Joining multiple chans

Joining multiple chans

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

FabriceFABS

Joining multiple chans

Post by FabriceFABS »

Hi there,

I have project to put a bot (same one, same account) on more that one lobby's games at the same time.

As you know, there's no point for a player being in multi-room's game, and Spring protocol forbids it.

> Howerver, is it possible to allow that for accounts tagged as bots ?

Thx for reading
Fabrice
Beherith

Re: Joining multiple chans

Post by Beherith »

So what you want is the ability for 1 lobby account to join multiple battlerooms?
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

Yes, you guessed it.
The bot tag could fit in such a case, maybe !

Thx
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

FabriceFABS wrote:Yes, you guessed it.
The bot tag could fit maybe !

Thx
So the bot would never actually join the games, just idle in the battleroom? I could see a use or two for a feature like that and I imagine that you could probably hack that functionality into the current system... have you tried just doing it?
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

Hi,
SinbadEV wrote:So the bot would never actually join the games, just idle in the battleroom? I could see a use or two for a feature like that
Well, I didn't think about it joining games to tell the truth, not sure right now that it could be useful for being ingame.

SinbadEV wrote:and I imagine that you could probably hack that functionality into the current system... have you tried just doing it?
I'm not sure to understand what you mean. Witch fonctionality : The fact of joining multiple-battleroom ?
The bot got a list of chans to join.
It join any chat channel, and never more than one battleroom ; It simply doesn't work for the next one (battleroom) in the list !

I also did the test with an IRC client : Same result (That why I guessed this understandable limit)
aegis

Post by aegis »

You can't join multiple battlerooms with the current protocol (even if the server were modified to allow you to exist in multiple battles)

The protocol doesn't have a prefix for *which* battle when sending you battle commands... so you can see "user X said something in the battleroom" but you can't see "user X said something in battleroom Y"

A simple protocol extension would be a compat flag for "multiple battles" (mb?) where all of the battle commands included the battle ID, like so:

Code: Select all

SAIDBATTLE 27 aegis hi
versus

Code: Select all

SAIDBATTLE aegis hi
If we went a little further and included a command from the host for "STARTBATTLE" instead of using the host's "MYSTATUS" command to signify going ingame, a single user would even be able to host multiple battles.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Actually there is a point for people to be in mutliple rooms. Often Games take a considerabl time to get together and get going. Time which could be spend - in other- allready going games.

Best system would be a multiple join ability, which allowed to set priortiy. If a game starts, and a game with a higher priority gets together, you get ejected from your current game (and replaced by a bot) and inserted into the starting game.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Too many things now expect player to only be present in up to one battle.

Changing that would break stuff everywhere.

If you need to join more, just spawn more "accounts".
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

PicassoCT wrote: Best system would be a multiple join ability, which allowed to set priortiy.
That would be infuriatingly annoying.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Depends- but i guess some people do it anyway, using multiple lobbys. Cant imagine someone waiting 3 hours for eough people to get on for jw.
So yes, its kind of pointless to implement something people to anyway, just using the alt-tab .

Return to “Feature Requests”