New release! Spring 83.0 is out! - Page 3

New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Discuss Spring news, such as fresh releases and press coverage, here.
User avatar
Jools
XTA Developer
Posts: 2814
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 16:29

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by Jools »

AF wrote:This is factually correct, not broken, your ally team != your team.

The reason this appears broken is because team sharing is rare these days, as such ally teams have been shortened to 'teams' and teams has been renamed to 'player'.

Go start a battle and have someone share the same ally and team numbers as you and watch as you both control the same units.
Bah, I know that, maybe I was using sarcastic language. But ally-team is a stupid construction, it means nothing sensible (if you are a team then it's assumed you are also allied, how can you e.g. be a foe-team? It makes no sense).

If you comshare then I consider that as a variant of sharing a player, not a team. I know that spring has different stance in internal functions, but there is no need to bring that crap out in the light.

Take the analogy of a football game: you have players and then you have teams. Even though there are some games where many people can control the same players (remember kick-off), it's doesnt make that player a team.

One possible concept to use could be alliance instead of ally-team.
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by AF »

There's nothing stopping you modifying your game to include an endgame stats widget with the word 'Alliance' or 'Team'
User avatar
Jools
XTA Developer
Posts: 2814
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 16:29

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by Jools »

Oh cool, I thought I needed to hack the spring.exe

Or if the engine team wants to be objective, why not just revert to the old "You lost/won" or even just "Defeat/Victory".
Kloot
Spring Developer
Posts: 1867
Joined: 08 Oct 2006, 16:58

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by Kloot »

Jools wrote:Also: is there a way to automatically enable the /advmapshading 0 command, so I don't have to start each game by typing that.
springsettings.cfg --> AdvMapShading=0
device
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Nov 2011, 02:07

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by device »

You act like kids, seriously :D
User avatar
Jools
XTA Developer
Posts: 2814
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 16:29

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by Jools »

Cool, thanks. With new spring my fps nearly doubled, now I get 120 fps.
User avatar
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer
Posts: 300
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 22:37

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by Wartender »

Nice, good to see Spring is still alive :D
User avatar
marciolino
Posts: 268
Joined: 06 Sep 2010, 22:59

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by marciolino »

device wrote: Any news about the official server going 0.83? :roll: :mrgreen:
Does anyone know? :roll:
zerver
Spring Developer
Posts: 1358
Joined: 16 Dec 2006, 20:59

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by zerver »

marciolino wrote:
device wrote: Any news about the official server going 0.83? :roll: :mrgreen:
Does anyone know? :roll:
1-2 days, we will possibly go straight to 84.0 due to issues found in 83.0.
wolas
Posts: 112
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 20:40

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by wolas »

I think older versioning was better. Now it will be like chrome or emacs with uber version changing. (I suppose 84 will be bugfix release when you say it will be in next few days)
zerver
Spring Developer
Posts: 1358
Joined: 16 Dec 2006, 20:59

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by zerver »

In this case a sync-breaking bugfix release, therefore 84 instead of 83.1

Well, a version is just a version. Problem with old versioning system was that we were approaching 1.0. People may have certain expectations for a 1.0 release that we may not be able to meet.
User avatar
koshi
Lobby Developer
Posts: 1059
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 16:15

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by koshi »

zerver wrote:Well, a version is just a version. Problem with old versioning system was that we were approaching 1.0. People may have certain expectations for a 1.0 release that we may not be able to meet.
So instead they expect spring to be 82 revision beyond 1.0 now?
wolas
Posts: 112
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 20:40

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by wolas »

+1 zerver now chrome and emacs is far behind and wont be likely even close for moderate time amount :twisted:

I would just name it 0.1xx and writen something silly with ending "HAHA" who expected 1.

Just joking. Good job pathing fixes are really nice in this version.
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by AF »

We still haven't decided if our naming scheme is base-10, rather than 82 versions we may have jumped 130 versions if it's a hexadecimal version scheme
User avatar
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer
Posts: 6238
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 01:14

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by FLOZi »

zerver wrote:In this case a sync-breaking bugfix release, therefore 84 instead of 83.1

Well, a version is just a version. Problem with old versioning system was that we were approaching 1.0. People may have certain expectations for a 1.0 release that we may not be able to meet.
I thought it was
major.sync.release?
User avatar
Rafal99
Posts: 162
Joined: 14 Jan 2006, 04:09

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by Rafal99 »

zerver wrote:Problem with old versioning system was that we were approaching 1.0.
You could always make version 0.100 after 0.99 :wink:
User avatar
Rafal99
Posts: 162
Joined: 14 Jan 2006, 04:09

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by Rafal99 »

There seems to be some issue when automatically installing Spring through ZKLobby - it gives map checksum error with every map.
Some people using TasClient had this problem too so I post the solution that worked for me and potential cause here.

It seems that downloading Spring manually and installing it manually fixes the problem.

I think the issue has to do with folders:
- I had Spring version 0.82 in D:\Games\Spring
- the ZKLobby installed Spring into D:\Games\Spring\engine\83
- I run ZKLobby from D:\Games\Spring because my shortcut pointed here
- checksum error every game
- I installed Spring 83 manually into D:\Games\Spring and run ZKLobby again
- now it works
User avatar
AF
AI Developer
Posts: 20686
Joined: 14 Sep 2004, 11:32

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by AF »

FLOZi wrote:
zerver wrote:In this case a sync-breaking bugfix release, therefore 84 instead of 83.1

Well, a version is just a version. Problem with old versioning system was that we were approaching 1.0. People may have certain expectations for a 1.0 release that we may not be able to meet.
I thought it was
major.sync.release?

The current versioning scheme ensures there is never more than 1 single decimal place.

vMajorRelease.Minorfix

The details of what constitutes a major and a minor release are in the thread in development complete with fancy graphs by Hoijui
User avatar
SpliFF
Posts: 1224
Joined: 28 Jul 2008, 06:51

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by SpliFF »

zerver wrote:Problem with old versioning system was that we were approaching 1.0. People may have certain expectations for a 1.0 release that we may not be able to meet.
And you don't think they'd have even higher expectations for version 83.0? I read that as "we have made 82 new stable releases since version 1.0. Spring is older than your grandfather."
zerver
Spring Developer
Posts: 1358
Joined: 16 Dec 2006, 20:59

Re: New release! Spring 83.0 is out!

Post by zerver »

Well, those expectations only build up once you approach 1.0, and this OMGWTFBBQ!1!!11!! :shock: 83 :shock: all of a sudden mega-surprise prevents that gradual buildup nicely.

I assume you have seen projects having versions like 0.999.99.99, and there is a reason for that.
Post Reply

Return to “News”