Bridges?

Bridges?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Von66341

Bridges?

Post by Von66341 »

Hey!

Anyone knows if it is possible to build bridges which vehicles, tanks etc can cross?
And also to destory the bridges?

Thanks!
Google_Frog

Re: Bridges?

Post by Google_Frog »

What is a bridge? Seriously there are many things you could mean.

Do you want things that look like bridges? There is a KP map that uses lua to draw the terrain which could be changed to draw things that look like bridges. I think Argh was doing something similar with PURE a while ago too.

Do you want bridges to be able to actually build bridges ingame? Zero-k has terraforming that can be used to build and destroy land bridges.

Do you want units to drive under the bridges as well as on top? This has not been done and I don't think anyone is working on it. Bridges like that pose a challenge as the units have to be moved manually by lua across the gap and the pathfinder has to be told that the top path is a path. It sounds very messy to implement.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

maybe if we had bridges, then the trolls would hide under them instead of combombing noobs :)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

You can make things that looks like bridges, but that won't let unit pass under. They could be made destructible.

knorke

Post by knorke »

some gadget to SetUnitPosition the units on a preset path along a bridge that is either a non-ground-blocking feature/unit or drawn with lua would in theory not be too hard. some gameplay wise useless techdemo would be quick to make but make it really playable..hard.
Von66341

Post by Von66341 »

I am looking for a functional bridge. (if someone has done it or if it is possible)

The bridge will be there at game start.
We could destory the bridge and also rebuild the destory bridge in game.
Unit will only be able to move across the bridge.
Would this be possible?

zwzsg, may i know which game the print screen was from?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

game is gundam, but the map is super secret? I suggest you look into mail order bridges.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Von66341 wrote:Unit will only be able to move across the bridge.
Would this be possible?
Only across, and not under? Then yeah it's possible.

The map of that screenshost I never released, but like Google_Frog said you can look at this KP map for a similar effect. On it press F1 to switch between the smoke & mirror Lua view, and the real heightmap view.

It's done with:
- The map real terrain actually has a some sort of dam right under the bridge. So the units are in fact walking on a tall invisible wall.
- I hide the real map terrain, either wholly (Spring.SetDrawGround(false)) or under altitude 0 (voidwater).
- I draw textured polygons with Spring OpenGL Lua API to draw a bridge and some cliffs.
Von66341

Post by Von66341 »

Hey!

Will the work you done in KP be usable with the maps created using SpringMapEdit?

Toying with following idea:
If I have a bridge as a features in springmapedit.
In the file if I place it blocking = 0; units will be able to pass through?
Are we able to blow up features?

Thanks!
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Yes, features can be blown up, and features can be passed through. But that won't make them bridges! Brigdes are not features, features are not bridges!

No one has yet done simple bridge features that you can drag and drop.

You will need coding skills, modding skills, some craftiness, time, dedication, and a good understanding of how Spring works to put bridges into a map.

Because you'll need to write a thousand lines of Lua code to get bridges! They're NOT a standard component that you can place by the push of a button.
yourface

Post by yourface »

KaiserJ wrote:maybe if we had bridges, then the trolls would hide under them instead of combombing noobs :)
yes :mrgreen:
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Solution is a voxel-based engine. Why I abandoned my project of writing a heightmap engine. Too confining. Caves and shit are cool - minecraft showed us that. Now how many years before spring gets real bridges. Still stuck in 1997 with TA.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Rts are top down outside of collapsing stuff I don 't like stuff over stuff in rts games
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

But you have to admit the voxel units in Red alert 2 were cool. You could model a tank with a 3D paintbrush-style editor in 5 minutes.

Return to “Game Development”