[WIP] Charlie in the Hills - Page 2

[WIP] Charlie in the Hills

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

enetheru

Re: [WIP] Charlie in the Hills

Post by enetheru »

Funkencool wrote:Looks good :-)

I think one thing worth noting is nice features can get a little expensive. Since it looks like your using quite a few, maybe have 2 sets? One for players who have yet to upgrade their computers and one for players who already have, switchable in the map options.
I like this, any tips on whether its the quantity or the variety of features that causes performance loss?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

PicassoCT wrote:Image
where can I get that?

I was only using the s44 ones because they were the closest match in all of springfeatures. I was also going to scale them down quit a bit, perhaps by half.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

enetheru wrote: I like this, any tips on whether its the quantity or the variety of features that causes performance loss?
Not sure, probably a mix of both.

If you are going to do it you can replace your 'mapconfig/featureplace/config.lua' with this

Code: Select all

if (Spring.GetMapOptions().featureset == "normal") then
	return VFS.Include("mapconfig/featureplacer/set.lua")
else
	return VFS.Include("mapconfig/featureplacer/setlow.lua")
and add this to your map options

{
		key   = 'featureset',
		name  = 'Features',
		desc  = 'assorted feature options',
		type  = 'list',
		section = 'terrain',
		def   = 'normal',
		items = {
			{ key = 'normal', name = "Normal", desc = "Default feature placement" },
			{ key = 'low', name = "Low end", desc = "Features for lower end comps" },
		},
	},
and then make a setlow.lua (or any name of your choosing just change in config.lua also) to put alonside your set.lua
gajop

Post by gajop »

it doesn't seem that there are too many features, i'd even give it some more variety and perhaps add smaller vegetation like bushes
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

thanks Funkencool, definitely will come in handy, :) I might start a scripts catalogue or some such in the wiki for these types of things..
gajop wrote:it doesn't seem that there are too many features, i'd even give it some more variety and perhaps add smaller vegetation like bushes
haha, yeah thats just an initial test, only one feature type..

I plan on having quite a few, and seeing how I can use blenders particle features to achieve clumping among other things. I will be moving slowly because work really picked up.. :| cannot work on spring on company time atm.

I don't expect using blenders particles to be the end result, instead I'm expecting it to provide the base, and then go over it in feature placer in game to add unique and interesting parts.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

It's worth noting that you can use elseif's to basically have as many sets as you like.

This info should prolly go in the wiki.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Forboding Angel wrote:It's worth noting that you can use elseif's to basically have as many sets as you like.

This info should prolly go in the wiki.
With complimentary entries in the mapoptions part. That's what I had but for his purpose I just deleted it. It should probably also just be in the blueprint, even if commented out, with a few notes.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

enetheru wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:Image
where can I get that?

I was only using the s44 ones because they were the closest match in all of springfeatures. I was also going to scale them down quit a bit, perhaps by half.
Its on my comp at home, will finnish it up when i get there, post it in this thread..
The Yak

Post by The Yak »

Looks good, looking forward to seeing it rendered in spring
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

always wanted more buildings on maps... thus i made mod.. but i admit most time looking on map is spended at gamestart .. were enemy buildings dont cover the map.. so up it goes..
Attachments
comUnityService.7z
(61.17 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

PicassoCT wrote:always wanted more buildings on maps... thus i made mod.. but i admit most time looking on map is spended at gamestart .. were enemy buildings dont cover the map.. so up it goes..
cool, thanks.

I'm too tired to go on tonight work this week has been taxing, need to sleep.. but exporting the particle systems happens to be rather simple...

this sort of thing will print(replace with write to file) all particle systems particle locations with associated object names.. if I get time on the weekend i will work on my maptools script to make this happen.. then onwards!!

for system in context.active_object.particle_systems:
        name =  system.settings.dupli_object.name
        for particle in system.particles:
            print(name, particle.location.x, particle.location.y * -1, particle.rotation.z)
I'm continually surprised at how easy writing scripts for blender is.. sure my coding skils are basic, and my scripts not so robust or polished.. but they are a start.

Hopefully I will have the same feeling about the same for spring lua scripts when i approach that hurdle.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Hey, dont worry.. i was very tired too when i made this. So i put in a little self-destructive virus, so should this map not be forged immediatly.. the housing will be gone :)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

do you need anyhting in addition? boats? Racks with fishes? I actually would like to see some none journeywar work not go to waste..
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

PicassoCT wrote:do you need anyhting in addition? boats? Racks with fishes? I actually would like to see some none journeywar work not go to waste..
you should chuck it all up on http://opengameart.org/ or something if you don't want to see it disappear altogether.. ive gotten some good stuff from that site before. but yeah I'll take whatever you got :)

so i woke up this morning wanting to simulate the texture splatting stuff in blender node materials so i can visualise how things are going and test things out, hear is how it ended up :|
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

herpaderp, was trying to render the diffuse image today, but blender crashed because of too many polygons haha.. :| I will find a way. it tells me I have about 1,056,790 faces(quads)..

anyway here's one of the tiles, I'm still working on it, and it also doesn't show the effect of texture splatting yet. which adds a lot of variation to the greens. but its really coming together nicely.

PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

bump for map = bumpmap?
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Been working on this.. but since mapconv has bitrotted, plus windows developers have been messing with it without regard to linux I cant compile it myself.

I've spent the last 5 hours attempting to hack it together with my extremely limited programming ability.. and I'm tired of it.

i don't know why the fuck it relies on boost, and tclap or DevIL for that matter.. i just want a simple command line app that takes explicit inputs and pushes out the required files.. I don't need it to load whatever crazy image format i might prefer, i dont need it to resize my images. i dont need it to compress, or modify my map in anyway. i dont care about features because thats all lua now.

I would be happy with a stripped out version that takes bmp only. and gives me the smf smt combo.

The archive in the ppa is 3 releases old.

why does spring have to be such a pain in the ass. the tools are shit to non existant, the file formats are fucking weird and non standard. team colour instead of alpha on tex1 i mean seriously WTF.

IMHO springRTS could do with a good forking and strip down. oh well..
/rant
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Sorry about shitting in the mapconv svn. I think it may have merged my changes into it, which is the reason for linux incompatibility. You can try to checkout an older version, before my mucking up of things. (1+ year old)

Map looks great, the only thing im unsure of is the brown fields in the center. They will tend to force an inconsistent sense of scale.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Beherith wrote:Map looks great, the only thing im unsure of is the brown fields in the center. They will tend to force an inconsistent sense of scale.
yeah i have to dress them up with buildings and fences etc.. should give some feel for perspective..

the screenshots are missing the latest textures that incoorperate makeshift paths and better looking "farmland" , some more manually placed features including picasso's stuff from earlier.

there are some new features licenced under CC0 and some CC-by. depending on the source material. I would like to release feature set archives much like springfeatures but smaller and more theme based.

I'm still working my way through the massive to-do list.. I also want to add a flooded option.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

I'm starting to sort out the splat maps now.. and i need to identify one more thing.

from others experience is it worth giving sand its own detail texture?

this is how i wil basically split it up
* Grass - obvious
* Rock - obvious
* Dirt - for roads and farms,and a little under the features
* sand? - obvious

metal spots will have no splat defined. around their fringe i will put dirt..

Return to “Map Creation”