Disabling sensor calculations

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Say one had a project where LOS/radar et al were not part of the gameplay.

Would giving all units 0 for {sight, airSight, radar, sonar}distance in the unitdef, setting {los, airLos, radar}MipLevel to maximum in modrules.lua and setting all created units to always visible with Spring.SetUnitAlwaysVisible be as much as one could do to minimise the impact of the sensor system?

Hypothetically. :regret:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Disabling sensor calculations

Post by Forboding Angel »

Why not just set globallos? I would think you would have a lot better luck by giving all units unlimited vision.

Units with unlimited vision might result in areas where los darkens. I think in either case you would have to probably just make sure that L mode was always on, but that's ofc a simple thing.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

No. Knorke actually tried this with his darkroom map. There is still something in the engine that targets enemy units. Not sure what.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 22:57 Why not just set globallos? I would think you would have a lot better luck by giving all units unlimited vision.

Units with unlimited vision might result in areas where los darkens. I think in either case you would have to probably just make sure that L mode was always on, but that's ofc a simple thing.

Wasn't aware of globallos call.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Spring.SetGlobalLos New in version 101.0

( number allyTeamID, bool globallos )
To be fair, I've never actually used it in a situation of practical application, so I can't really say much about it except that I believe that as long as you set it for each allyteam, you should be good. I assume it works more or less similar to /globallos (except that it must be declared for each individual allyteam ofc, assuming that I understand the arguments correctly).
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I did something in the last LD (I think LD43?) to remove LOS. If I recall correctly I toggled globalLOS and reduced the LOS resolution significantly.

Return to “Game Development”