who do I play online games with spring on linux

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

mangotsome

Post by mangotsome »

Hi guys I installed spring_0.74b3 using the WiKi this is the way I installed it.
I have got it working now but how do I get to play with people online.

All other linux distributions

* Make sure you have the following packages installed:

build-essential libsdl-dev libopenal-dev libglew-dev libboost-dev libboost-thread-dev libboost-regex-dev libdevil-dev libfreetype6-dev python2.4-dev scons subversion zip

* Create a working directory, we'll use this to compile spring:

mkdir ~/workdir
cd ~/workdir

* Download the most recent source tarball (.tar.bz2 file) from BerliOS (http://developer.berlios.de/project/sho ... up_id=4358), save it in ~/workdir.

* Extract the tarball and switch to the directory (adjust version numbers if necessary):

tar xfj spring_0.74b3_src.tar.bz2
cd spring_0.74b3
Watch out when using graphical extraction tools. They don't always create the included empty directories, causing later steps to fail. It is recommended to extract the archive using the above command.

* Configure: scons configure
If this doesn't work, be sure to check you installed all dependencies, and peek at the file config.log, which may show the reason it didn't work in detail. To tune the configuration (installation paths, debugging, etc.), refer to: scons -H

* Compile by running: scons
This can take 5-15 minutes depending on your system.

* To install spring, run the following as root: scons install

* Set up spring to look in your home directory for data files (run as root):

mkdir -p /etc/spring
echo '$HOME/.spring' > /etc/spring/datadir'

Alternatively you can specify it in ~/.springrc (if you don't have root access):

echo "SpringData=$HOME/.spring" >> ~/.springrc

* Now continue at the fourth (4th) step under Debian, Ubuntu & derivatives: "Create directories for data files".
Last edited by mangotsome on 22 Mar 2007, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
hollowsoul

Post by hollowsoul »

Can i shoot u for using colored text ???
Completely unreadable & unnesscary
mangotsome

Post by mangotsome »

"Can i shoot u for using colored text ???," not in real life no

maybe you could get me playing spring online with people and then you can kill all my stuff :)
diggz2k

Post by diggz2k »

mangotsome

Post by mangotsome »

Hi guys I managed to find out how to run the Unit lobby, which I do from a Konsole, The UnityLobby did ask me for some directory's like where is the spring executable, and then it asked my for a dictory which I think was called workdir or some thing like that, I thought this was my map directory so I put that in, then it says the Unitylobby is not finished - but whats the point in that. I get this from a terminal now

samuelmp@1[~]$ cd /home/samuelmp/spring_0.74b3/UnityLobby
samuelmp@1[UnityLobby]$ ./Unity.py
/home/samuelmp/spring_0.74b3/UnityLobby/Profile.py
samuelmp@1[UnityLobby]$ Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/samuelmp/spring_0.74b3/UnityLobby/client/main.py", line 231, in ?
status_icon = status_icon(options.profile)
File "/home/samuelmp/spring_0.74b3/UnityLobby/client/main.py", line 97, in __init__
self.register_iconsets([('unitylobby-bot', bot_image_location)])
File "/home/samuelmp/spring_0.74b3/UnityLobby/client/main.py", line 220, in register_iconsets
pixbuf = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(file)
gobject.GError: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/home/samuelmp/spring_0.74b3/UnityLobby/resources/status/bot.svg'
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

you miss the proper library to display svg files, i am arunning mandriva and i used to have the same error; the lib that fixed my problem is:

librsvg

beware that if you're using a different distro, it might have another name

Return to “Linux”