AMD HAS got their act together!

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I thought this deserved its own thread, seeing we've discussed this for fucking ages:

AMD to open up graphics specs

Looks like AMD will be the linux users company of choice by this time next year... well until intel devours the competition when it enters the market :wink: (raytracing ftw! :P)

Looks like Nvidia will be left behind as the only big player without open-source drivers in the graphics card business.

EDIT: I realise this probably would have been more suited in the offtopic section..
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

And why did you need two topics?
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

clericvash wrote:And why did you need two topics?
Regards different things. The other topic is for the new drivers coming out this week. This topic regards the fact that they are open-sourcing drivers; which is pretty big and deserves its own topic IMO :P
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

Notice how they say they can't just open the current binary driver. I imagine for licensing issues and all, but that just goes to show the ephemeral nature of closed source software. Spring, being open source, will be here long after the ATI brand is forgotten (which will be quick as the new generation has only ever known them as AMD).

Nvidia cards already have a community open driver project, further ahead than ATI, but maybe without as much support from nvidia itself. What i hope for is that both solutions work perfectly so i can pick graphics card based on, well, performance!

Untaint the kernel!
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

CautionToTheWind wrote:Notice how they say they can't just open the current binary driver. I imagine for licensing issues and all, but that just goes to show the ephemeral nature of closed source software. Spring, being open source, will be here long after the ATI brand is forgotten (which will be quick as the new generation has only ever known them as AMD).

Nvidia cards already have a community open driver project, further ahead than ATI, but maybe without as much support from nvidia itself. What i hope for is that both solutions work perfectly so i can pick graphics card based on, well, performance!

Untaint the kernel!
Indeed, theres probably a lot of IP in those closed source drivers, especially from microsoft.

Lets just hope that Barcelona doesn't fail, and that the penryn + G92 Combination will not obliterate AMD.

EDIT: Woot, just realised got onto front page of digg with this :P http://www.digg.com/hardware/AMD_to_ope ... hics_specs
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

WOW.. that was quick;

AMD Releases 900+ Pages Of GPU Specs

AFAIK this is only 2d specs, but 3d are on their way.

Looks like my next card is gna be AMD.... It's funny how things change uber quickly, 2 weeks ago I was advising every1 who wanted advise NOT to buy AMD :P

Also; new closed source drivers are out today.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Lippy wrote: Also; new closed source drivers are out today.
When when when ??? I need to test them ! :)
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Just search google for 8.41.7 drivers... I don't know the usual distribution methods for ATI/AMD drivers

Return to “Linux”