AAI under development again :)

Here is where ideas can be collected for the skirmish AI in development

Moderators: hoijui, Moderators

submarine
AI Developer

AAI under development again :)

Post by submarine »

Hello together,

it has been quite a while since my last post/sign of life and I assume most of the people from 10 years ago are no longer active as well. Over 10 years ago, I wrote the AAI bot ("A" for the lack of creativity as my first name is Alexander and "three letter AI" names were quite popular back then ;) )

The main reason I stopped further development was a lack of time - during the last ten years, I did my PhD, became a professional SW developer, got married and started a family :)

As I advanced in my professional career I have little opportunity to use my coding skills anymore. Thus, I started to code in my private life again. After the first glance at the current AAI codebase I wanted to delete everything and restart from scratch. However, I decided to face the challenge and started to refactor AAI. I already fixed a few bugs (especially a crash in game) and can now play stable games with BA10.24.

So far, I worked on my own fork https://github.com/AlexanderSeizinger/AAI

My first goal is to finish the refactoring of some core components. After that I would raise a PR on the "official" AAI repo. Are there any active developers left? I noticed some forum posts from abma, would you be willing to merge my changes some time in the future?
2 x

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: AAI under development again :)

Post by FLOZi »

Hi submarine, welcome back! S44 still going if you're interested in using it again. 8)
0 x

submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

Cool, that's great to hear that Spring44 is still being worked on. As a human player I really liked the unique game mechanics (though I was really bad...)

However, for an AI designed to play TA-like games S44 is very hard. My guess would be that it is easier to write an S44 specific AI from scratch. Is there any S44 AI? (I remember some very basic "build units and send them towards enemy HQ" AI)
0 x

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Yes, and even harder now than back then.

There are a couple of AI's but effectively both are of the sort you describe.
0 x

abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

submarine wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 13:55
My first goal is to finish the refactoring of some core components. After that I would raise a PR on the "official" AAI repo. Are there any active developers left? I noticed some forum posts from abma, would you be willing to merge my changes some time in the future?
yes, for sure! please don't get frightened, AAI was removed from the official spring repository some time ago because it was unmaintained, but that seems to be solved soon, so when you create the pull request, i'll try to readd it.

glad to hear that + good luck! :-)
1 x

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Awesomeness, excitedly looking forward to a testable/playable release :D
0 x

AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Why hello old friend, we meet again
0 x

submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

abma wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 23:11

yes, for sure! please don't get frightened, AAI was removed from the official spring repository some time ago because it was unmaintained, but that seems to be solved soon, so when you create the pull request, i'll try to readd it.
Don't worry, as it was crashing as soon as the AI finished its first storage it was not really playable. I wonder why I never stumbled upon that when this bug was introduced.

My plan is to finish the initial refactoring of the internal Buildtree (as it is rather entangled with all other parts this is a major package) and fix/improve some minor things on the way and then raise the first PR. Afterwards it should be in a playable state again and it's time to look at all the other parts :)

From my current point of view, the old code is really horrible...
0 x

Return to “AI”