbyists with no deadlines who work when we have the free time for it ;). That said, you can go to the testing host and discover that all the units are now in the game (and have been for some months, although there are still tweaks to do). Of course there are other things to do, still.

As to tesselation in Spring, don't want to stamp on your project if you were planning to write it, but I don't see much of a need for it.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Hey, it's christmas soon. BAR release time?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

No. Merry Christmas ;) You can play chickens with it instead.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

I was planning on making it a christmas turkey.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

It's the second time you say this >.<

On topic: i wonder if it's hard or very hard to implement dynamic tesselation.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

My Approach would be to use the cartoon-shadder to detect vertexes of every piece that are defining the edges (from all 6 directions.. then start dynamically remove all non edge vertexes..

The actual standard approach is to have several level of details modells and swap them by distance..

Return to “Feature Requests”